Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

How Do I Know If The Evaluation Was Valid?

How Do I Know If The Evaluation Was Valid?2011-05-01T02:07:05+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community How Do I Know If The Evaluation Was Valid?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I already posted this question before I think, but maybe somebody like Dr. J could answer maybe?

I was diagnosed with ADD by a psychiatrist slightly less than a year ago, and the evaluation was two sessions, 45 minutes each, and a written survey beforehand which was about 5 pages. Inattentive subtype. I gave him a brief overview of my childhood and my habits, and he seemed to agree that I was in fact ADD. I paid about $150 for the evaluation. (I thought I was getting a bargain)

Here’s the thing though: I also have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder), and recently started seeing a therapist (psychologist) again that I’ve been seeing off and on for a couple of years. Because my anxiety clearly does make it harder for me to focus, he is now skeptical about the ADD diagnosis.

The psychologist does not have much background in ADD, but he has a ton of experience with GAD. He’s also seen a lot more of me than the psychiatrist has, so he might have a better idea of where my anxiety is coming from, my personality in general, etc.

I tried three different medications- Straterra, Biphentin and Vyvanse. Straterra caused me intense nausea, and the other two increased my anxiety. Vyvanse increased my anxiety and irritability to an alarming degree.

The psychiatrist is now reluctant to prescribe me any more stimulant medications, and I now find myself having doubts about the diagnosis. Between the anxiety and the ADD, it now becomes a “which came first?” question. The medications (when they actually worked) didn’t seem to make a huge difference.

I’ve noticed that other evaluations run up around $2000 and are harder to come by. I am not financially well-off, and this scares me.

I’m not sure I’ve got the balls to go back to my psychiatrist (who honestly seems like a pretty well-meaning guy) and tell him I want a second opinion.

Do you think I need a second opinion?

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

If it gives you piece of mind; then go get a second opinion. Would your health insurance cover the $2000 evaluations charge?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

a good doctor never gets ticked about you wanting a second opinion. I’ve been told that by several pretty good doctors. I keep reading that ADHD is hard to diaginose and my doctor says it’s one of those diagnosis you always have to be willing to reexamine.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Megatron,

I agree with ladybug3 if you have concerns a second opinion is a good idea….. I also agree with Peacock that no doctor should be afraid of second opinions…… When u get work done on your home they say get three estimates. I think with your own body 2 evaluations are surely warranted. I would suggest to you MEGATRON that you should educate yourself about ADHD and the testing systems that are used today to diagnose ADHD. Should you decide to get a second opinion you want to be prepared.

In my honest opinion you should get as thorough as an evaluation you can get so your specific issues/concerns can be addressed after/if the diagnosis of ADHD is made. Even then I might suggest you need patience as you will find out as you educate yourself ADHD may affect you differently then another related to you or whom you may know that has been diagnosed with ADHD.

This site is an awesome place to start and I suggest that you seek out as many sites, advocates and professionals as you can in regards to ADHD as this will offer you the greatest chance of success in managing this disorder should you be diagnosed with it.

All the best and please keep us abreast of your progress.

REPORT ABUSE

lkbyron

I’ve been suffering for years with anxiety/depression and have transverse myelitis. I think I have ADD but really need a diagnosis.

I see a psychiatrist and I am on Celexa. Would like to chat and need support.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

the which came first question is a difficult one and i’m wrangling with it too.

all this psychiatric stuff is just collections of symptoms that they try to collect into little diagnostic boxes, but it doesn’t usually fit so neatly.

if the stimulants are skyrocketing your anxiety then it’s not going to help your attention either way, so try treating the anxiety and see if it helps the adhd symptoms. if it does, maybe the adhd symptoms were secondary to anxiety. it’s shitty to endure these long processes of elimination but i think it’s all they’ve got.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ikbyron……….May I ask the cause of your transverse myelitis. There are support groups just google “support groups transverse myelitis”

You need to have confidence in your psyche and therapist that they are truly working for your best interest. You need to

communicate with your T and P about your concerns. Re ADD/ADHD check out all the videos here (all of them) also check other

sources the web offers on how to pick a therapist and or Psychiatrist.

Out of shell “all this psychiatric stuff is just collections of symptoms that they try to collect into little diagnostic boxes, but it doesn’t usually fit so

neatly” pretty powerful statement…… I tend to agree but in that I hope when I get enough information in a box proper

treatment/management of the collection of issues can begin…….. unfortunately it seems to me that the mind does not always

allow for the perfect dissemination of symptoms as there are so many environmental and other factors to which has an effect

on our brain at any given time.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)