Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

High Voltage and ADHD

High Voltage and ADHD2010-03-18T19:53:18+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community High Voltage and ADHD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Years back, stepping out of a communication truck, I was hit by high voltage arc’d from nearby powerlines, traveled via my headphones on my head and out out my feet. causing partial lost of my feet. This was followed by 2 years of speech therapy, followed by cataracts in both eyes and also heart bundle branch block (BBB). Over the years I’ve notice that my attention span and memorys of the past just isn’t what it used to be. I’ve been diagnosed as having ADHD and was told it was probably cause by the high voltage hit. I never had attention issues while attending school while a kid and always had high marks. Question is: Is there any evidence linking high voltage hits to ADHD?

Thanks.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

There is all kinds of evidence that brain injury can cause ADHD symptoms. The most common disorder from a Brain Injury is depression. But many other disorders including Anxiety and ADHD and even OCD can come out of a brain injury. We’re actually working on some videos about this, with a couple of experts who have been dealing with this subject.

One of them said that many Doctor’s fail to ask about Brain injuries. But if someone has ADHD symptoms, yet it isn’t there in the family, in other words it’s not obviously genetic, then a brain injury is the most likely explanation. He realized this after working with three different ADHD individuals who had no ADHD in the family. Finally he asked one about a brain injury, and sure enough, the guy had suffered a brain injury a few years early. “Why didn’t you mention this earlier?!” The guy replied, “You didn’t ask.” Turned out the other two patients were in the same situation. Both had suffered brain injuries and neither had been asked about it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the reply rick… Any idea on when these videos will be out and how I can obtain a copy?

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

We’re working on the videos as fast as we can. We’re putting up one every Tuesday and Friday. The problem is, as with many things in life, getting the funding to be able to dedicate the time to shoot, edit and have them up here.

Anyone know a Millionaire who wants to help out a revolutionary website about ADHD? ;-)

Or should it be… ;-(

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

However, never heard of high voltage creating changes like that. The closest I can think of is ECT (shock therapy) but that does not result in ADHD symptomatology.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

one question was the power line AC or DC current Ive seen them do different things Exp:

shocked at same relieve Voltage and Amps from hand to elbow Dc jerked away Where AC had a clamping effect on hand ECT i do know is DC where most lines are AC:

220v* AC=311v DC

AC / .707 = DC

220 the highest in house after step-down from pole

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

220 volts? You must be in the UK or Europe. Here in North America, household current is 110.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Larynxa,

i am a electrical contractor in California, if you look at your breaker box you will see some breakers marked 120VAC and some 220VAC at 15, 20, 30 amps

the US 120VAC was deemed safe for general use by congress at the creation of the department of energy;220V AC is what your electric water heater, stove, air conditioner , washer and dryer use for power. That why there is a different plug stile

the uk uses a peak of 230V AC at 50Hz +/-10%

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Why, this topic is absolutely fascinating!

In just a handful of posts, I’ve learned all about electrical currents (in the US and UK), the effect they can have on brain function, and a wonderful coinage: “symptomatology.” Wonder who came up with that one?

What is truly amazing is how far we’ve come in the last 100 years in plumbing the human personality. Freud and Jung revealed the enormous power of the subconscious to shape behavior—an idea that was completely alien to people before their pioneering work. More recently, we have come to understand that neurology also plays a significant role in defining personality, perhaps more consequentially than psychology. Now we’re beginning to understand how certain exogenous factors (like a bad shock or blow to the head [and who knows, perhaps diet and exercise?]) can affect neurology, in much the same way that traumatic events (combat or abuse, for example) can affect psychology. It turns out that personality is a complex palimpsest. And for people who suffer from mental-health issues, it can make it hard to know where to turn first. Therapist? Neurologist? Psychiatrist?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)