Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Have you heard this phrase?

Have you heard this phrase?2011-01-20T19:58:36+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other Have you heard this phrase?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Shadow Nexus

Have you heard this, “Do you fear success?” First time, I looked at them like they were crazy. I thought, “What?? That makes no sense.” I realized later that they didn’t understand my disability and many others after. I need to know I’m not the only that’s heard this.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Filmbuff1984: The week before I opened my business I was terrified. I could think of at least 1000 reasons not to become self employed, and only 1 to do it. I had a sixteen year old daughter who looked up to me even though my life untill then was a dissaster. I talked myself through, and took the business one day at a time. That was nineteen years ago, and I never looked back. Soon I found out that almost everyone is terrified when they are swimming in unknown waters. Call their bluff and show them you are qualified for the task, even if you have to tread water yourself untill you can actually do it. So in closing I have to say yes to “do you fear success”. I heard it from the only person on earth that could actually cause me to fail. “ME”.

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

I really meant about traditional jobs. You fear success, so you can’t get a job. Which I thought was insane and made no sense. I really wanted a job badly and worked my ass off trying. On independent business, fearing success is not the issue. Fearing I will fall flat on my ass(again) is the issue. Logic says I have a really good idea and it will make money. Getting past the irrational is the problem.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, Filmbuff, I heard that often enough, too. And while I can see that it is the case with some people some of the time, for me the answer was always, no, I fear failure. I fear starting on another project that will not get finished, another job where I don’t get the raises or promotions that I need, a freelance career that goes nowhere because I’m not good at selling myself, another resume that will not even get me an interview, another class where my grades deteriorate from A+ to F within one semester. So I have to say that for me the answer has been that I dream of success, but I fear failure. :-(

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wanted to add, that Ray Kurzweil says “failure is success deferred”. So.. working on taking fear out of the equation 8)

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

“Failure is success deferred.”

I like that. From Ray’s lips to God’s ears….

There’s an old joke: “I’m not afraid of of flying, I’m afraid of crashing!” I suspect that’s what many ADDers are afraid of—crashing (not success).

With the job market in the tank, some economists think entrepreneurial start-up numbers will continue to explode, out of necessity. And, once again, there’s an ADD irony here: We have lots of good ideas. But ideas require action—consistent, competent execution—to become reality. That’s why when we look inside our psyches we get nervous. But, hey, the people who OUGHT to be nervous are the hard-working, highly focused, steady-as-she-goes people who have a terrible business idea or no ability to respond to a quickly changing marketplace. If there’s one word that defines the 21st-century economy, it’s velocity—velocity of information, velocity of innovation, velocity of change. And it’s a lot easier to find help that’s focused than help that’s really savvy, creative, and quickly able to connect the dots.

Now, if we can just convince hiring managers of that, too….

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

“I did not fail! I just found ten thousand ways that didn’t work” Thomas Edison. This is one of my favorite quotes. One of the lessons that meant something in school. Always made me think that Edison failed school but was consider a genius. I wondered mostly about his teachers who thought he would never amount to anything. He showed them.

This post just reminded me of Thomas Edison somehow, or maybe I am just thinking of a lightbulb.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)