Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

How do I find help?

How do I find help?2011-05-12T18:32:24+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! Finding Help How do I find help?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I’m actually too young for this site, but whatever. ANYWHO- for school im doing a presentation on AD/HD, and i need help with this one slide. “FINDING HELP,” so i need to know how do find help, and where, who, why?.

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

You mean, where to go for help if you have ADHD?

For kids (not parents) I haven’t seen much that wasn’t written or produced by a clueless adult trying to make ADHD sound so much cuter than it is. (Even the stuff written for adults can be pretty condescending.) Maybe someone else can list some books for kids that are not annoying. My son has it and I wish I had resources for him.

For adults, there is all kinds of stuff.

There is http://www.chadd.org, and about a million books.

Are you looking for information on support groups, information on the disorder itself (what it looks/feels like), about medication and what it does, or for strategies on how to deal with ADHD?

Most people get their diagnosis from a doctor or psychiatrist, sometimes a psychologist. And whoever it is should be knowledgeable about ADHD (a lot of doctors are not.) These would be people who are qualified to prescribe medications – I mean, that’s the main reason for seeing them.

Other types of help could come from a therapist (who helps deal with emotional issues around ADHD), a coach (who might support an person with ADHD through a process, such as organizing their schedule), or a professional organizer (who’d help with clearing away the heaps of clutter and arranging the home so you can find your stuff.) And support groups of people who share the same challenges can be helpful in finding out you’re not alone. Then I guess there is the category of tutors who could help with school work, someone trained to help with learning disabilities. There’s also diet & exercise stuff that can help. It’s a pretty big topic.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

And of course the Forums here are a great resource.

There is lots of information. The trick is to not try and learn it all at once, or to wait before trying strategies and tools until you’ve read every single thing you can.

Start making small changes and see if they help. Try one out, and don’t start a second until that first one is clearly working or clearly not.

It’s just so easy to get overwhelmed or feel you have to know everything first.

REPORT ABUSE

gypsybelle

So, Rick, can you tell me anyway how to get someone to see me to assess med use now that I am on a beta blocker for cardiac problems? SO far neither my family dr or myself have been able to get any appointment with anyone. She wont take on the task because she doesnt know as much about adult ADD as I do. I live in Hamilton, she is in Burlington.

REPORT ABUSE

gypsybelle

Well, either I am posting wrong, or somehow I am not getting replies to these posts. I went to the place that seemed appropriate to post about this, and I still have not been able to find where there may be an answer…maybe I missed it somewhere…quite possible..could I possibly get info again about the way to go about posting about how to find help?

Thanks again.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

I found myself struggling with similar frustration, and never could get any hand holding with this. It seems that adult ADD isn’t well understood by most practitioners and you have to really know what your goals are and then go doc shopping. This means calling and making phone or office appts with doctor after doctor until you can make some progress. It took me five tries to get the type of help I was looking for, and the entire time I had no idea if I was headed in the right direction. I wish I could give you a phone number and presto! If you are lucky there might be someone on this forum from your area who can help. I am in Oregon, so… Not much help. CHADD isn’t very active in my area, so I had to just pound the pavement. If you can’t connect with anyone who has already been successful getting treatment in your area, please don’t despair – keep trying every strategy you can think of, and your persistence will likely pay off. I hope you’ll let us know what you find out – it could help others with the same challenges 🙄

REPORT ABUSE

gypsybelle

I am not giving up for sure. I have noticed though, with having a coach once a month or so, I have been able to tackle things a little better. I started noticing that I have been keeping my apartment in better shape, and cleaner, have been keeping my dishes mostly done, although not always right at the time. I still struggle to get laundry done, but eventually if I have nothing more to wear I get it done. Motivation or no motivation has been one of my worst problems. the way stuff goes around and around in my head is literally mind boggling…a decision followed by a counterdecision, or things I should be doing instead just immobilizes me. This is other than the mornings when I have no motivation at all. I am struggling to get to bed at a decent time, be able to get to sleep even though I take stuff to help [latest: 3mg melatonin, my beta blocker med, an advil for my arthritis and then just before I pop into bed. Rescue Remedy.] and I have to rub bengay on my right thigh because I have a very jumpy nerve in it that wakes me up if I dont do that. I love the later evening time because it is quiet and nothing is expected of me, so I end up doing stuff like genealogy research, or plalying a game on the computer. I think I am going to take my computer mouse to my fiance who lives next door and get him to keep it until morning, and maybe the tv converter too….! Anyway at the beginning of this rant I said I think some things have been helped by a coach. I never thought I would be a person who could find one, and then I did..and it is free. I am grateful.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The best result I have found for all of emotional issues has been Health Kinesiology. Professional practioners make the necessary emotional corrections in the body and follow it with the necessary natural supplements that have been lacking or depleted. It is the best known natural medicine that is available that I know of. The practice is being taught all over the world and information is easily found on the internet. Best of health to you all. Excellent Health is a journey and I hope I have helped you along your way. May God bless you and keep you.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would love to find an ADHD coach in Manhattan Beach or Pacific Palisades. I read an article that stated some therapists are also ADHD coaches. It’s very difficult for me to find a list of these professionals, let alone a short list. Frustrating!

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

SurferGirl, you might want to check this out:

http://add.site-ym.com/?page=disclaimer

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, this is an extremely helpful website. Loads of information. Thank you, Wgreen!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Found this on the website you suggested, Wgreen:

GAO Says College-Entrance Exams Fall Short on Accommodations

Passing this article along to my younger cousin, who will surely find it interesting. Thanks again!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am in Mid-Michigan and can’t find any medical help for addressing ADHD. Ideas anyone? I clicked on the websites offered above – “no matches found”

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)