Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

How to stop the sensory assault?

How to stop the sensory assault?2011-06-21T12:35:44+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Other How to stop the sensory assault?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

laddybug3

My sensory problems are clothing and night. I am a morning person that said. When my friends and roomates at school wanted to clubing at like 11; I could not stand it. I would dance a little bit, but then the music suddenly got too loud or there was too many people. I would watch my friends dancing and having a fun time. When all I wanted to do was to go to bed and sleep. One person realized that I could not stay at the club past midnight. They took turns taking me home.

One club they had a strob light and I got a headach. I was so upset and refused to let that strob light, which gave me an headach. The music was perfict because of the strob light, or that is what I thought. My friends realized something was wrong and took me out of there.

They were cool and we had pre and post club parties for me in the townhouse the college gave to the upper class. It was perfect, because when I had a problem I just want to my room. I did not tell them until later about my ADD, but most of them figured it out. It was a shocker to find out one person had autism and another had another disoader, but I forgot what it was. I don’t see them enough and they have no idea how much they helped me with my sensory issuses.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Someone please save me from this daily hell known as morning. Woke up this morning to throbbing ears because my earplugs were shoved in too deep. Took them out and was attacked by the noise of construction from my upstairs neighbor who is remodeling their kitchen. Our building has construction hours for contractors but they’re doing some of the work themselves so power saws and hammering at 7am aren’t against the rules. Though extremely rude!

To top off my morning I realized that my phone, internet & cable are shut off. Guess why? Yep…I didn’t pay the bill. Typing this post from my smartphone so please excuse typos. The medication voucher program thru the hospital just ended so I’m robbing Peter to pay Paul to come up with the nearly $200 for my Adderall XR. Didn’t think the company would disconnect my service for another 30 days. It’s the slow season for my small business so money is tight right now. Just started a part time sales job but won’t get paid for another week. To put the nail in the coffin it’s a work from home position so now I’ll have to make calls on my cell phone which will result in a higher than normal bill next month.

Finally, today would be my beloved grandma’s birthday had she not died and left me at the end of last year.

Can I please catch a freaking break here?!?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have you ever heard of hypersensitivity in people with ADD? I find it difficult to tolerate loud noises (traffic), smells (strong smells make me throw up) and large crowds or festivals are just too much for me to take in. I take Concerta which helps in some areas but seems to increase the hypersensitivity in me. Looking for some tips on how to handle these distressing symptoms (I live in a large city). Thank you

REPORT ABUSE

billd

>>and large crowds or festivals are just too much for me to take in.<<

Amen to that……….. I hate large gatherings, unless I can be a sub-set more one-on-one with a smaller group within. I hate large stores, crowds, avoid Christmas shopping anywhere near the holidays, and don’t like large noisy family get-togethers.

(a problem for my wife and her large family, great for my very small family with no aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.)

Don’t take me to a noisy bar or restaurant as I won’t hear you even if you sit right across from me. The sounds 20 feet away will block your voice.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@jegoyer – today I went in for psychological testing because my extreme hypersensitivity to external stimuli has my doctor thinking that I may also have something like Sensory Processing Disorder. I’ll let you know the results and the treatment my doctor suggests.

@billd – amen to everything you said!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is amazing, for many years i have been bothered to the point of madness by noises, other people’s sterios, dogs, cars, the hundred little noises that come with living in a city. Not sure if it is noise issue or part of my Anxiety issues .. massive anxiety, some days it consumes me… and then there is the ADHD that I was recently diagnosed with .. not sure what fits where.

Meditation and yoga sound promising… straterra and wellbutrin seem to help a little … any one else with anxiety ?

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

For me, I didn’t have too much trouble until I started taking adderal. Whenever it starts kicking in or wearing off, I get really sensitive to sound. I also get extremely bear like grumpy. If I nap, it helps, but then the nap interferes with my night-time sleep patterns.

I do have non-ADHD extra sensitivity to smell and taste, and that is easily attributed to having children. Pregnancy hormones tend to heighten taste and smell senses. I never lost these heightened senses after having the kids. Plus, women generally smell better than men…in more ways than one.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)