Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

How do you "see" words and numbers?

How do you "see" words and numbers?2011-01-21T04:23:01+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Odd Symptoms/Behaviours/Signs How do you "see" words and numbers?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author

nellie

I had a conversation with my family the other day about how we visualize numbers and words. Basically my kids were quick to tell me this is a weird question and my way of visualizing numbers is really weird :-)!

So here’s the question.

If I hear a number, in my mind I see a number line that starts at zero and then proceeds straight to ten but is lighter before 5 and darker as it gets to ten. Then it turns 90 degrees to twenty five, turns again 90 degrees again then goes to 100, where the pattern repeats to infinity in more or less the same way. I’ll spare everyone the specifics. Negative numbers do the reverse “behind ” the zero starting point.

Ok re-reading this I guess my kids are right :-)

Anyway just wondering how other people “see” numbers? What about words? For me I see a picture of the thing compared to my kids who claimed to see the word spelled out and the same for numbers.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nellie,

It sounds like you are a fairly “visual” individual; I don’t think your question is weird at all. In fact I am glad you asked this question.

I am an audiatory and kinestetic learner I do not see numbers but rather “hear numbers” e.g. in my mind I would hear “1 + 1 = 2.” insted of see “1 + 1 = 2.” Recently I learned that mathmatics is a very visually oriented science; consequently I had trouble learning it in high school. Today I am starting to see numbers more clearly mentally and have isolated what is giving me trouble learning algebra.

I do better with words again I “hear” them in my mind which eventually translates into “feelings” which then translates into pictures I can see; consequently I have been told that I an “articulate” in my writing and speech. I tend to smile when people argue with me that I must have a college degree; truthfully I am working on that now never went beyond senior high.

K

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

I see the number or letter like it is a big white thing on a black background. I hate math but I love money so when I get a mathematical question I start to visualize it like it is money and I have learned to add it so I see the equation in my head.

REPORT ABUSE

dspicelady

This is called “synethesia”. It’s amazingly cool, and very common for people with brains like ours. It explains quite a bit just how we see the world differently.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I only recently realized that most people don’t “see” words as I do. For me, each word conjures up a picture and/or a mood. “Bed” is an easy one, because it looks like a bed (low in the middle & high at each end like a four-poster). “Happy” looks & feels happy to me. “Angry” looks & feels angry to me. “Lady” looks & feels refined & feminine. “Woman” looks & feels tough and assertive.

Another thing: When I read a script, I can see & hear exactly how it should be when performed. Plus, I find I get so much more out of TV & radio comedies when I can read the script. It’s as if the script is the material in its purest form, just as the writers wrote it, open to all possibilities of interpretation. And it reinforces my appreciation for the material as performed. Because of this, I love the fact that, in the UK, comedy shows will sometimes have their scripts published in book form. It’s fascinating to read the actual scripts for “Blackadder”, “Steptoe & Son” (the original inspiration for “Sanford & Son”), “Little Britain”, etc.

I’ve heard that many chefs (and even my mother, who burns most of what she cooks) can read a recipe and know exactly how it will taste before they even make it, and that professional musicians can read a music score and hear it in their heads. I guess I’m the same way, but with scripts. And, just like those chefs & musicians, I can just look at that written material once, and get it nearly perfect the very first time I read/perform it aloud—a very useful skill when doing cold-reads at auditions. (Unfortunately, memorizing lines is not so easy, but it’s much easier if I can listen to a recording of it, as well as looking at the script.)

I once voiced the femme fatale in a radio drama, and, at the recording session, the producer-director recorded our initial read-through, in case we came up with something good. I was in the heaviest scene, and, at the end of the read-through, the p-d, amazed, said, “We don’t have to do another take. That was perfect.” Apparently, such a thing had never happened before, and he’d been doing these radio dramas for several years!

Anybody out there need a voice actress, who’s really quick on the uptake?

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Wow I’m amazed at all of your responses! This is such an interesting subject. Kazuo and Curlymoe thanks for sharing your perceptions, interesting to know how others perceive the same symbols.

Dspicelady, I googled synethesia and was reading a bit on wikipedia.Who knew?:-)

Thanks so much for all of your insights.

Larynxa, it’s funny what you say about scripts. Although I don’t read scripts much in general, on occasion I have for one reason or another and I can so relate to what you are saying. The thing that seems funny to me reading this now is that at the time I couldn’t understand why it was so much more clear visually to me than I had expected it to be! I expected it to be boring or strenuous to read for some reason or another. I never gave it much thought before so will have to read one again soon to see how it comes across. But sorry can’t help with the voice actress part :-)

Anyway have to go back to goolging to find out more about synthesia. I already got side-tracked earlier following the links !

Btw Curlymoe I don’t like math much either! I’ve often wondered if my visualization of numbers wasn’t cumbersome and the reason for my difficulty with anything math related.

I’m really curious now as to how all of that fits together. Part of the wilipedia article about synthesia says:

“As early as 1980, Richard Cytowic first noted mild difficulties in left-right confusion, arithmetic, and sense of direction”. Although the reference acknowledges that this is very anecdotal, I would say I would agree with this from experience. Following the link to “arithmetic” leads discusses discalcula, which I would say I have quite a few symptoms of as well.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Definitely synaesthesia, and nothing to do with ADHD. Still cool, though :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow this is really cool stuff!

It just dawned on me Nellie I could envision your concept of numbers. I am slowly starting to like math. In a sense it is like falling in love with someone you hated in high school when you meet up in college. (I know that sounds weird but that is the best way I can communicate the experience.)

I feel that I have a “love affair” with the written and spoken word now it seems it is happening with numbers; I love it, isn’t it great to be alive!!!!

K

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Kazuo,

I can relate to liking a subject now more than when I was in elementary or high school. I think as one matures one becomes a better student.

I absolutely hated school as a kid and did only what I had to in order to get through. When I went to university in my twenties I ended up floundering and never finishing. Now I recognize that I let a lot of my ADD traits lead me down the path I chose. Literally on a whim ( how ADD is that :-)?) I went back to University in my thirties after having kids and actually finished my degree. I switched majors into something I was fascinated with so my marks reflected this. My attitude to school changed once I had kids in school with great teachers, unlike what I had. I had fun volunteering in the classes and I think I enjoyed Kindergarten more than my kids did actually! Funny how I was able to face my demons and re-brand the experience in my mind.

In terms of the Synthesia thing,

I am wondering now that I know that how I perceive numbers is a visual thing -, I can somehow use it as a tool creatively to more “comfortably” maneuver through stuff that has to do with arithmetic or any kind of number manipulation. It just seems that learning math was a chore and perhaps the skills they teach in school are better suited to another style of thinking.

But on the other hand, neither of my kids think of numbers in this way and suck at math too, so maybe it has nothing to do with it.

Any of you teachers out there have any thoughts on this?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nelli, I laughed out loud when you said your numbers turned at a 90 degree angle… YES!! My numbers, especially from 0-9 are coloured as well… 5 is light blue, 4 green, 8 brown, 2 and 7 are yellow. I always thought this was something I picked up from those number blocks we had as babies. But since have heard of synethesia. Also, I ‘see’ the calendar year as a large horizontal oval in space… December just past being in the top right, spring starting in the top left, etc. Weeks are a long line with weight added to Sat and Sun on either end. I disagree that it has nothing to do with ADD. We have such an awesome ability to visualize things.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@nellie,

Left-right confusion…

When I was little, I always got D’s and E’s in Handwriting and high marks in everything else. My mom took me for some tests, and one of the things they determined was that I have some left-right confusion. This may be partly due to the fact that my dad is right-handed, but is left-handed when playing hockey or paddling a canoe. It may also be partly due to the fact that, when I was a baby, I’d always reach with my left hand, and Mom would gently correct me into using my right hand—because she’d read that left-handers live shorter lives and have more accidents.

The strange thing is, when I’m doing improv, I’ll become left-handed, without realizing it. I can also write fairly legibly (albeit very slowly) with my left hand. And, ever since I was 2, I could easily read words that are upside-down or even backwards.

But I think, the main reason for my illegible scrawl is that my brain works way faster than I can write!

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Larynxa,

I thought left-right confusion meant you mix it up – say like turning right instead of left or not knowing which hand is right or left. I often have to really think which side is right or left. I f I have to give directions I often panic that I told them the wrong way to turn.

It sounds more like you are left-handed and were sort of forced into becoming a rightee. My Dad was like that, back in his day they would hit him on the hand when he wrote with the “wrong” one. He can actually right with both hands equally well as well as mirror image with both hands together. He also experiences synthesia ( just found that out tonight actually!) My mom says we’re both nuts :-)

And Haggis.

The calender thing: ME TOO!!! But mine is a horizontal line sort of like on a Monopoly board. January to March are darker and small squares mark holidays within so that I can guage how far away time is. May is lighter and segmented in two because of the school year ending Then June, July and August are brightest and grouped together but yet each somehow decorated if you will with important dates ( birthdays etc. ) Then the rest of the year is sort of grouped but each has its own coloring and representational increments.

As for the days of the week, sounds sort of like yours – a wide line with the week-ends more weighty than the others. Each day is shaded. I don’t have distinct colors – more shades of gray.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nellie,

Haha… That’s a riot! I can see yours as you describe it with certain holidays and birthdays, yes, yes. Very funny. Maybe later I’ll describe the voices … like I watched a David Niven movie the other day, and now I have his accent/voice in my head for certain things. He’s not telling me to kill anyone though, not yet! Maybe I need to join another form as well!? LOL

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

David wanted me to add that I hear/use the accent/voice when reading, perhaps like the script readers. (Sooooo Kidding re: David wanted)

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Haggis,

That’s funny but no voices for me :-)

BTW re your oval calendar cloud, when I googled Synthesia the results for images had a similar diagram as to what you describe

Say hi to David….

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)