Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Help! Do I have ADD??

Help! Do I have ADD??2010-11-28T06:12:57+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Do I Have it? Help! Do I have ADD??

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am 20 yrs old. I have been in college off and on since i graduated. I got put on Academic Probation at school. I just keep flunkin out! Its been this way my whole life. I was always the kid in trouble at school I basically lived in ISS bc they said I was always a distraction in class. At one time they even thought I had a reading problem. Teachers always told me I had ADD and needed 2 get checked they even talked 2 my mother but I have one of them moms that doesnt “believe” in ADD. Its always been like I think im listening and then when the teacher gets threw im like dang I didnt hear anything. Im constantly talking and people never think im listening. People have always gotten mad at me for being fidgety and making noises constantly. Sometimes it takes me like an hour to read 1 page its like I read it but then when Im done I never know what I read. Please help me does this sound consistent with ADD??

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Hi Rachel.

Sure sounds like you have it. Have you taken the online test here? Word of warning: it just tells you if you’re on the right track in determining whether you have it. But you need a diagnosis from a doctor to be sure. The test here will give you a good starting point.

Good luck. (And p.s. if you do have it, at least you caught it early enough. That’s important. A lot of us only finally figured out later in life, after so many missed opportunities)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does your college offer any student health services? If so, that might be the fast track to a referral, and treatment or accommodations if they are appropriate. Many post-secondary institutions these days are making great efforts to help students with learning disabilities succeed. You could have ADD, but you might also have other learning disabilities. Tell them what your previous teachers have said about suspecting that you have ADD – it will be a big help in getting you an appointment and possibly a diagnosis. You are now old enough that you don’t need your mother’s permission to seek help. Remember: She loves you, but nobody knows everything and everybody is wrong sometimes. It would be a tragedy if her ignorance destroyed your future. Deep down, that’s the last thing she would want. Good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I tried taking the test but for some reason it will not let me.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I took the test and it told me I have the combined ADHD. Now what do I do? Whats it mean?

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

Combined subtype means that you have symptoms of both the Inattention subtype and the hyperactive/impulsive subtype. The test is not definiative though. You need to get a formal diagnosis.

The next step would be to speak to your family Doctor about it. They may be willing to do an assessment on you, or they may refer you to a Psychiatrist.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I saw the video on the pbs channel and I recognized myself..when I took the test I tested 9 out 9 on all 3 sections! what does that mean? does that mean I have a very extreme case or what? I am 39 yrs old and I feel happy that Im finding some kind of possible solution to my problems..Im also feeling like why did it take me this long to find out whats going on with me….procrastination, major disorganization, not able to focus for long periods of time and a whole list of other things..

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)