Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

How come there are jobs that won't allow anyone in if they are ADHD?

How come there are jobs that won't allow anyone in if they are ADHD?2009-11-30T22:36:41+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace ADHD-Friendly Careers How come there are jobs that won't allow anyone in if they are ADHD?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

adtheone9

My biggest problem in work is the inability to do somthing i find annoying this is do to my adhd and i would love to learn how to cope with my problem. So if anyone could give me advice please help me. By sending some to me it will be appreciated

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Adtheone9, is it that the task is annoying to you, or that it just doesn’t interest you?

If you find the task annoying, is it because you have to struggle so hard to make yourself do it?

When you have ADHD, your brain is driven by what’s interesting to you, not by what’s important to somebody else. So, you need to find some way to make the task genuinely interesting to you.  Kind of like the “spoonful of sugar” that Mary Poppins sang about.

If you can only stay interested in a task for a few minutes at a time, then the archived webinar “Short Bursts of Controlled Panic” (http://totallyadd.com/webinar-archives) has some ideas that might help you.

And it’s fun, too!

REPORT ABUSE

mjstelly

I’ve been fired from a job for having ADD. Although for them to admit it directly would have set them up for a lawsuit. I thought I’d try a different strategy for this new job and tell my boss about my ADD. Three months later, I was fired with the reason that, “I don’t get it and never will.” I asked, “Get what?” The question remained unanswered and I was asked to get my things and go.

I contacted the EEOC to see if I had a legal cause of action. They said that by informing my employer, I essentially gave them cause to fire me because of the liability I represented.  So, the take away for me is that you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I hope others have a more positive experience with this than I did. It’s left me with a real sense of hopeless- and helpless-ness.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)