Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

how do you called a person who is seeing a number, but it is another one ?

how do you called a person who is seeing a number, but it is another one ?2012-11-03T00:35:22+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community how do you called a person who is seeing a number, but it is another one ?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Its funny, but I could read that paragraph perfectly, yet still notice every single spelling error in properly spelled paragraphs. I blame my third grade teacher who gave me candy for perfect spelling tests (now that’s motivation to an 8 year old).

In school I would try to finish things so quickly I would make errors. I’d be one of the first to finish the tests but even in my best subjects, often get things wrong due to misreading one word.

Ironically, though I notice spelling errors in what I’m reading, when I write I’m usually trying to get my thoughts out so quickly (before I lose them), that I often make errors (which I don’t want to take the time to proof).

Depending on where there error is taking place it could be dyslexia, for example looking at the wrong unmarked line on a ruler or measuring tape might be dislexia, or if your transposing the 3/8 measurement with the 1/2 measurement on the previous line that could be dislexia too. But if you’re looking at a 1 and seeing a 3 (where there isn’t one nearby to transpose) is likely something else.

OMG Larynxa, I just read the symptoms on

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

And I totally have that!!! Maybe.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I suspect I have it too. Difficulties with abstract spatial reasoning and all.

But I’m an absolute wiz at spelling & grammar. I’ve even been able to read upside-down & backwards, since before my third birthday!

REPORT ABUSE

GALIN
    Participant

I EVERY ON

I HAVE SEEN MY NEUROPSY AND SHE SAY THAT I MY CASE IS NO MAGICAL REMEDY FOR MY PROBLEM.

I HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL AND TAKE THE WAYS I NEED FOR SELECTING THE RIGHT NUMBER OR LETTER.

SO IN MY CASE I HAVE TO TAKE A BRAKE AFTER SELECTING MY NUMBER THAT I NEED FOR MY JOB, AND RECHECK IF IS IT OK .AND THAN DO THE JOB. FOR ONE TIME A DAY IS OK BUT I’M A MACHINISTE THE THINK IS 1000 TIMES A DAYS I CAN’T DO THAT ALL THE TIME IT TAKE TO LONG AND I DO NOT THINK EMPLOYER WOULD GIVE ME THE TIME FOR IT. SO NOW I’M SEEING A CONSELOR FOR MAYBE A CARRIER CHANGE. I WILL TRIED TO FIND A PROFESSION THAT GO MORE WITH MY FORCE AND NOT FORGETTING WHAT I HAVE LEARN FROM THE PASS DOMAIN.

AND CARRIE YOU SHOULD ASK YOUR HUSBAND TO SEE SOME ONE FOR THE ADHD WITH OUT THE H FOR HYPER BECAUSE HE MAY HAVE IT TOO.

THANKS YOU EVERY ONE FOR YOUR PRECIOUS WORDS

ALAIN

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

When we were making the documentary, ADD & Loving It?!, I was surprised to learn that 40% of ADHD kids have a learning disorder. In fact Patrick has dyslexia.

Richard Branson, billionaire owner of Virgin Airlines, Virgin Record, Virgin Mobile, etc.. has both dyslexia and dyscalculia. Dyscalculia is a problem with processing numbers. In the talk I was at Mr. Branson said something like, “I have trouble adding up columns of two digit numbers. So I hire people who can.”

A powerful lesson in delegating. But of course the trick is getting the boss to see that having help with your spelling or math would mean you could focus on what you do well–ideas, design, or whatever.

The thing I have learned to do, though I don’t do it consistently, is read over what I wrote. But having worked with many people with severe dyslexia, I get that it for most people, it’s not that simple. The other thing I use is Dragon software so that I can speak and let the computer handle the spelling. (Funny, I have the headset on to use the software, and I”m typing this by hand! D’oh!)

REPORT ABUSE

Participant

And is it just me or does ‘dyscalculia’ sound like Dracula’s overly dramatic sister?

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

And is it just me or does ‘dyscalculia’ sound like Dracula’s overly dramatic sister?

Yes.

I have always thought so. Glad to see someone else came up with the Dracula similarity.

Hey – Dracula is not in spell check.

REPORT ABUSE

Participant

No, Dracula is not in the spell check. He’s under your bed, waiting!!!! Bwa ha ha!

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

uh oh. I’ll go check.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Actually he’s hanging upside down in your closet.

Did anyone see the Louis Jourdan Dracula? I thought, “this will be stupid” when it started, but he had the hair on the back of my neck standing on end!

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I am unfamiliar with Discalcula. I have Dyslexia, which messes with the way things enter my brain through my eyes. Once in my brain, I can do anything with the info.

I use rulers as an aid. When ever I am reading a plan or code or a formula or even a book, I put a ruler under the line of text I need to read. I have several eraser shields from a drafting set I use, when my dyslexia is getting really bad. The shields block the line above and below as well as limit what I see to the side. That way I am only seeing what I need to and I can concentrate on what I am reading, not the dancing letters on the rest of the page.

I took up woodworking, to help me with following directions, conceptualization, drawing, and eye-hand coordination. “Measure twice, cut once” is a mantra for woodworkers. For this dyslexic, ADD woodworker it is “slow down, read twice, slow down, measure twice, slow down, read twice, slow down, measure twice, slow down, double check, slow down, cut”.

Everyone makes mistakes, when we hurry. ADDers and Dyslexics make even more. When we slow down, we can accomplish more than we ever could going “fast”.

REPORT ABUSE

Participant

That’s so true. I have been developing the habit of proof-reading everything I send, at least once. I have yet to do this and not find some mistake, misspelling, missing word, or confusing sentence. I have convinced myself that the extra thirty seconds or so is not a waste of my time. It’s the having to send a second, or even third message to clarify what I meant that is a waste of my time. And it wastes the time of th people receiving it.

It’s not dyslexia, it’s just not paying attention.

But I can appreciate the challenges of dyslexia. In fact there are different types of ‘word processing’ problems. Some people mis-read words, others reverse letters; a teacher told me she had a child who could read if the entire word was reversed!

And someone who knows more can add to this, but I believe the impairment is on a spectrum.

For one season of a show I created called History Bites, one of the editors had severe dyslexia. No matter how many times he read something that he had keyed onto the screen, he would miss the letter.

He would actually call his wife and spell words out to her to get them right! But he wouldn’t mis-read the words he had typed, so he’d spell it right on the phone, even though it was right there in front of him.

He was so ashamed, it was only about two months in that he felt comfortable telling me why every key had at least one typo.

Once I knew what was going on, it was fine.

He type in the name keys and titles, and I’d arrive expecting mistakes, and we’d correct them.

A small accommodation.

But it was frustrating and confusing for me to see these mistakes. I assumed he was doing a half-assed job.

When in fact he was a good editor with a knack for comedic timing.

But embarrassed.

Cause of the stigma.

Sigh.

REPORT ABUSE

Participant

Hilarious! I just wrote and sent that message, and instantly realized, I forgot to pause and proof-read it!

Habits take time, right?

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

@Rick and everyone:

I was part of a study done by UC San Francisco. Dr Whitzel was conducting it, in the mid 60’s. Dyslexia, like ADD is a spectrum disorder. Maybe that is why they often are found together. The popular theory out there was people all have natural filters in place that eliminate the extra, non-important stuff, which allows us to focus on the important stuff. Except Dyslexics. We have filters that don’t work well. Pattern recognition, certain types of motion, and spacial orientation (left, right, backwards, forwards directionality) can all be affected. I am sure Dr. J could explain it far better than I could.

For me, dyslexia makes reading a chore, because I have to read a letter at a time. I don’t recognize a word as a word. I read the letters VERY quickly, unless ADD is messing with working memory, then I can’t remember the series of characters I just read and I have to start over. I always tell people that it takes a lot of work to get things in my head, but once they are there, those things are there for ever and I can do anything with them.

Back to your point. It takes practice to do those things to accommodate our own issues. I have a tape recording of “monkey chatter” that is constantly playing in my head, which are the voices of people who have said things to me through out my entire life. They have told me what I can’t do, what I have done wrong, and barrage of “I am so disappointed” statements. The tape plays much louder, when I mess up.

Over the last year or so, I have been reprogramming my brain to react differently to situations so my ADD doesn’t come into play as much. So why not re-record that tape? It plays constantly, so why not make it work FOR me? I have been recording my own messages on that tape and replacing the old messages with “double check your work”, “slow down”, “look at the task at hand”, “check your lists”. I can’t tune out that station, so I might as well play the station I want to listen to.

Let me know if that works for anyone out there!

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

This is an interesting thread. I am good with words – writing, spelling (can read the jumbled paragraph as fluidly as normal text) – and I’m good with rotating shapes, but even if I proof-read a document a dozen times, I still find mistakes in it later, despite hours and hours of serious combing. It’s frustrating.

And I’ve never learned math. I can barely handle basic arithmetic. If I do it at all, I have to write it out on paper, or count on my fingers, and even then, am often wrong. I understood algebra, because that’s more of a logic or language thing – making two sides of an equation balance. I can add and sort of fake my way through multiplication, but I can’t subtract or do division well at all. I never learned the multiplication tables. The fallout from that is that I haven’t even attempted to balance my checkbook in over 20 years. I never know how much money I have because thinking about numbers completely freaks me out. When my kids were in early elementary school, they were being taught to count by 2s, 3s, 5s, etc. I found it helpful to think about numbers that way because I could visualize larger amounts in chunks. It’s easier if can see the units in my mind and assign colors to them – fives are red. Gave up on math a long time ago. Have always assumed I am just stupid when it comes to math. Hmm.

Dyscalcula does sound like Dracula’s sister. She is no doubt, at this very moment, wearing a white gown and wandering through a misty graveyard, looking for a mausoleum to hide in before dawn. My 13 year old son recently cajoled me into reading the original novel, Bram Stoker’s late 19th century book, “the” definitive Dracula, which is actually quite atmospheric. Stoker wrote it in the form a series of journal entries and letters by each of the different characters.

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

I’m definitely that woman wearing a white gown and wandering through a misty graveyard, looking for a mausoleum to hide in before dawn. It’s so much more interesting than what goes on in the daylight. I think Morticia Addams said it best.

“I’m just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It’s just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade. “

I’ve been reading more on dyslexia. I didn’t realize it was more that just “b” and “d” getting flipped. I always had a problem with left and right. In fact that in a dance class if I was supposed to go right I told the teacher to tell me my other left. Otherwise she could say right all she wanted I would go left.

I’ve always had a problem reading over things I work on as a graphic designer. I can look at it a hundred times and still see it wrong. Or in my case I think it’s right. But at least now I know I’m not crazy. There’s a reason.

I didn’t think that numbers rotated for me but the other day I looked at a folder with a job number ending in a 6. First look I saw a nine. Then I looked again and saw a 6. WOW! I knew that I transpose letters and numbers but that was the first time I actually caught that my brain flipped the number upside down! I wonder how may times I may have done that.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)