Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

how do you bring it up?

how do you bring it up?2010-11-04T10:44:43+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Who to Tell? how do you bring it up?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

for the last month I have been substituting at a daycare, they love me and plan to hire me full time as soon as a job becomes available.

The problem is I don’t know how to tell them I have add. I feel like I should have told them in my interview but I didn’t know how to bring it up, mostly because I had only been officially diagnosed the week before and had only been on meds for about a month and still didnt know what to expect from myself. now a month later I am seeing that my meds are helping me to pay attention to people when they are talking, my mind doesnt wander as much and I am finding it easier to get motivated to do the things I need to do.

So how do I bring this up at work and what should I tell them?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Never tell them in an interview, and don’t tell them if there is no benefit from them knowing. If you’re managing well with meds and have no need for concessions, then there is no point to letting them know that you have ADD.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m glad the meds are helping and you’re doing better at work. Before you disclose anything though, I’d suggest learning a bit more about the disability accommodation legislation that’s effective wherever you are. (These things vary from place to place.) Then ask yourself what, if any, benefit there would be to you in disclosing this to your employer now or in future. What might the drawbacks of disclosure be (in the real world)?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)