Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Here we go again…

Here we go again…2012-02-25T15:35:11+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Lost/Losing My Job Here we go again…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

firechild

My window seems to be five years and right now I’m heading into the final semester of school meaning I’ll be returning to the real world work force again anti scared shitless. I love school I excel at school but the real world is a different story. I’m frightened too that my patterns will repeat themselves and I five years I’ll be back where I started.

REPORT ABUSE

Phil, Just Phil.
    Participant

Yeah I was on the 9 month shuffle until a. Stint on unemployment pushed mt to my current company, looking for a 12 month job. 3 years later my boss practically pushed me to another department. Never gonna make team leader in the old one. Moved to corporate, stayed for 3 years and them my new boss sent me to an onside role with one of our corporate clients. This was great as they needed someone to constantly put out fires for em in data networks and such, now I do accounts payable as well as fixing data issues, plus I take on anything left field that the rest of the team just look at and shrug their shoulders. Well respected enough where I am, they know I am bad with the follow up But don’t like it anymore (once I fix it I lose interest) not getting any further either, passed over 6 times this year for people who are more thorough but boring.

Looking for a new direction, maybe accounting? Software does the boring stuff nowadays.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

I stopped counting at 65 jobs . when my patristic doctor, finally said I just was not worker material. hard to take ,but I now know it is true. I am now better off in the long run, even though it is hard to take and I feel a little ashamed. can be hard on the self esteem.

this is why the sooner you get your kids learning and dealing with their  own struggles the better off every ones  life will be.

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

MRMcKay, I worked in accounting for almost 10 years. This was before I knew I had ADHD.  Before I got my degree, I had a long string of 1-year or less stints at various administrative jobs.

The reason I was able to stick it out in my accounting job is because I was a sales tax auditor, which meant I dealt a lot of different companies, even going to their places of business, which varied things up for me. The job also involved knowing a lot of law and research. I actively avoided long-term projects. I also had a fair amount of autonomy in the job (deciding how to approach each audit, scheduling, etc.).

If you can tolerate accounting, I strongly suggest you look at jobs that give you a lot of different projects, like auditing or forensic accounting.

There is still plenty of boring work left to in accounting, even with computers, but the structure can actually be helpful if you get a job with enough variety for mental stimulation.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)