Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

how do you tell a 9 year old ritalin will help not kill him

how do you tell a 9 year old ritalin will help not kill him2011-03-07T14:55:40+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community how do you tell a 9 year old ritalin will help not kill him

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

i have a 9 year old that has both add and Adah. My ex husband thinks i am killing the 9 year old because i have him on median for add. i had him on Ritalin, his dad was saying that it was killing him. how do you tell a 9 year old that it will help him rather than kill him?

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Are you talking about the husband or the son? :P ( Just me being snarky)

When my wife and I decide on a course of action with our son, who by the way is an absolute, heaven sent, angel, we talk over what we are going to do and reach and agreement. All this is before our son hears word one from us on the subject. This way he can’t play one of us off on the other, look for support from the other and so forth.

Hope this helps

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Yes it sounds more as if the issue is between you and your ex for starters. Perhaps your doctor can help you with the medical facts – explaining to both of you together and answering questions before talking to your son. Shutterbug55 is right on the mark about both parents having to work together for the sake of the child. If there is too much confrontation between you and your ex though to approach it this way in a reasonable manner, then you need to advocate for the sake of your son through legal channels if that’s what it takes. I can’t imagine this is an easy road to take either way so good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

the son was on Ritalin. it is kinda hard to talk to the ex husband because he don’t like me and thinks i am the worse mother there is

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You should get the Dad in to meet with you and the doctor, if he won’t listen to you.

REPORT ABUSE

AMANDA1979

:I TOLALLY AGREE WITH BRENT BRING HIM INTO YOUR DOCOTR AND GET HIM TO EXPLAIN EVERY THING TO HIM ABOUT YOUR SON HAVEING ADD AND ADHD AND MEDCATION . PLUS ONE THING PARENTS GOT TO UNDERSTAND IS MEDCATION IS TOOL TO HELP CHILDREN WITH TREATMENT IWTH THEIR ADD OR ADHD PLUS THEIR IS A COST WITH OUT HAVEING TREATMENT OF ADHD OR ADD LIKE TROUBLE IN SCHOOL TROUBLE WITH THE LAW AND OTHER THING IT’S ON ONE OF THE VIDEO THAT DR JAIN HAS ON THE WEBSITE . ALSO YOU MAY WANT TO ASK DR JAIN FOR INFORMATION TO. I HAVE LIVED WITH ADHD ALL MY LIFE AND I HAVE REALIZED THAT MEDCATION IS TOOL TO OTHER THINGS LIKE I DO FOR MY ADHD WHICH HELPS. BOTH PARENTS HAVE TO WORK TO GETHER TO HELP YOUR CHILD . GOOD LUCK

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i have had the dad in with me to talk to the doc and the dad will not listen.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

in driven to distraction and delivered from distraction (2 pretty good books about ADHD) the doctor says he introduces ADHD to kids as being like having a ‘race car brain’. the brain of someone with ADHD goes really really fast, which is pretty cool and awesome- you have lots of great ideas and enthusiasm and energy and creativity and humour and all that stuff.

but even racecars need to be able to put on the brakes a bit sometimes, otherwise they can’t stop at a pitstop and refuel, or do maintenance diagnostics in the garage (get to sleep at night, sit still and eat breakfast, sit through an exam in class, etc), and they’re hard to drive (they’ll careen all over the place and crash into something sooner or later- just like we will if we can’t pay proper attention, be calm enough and be able to take the time to make good choices, and manage to finish things as well as starting them).

ADHD medication *lets* your brain put on the brakes a little bit easier- it’s like adding a top of the line braking system where there weren’t any brakes before, so the car can run properly. it doesn’t stomp your foot on the brake pedal or turn off the ignition or anything silly like that, it just gives you- the racecar driver – a really important ability- to slow the car down a bit when you need to. it gives you a bit more control, so you can brake a little to steer around corners and obstacles better without wiping out, it lets lets you drive more effectively and efficiently (no burning silly amounts of fuel rushing at super speed when you’re not trying to get anywhere in a hurry, or going around the block turning right over and over and getting nowhere cos you can’t stop at the red light on a junction), it helps you to stop long enough to let your engine cool down instead of overheating (rest and relax a bit between adventures, sit still and listen when your teacher is talking)- it gives you enough focus and concentration that you can win the race when you’re *in* a race, but also adds the handling and makes you road-worthy, so you can go for a nice relaxed afternoon cruise on the highway if you feel like it instead of being stuck doing circles on the racetrack all day, etc (helps you to think and behave in the best way for lots of different circumstances- gives you options and choices).

ADHD medication makes your brain work even better than it did before. it doesn’t wreck it- it turns it into a high spec custom model. :P

he might sort of get his head around that one. i know i can. :D

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)