Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

How do I come out of a hyper-focus episode?

How do I come out of a hyper-focus episode?2011-12-29T10:03:53+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community How do I come out of a hyper-focus episode?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Chica

Oh OK now I get it! Good advice Dr J!

Have been on Concerta for 8 weeks and getting a little confused why some days are full and varied so I can’t believe how easy life is for neuro-typicals, then other times I get aboard some un-named train of thought and sweep off into monomania for a day.

The more I get to know my ADD the more I think lining up my morning just right is what pays off.

The thought of too much planning and structure is suffocating, but mornings were always a weak, low energy and aimless so there is lots of room to pack in new structure and habits without feeling like I am sacrificing anything.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Ok Dr. J, so it’s sorta like taking careful aim to get all your ducks in a row before you pull the trigger?

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Cool advice.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hyper-focus,too. I used to forget to go to sleep. because I’d be so focused on something. I always lost track of time.

So I made sleep something to hyper-focus on. Sleep had to become a project for me. I usually can’t prioritize,

but I now have sleep as a priority. I learned that without sleep I can’t function. So it’s a priority over getting anything else done.

Bottom line: I decided that I was a priority — I have to take care of myself and get enough sleep not so I can get other stuff done, but because I am worth it.

You have to decide: which is more worth it or worth doing: some sanding and painting project or your own health and sanity? Pick. Right now! Choose one. And stick with it. I hope you chose YOU. If you didn’t, rethink it, OK? Like the song says, when you’re faced with the choice to sit it out [read: hyper-focus] or dance “I hope you dance . . .” Choose you, dancing.

Hope this helps.

Best to you!!

Cured

P.S. GO TO SLEEP NOW!!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)