Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Here's a really big part of the whole Holistic approach to recovery-continued

Here's a really big part of the whole Holistic approach to recovery-continued2012-07-28T05:15:00+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments A Holistic Approach Here's a really big part of the whole Holistic approach to recovery-continued

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Robbo

wups! dubble dubble, boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boingboing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing

Hmmm, took my ritalin way late today…

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Interesting. There’s a thing about using the 12 steps like in AA in the book I just read, Delivered from Distraction. I didn’t really agree with what he said. That’s because I was in AA about 24 years ago. (was) It’s best to do them the way they’re described in the 12 step program book. That’s a process for recovering from alcoholism. ADHD is not the same. The AA way is an excellent say to star a relationship with God, but in that case a person is extremely desperate, hitting bottom. In my case it was a fortunate experience. My addiction to being a party animal was not nearly as bad as most of the people I met there. I was mostly just lonely.

98% of that book is great though. I still recommend it. in fact I feel like I have a lot in common with the way Dr. Edward Hallowell thinks. He’s got ADD. Takes a very positive approach. I have a feeling it’s much more difficult for me. That’s impossible to know though. I practically from a different planet. I do plan on writing books. I’m about to start my first one.

An improvisational fiction based biographical styled look at the many faces of ADHD. (say that 5 times fast) As I have experienced it. Maybe having almost no real education about writing will prove to be an advantage. No rules!. :-) no constraints. I’ll be allowed to invent my own words. Just need a good and patient editor. I actually have taken, but not finished a couple writing classes in community college. Just to see if I could get better grades than in high school. It’s hard to get enthusiastic about writing, considering the number of so called writers clotting the Internet blogosphere… So much of the writing on the Internet makes me feel embarrassed about my own lack of education. I see my own spelling and grammar mistakes everywhere…

8-31-12

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

Agreed on the twelve steps for ADHD alone. My main concern is one of association. It gives the impression that people with ADHD have given in to their weakness, and that willpower is all that’s needed to fix the problem. I understand that most alcoholics have a clinical predisposition to addiction, but ADHD isn’t a predisposition; it’s like coming out of the womb with a bottle of gin in your hand, metaphorically speaking.

I can imagine some dim witted politician latching onto the idea as a cheap way to treat ADHD. Not to mention the appeal it would have to the religiously inclined looking for divine intervention for their kids.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Yep, well said. Too bad politicians don’t realize how dim their wits are. :-)

P.S. I found that Journey into Dyslexia on youtube. Just didn’t see it directly in front of my eyes last time… Funny how that happens to us… I’m sure I don’t have it bad enough to need any kind of therapy for it. PTSD is something I need to get more honest about though. It’s just difficult to face the most extreme demonz out of our past…

on and on we go… We’re all just here to grow.

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

Going back to the list of positive things – this is my fav!11.possessing the mind of a Pentium-with only 2 MBs of RAM.

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

Opps hit return and posted. ok try again

11.possessing the mind of a Pentium-with only 2 MBs of RAM.

Finally an explanation of how my mind works. Now if I could just get more RAM.

I’m glad there have been posts about the 12 steps and ADHD. I do apply them as I am familiar with 12 step programs. But after some time there I realized I didn’t relate to a lot of the experiences. Yes my life was not so good with drinking as a way of self medication but I was not the raging alcoholic that I thought I was. Just annoying and over emotional. And it would just amplify all my ADHD symptoms. I realized this when after being sober for a year I added too much work and stuff going on. It was great at first lots of things going on at a million miles and off of 2 MBs of ram. Then it hit me. My life is still out of control. Luckily when I did do 12 step stuff it was about the same time I was diagnosed with ADHD. So as part of step stuff you do an inventory of yourself. I did an ADHD inventory as well. Both positive and negative. And left my judge out it. It was because of that I realized what was going on with me when my life got crazy again and there was no alcohol to point to. I could go on and on about the differences but I said to my therapist 12 steps can help in a way that they provide a structure a reference point to start from. But with ADHD we are dealing with a different type of thing than alcoholism. I do know some people who are both alcoholic and ADHD.

So back to train of thought. I stuck with going through all the steps and did them one month at a time. This was the first time I ever followed anything in order. I’m glad I stayed off the alcohol and still am. It gave me the chance to really see what was going on with the ADHD. I still don’t drink at the moment not because of some fear of relapse but out of the knowledge that my ADHD symptoms get magnified and that’s scary enough.

I also found surprisingly I don’t have too hard of a time being around people drinking and I’m not. I’ve come to find out that I have a better time. And life is more enjoyable. I do miss a good glass of wine. I also tell myself that the wine isn’t going anywhere it’s there if I want some. My life is however going somewhere.

So for now I just enjoy whatever type of drink I’ve come up with. I’ve come across lots of interesting things. Lately coconut water with lime and cucumber is my favorite.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)