Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Help from confused.com!

Help from confused.com!2019-05-08T18:13:39+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? ADHD/ADD in Adults Help from confused.com!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

sara123
    Participant

Hi there, as yet undiagnosed but the more I look back on my life and relationships and friendships the more convinced I am that I have a mixed type ADHD. I spoke to our local mental health team (I am in the UK) and the diagnosed generalised anxiety disorder 🙄. I totally feel that this is only part of a bigger picture.

So I want to know how to take it further with my doctor without looking like a self diagnosing mad woman!

Also, obviously ADHD is all the time.but does anyone have days or a series of days where they feel they are representing as more “normal” when you doubt if you do have it and then others when it couldn’t be anything else? This seems a ridiculous question but I feel better able to cope some days over others and wanted to know if it is a thing or if perhaps I don’t really have it after all. Thanks

REPORT ABUSE

olsonpb
    Participant

It’s my adhd normal. Sorry about this wordiness. I guess I’m in the mood for journaling, Just not alone. When I ran 6-10 miles a day, drank 16 oz or more Coke, Dr Pepper, after school and before I went to bed, or chocolate shakes and seemingly ate constantly it was much less inconsistent. I could then tolerate the ADHD, because it was always covered up with activity, mental and physical. With the before bed soda and being exhausted, I felt I never had a sleep problem. I was fit, I led, except for sugar, a heathy life, etc..,.
    I really did, but I knew every time things slowed down, that I was different, that there were things I was missing. Things I observed that no one paid attention to, and things many other people talked about, or did, that I didn’t understand, or thought were irrelevant to anything, or desperately wanted to some how learn to understand, and learn how to fit in but never did.
    Despite all efforts, in the end the things I did were mostly good, sometimes important, but never really directed by me, and never really related to who or what I wanted to be, or what I wanted to do. I was so busy doing, unconsciously, or knowingly trying to find what I wanted to do, what I could do and at the same time never being able to do so. That sounds superficial to me, and is way more than what you asked.
    As far as anxiety for me that didn’t really happen until others around me pointed out the flaws, (I was about 3 years old) and when eventually I started (age 4) pointing them out inwardly to myself, and when I finally discovered, that there were areas or situations that I really didn’t have immediate control or awareness over in my own life, or understanding others lives in ways that others seemed to never blink about.
    And yet there were some situations where I was always confident, and usually competent. And occasionally the former was inconsistent.
    Not up or down, just not always the same, sometimes really good, sometimes really bad, sometimes, seemingly perfectly normal. But the differences were due to what others would see as inconsequential minor instances leading to a different chain of events. I’ll leave now.

REPORT ABUSE

olsonpb
    Participant

As far as madly self diagnosing. That for me, is also more the norm. You have to learn as much as you can, advocate for yourself and “listen”, but also listen to your knowledge at the same time. I’ve had counselors and Therapists who were at best less than helpful. Looking back the clues were, “Quick diagnosis”, quick “uninterested” medication dispersal,
    And long repeated week to week aimless expensive talk sessions, without any sense that your issues are really being learned about or dealt with. I’ve also had really good Counselors, that helped tremendously. But I haven’t found the person who helps tremendously and really gets ADHD at the same time. But I am still learning.

REPORT ABUSE

sara123
    Participant

Hi there thanks for your reply. Sounds like me at times 😊

REPORT ABUSE

sara123
    Participant

Hi there thanks for your reply. Sounds like me at times 😊 It does seem mad to self diagnose doesn’t it but the professionals don’t seem too interested in what I have to say. oh well will keep going. thanks.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)