Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Howie Mandel on ADHD

Howie Mandel on ADHD2012-04-16T18:04:00+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Howie Mandel on ADHD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Bill

Gotta love it. This article is soooooooooooo Howie Mandel: http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/8615.html

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Don’t know the guy but his article caused my Blackberry to crash and it took ages to work out how to fix it! It took ages to work out that I needed to take out the battery to reboot it. Sometimes I think my dogs have more common sense than me! I’ll read it on my computer tomorrow – bed time in the UK. He looks a bit of a self publicist but will reserve opinion til I read it all. Goodnight y’all !

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Cool! great stuff ta read, thanks

REPORT ABUSE

Bibliophile

I was pleasantly surprised with the article. It was much more honest than a lot of the spin I see on ADHD tauting it as a gift. The fact that Howie said the following brings to light how many of us feel:

My wife and children have been through therapy because of the problems my disorders have caused.

When our children were young, it was hard for them to corner me and to share their day. One of the great pleasures of having children is spending one-on-one time with them. Sadly, I could do that for only a few minutes at a time.

I’d never say that ADD/ADHD is a gift or a blessing. And if someone says it is a gift, I’d love to return it.

His comments on adaptation through job selection and the lack of impulse control also resonate.

Thanks for sharing, Bill.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Hey Scattybird, sorry about the hardware malfunction! Howie has been known to raise sparks, but this is the first time I’ve seen him take out a Blackberry. He’s an actor / writer / comedian.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Blbliophile – you’re right. ADHD is not the gift. You are. I appreciate your critical analysis and point of view.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

“ADHD is not the gift. You are.” Ooooooooo – YEAH! Excellent!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I finally managed to read it! Thanks for posting it.

It is a nice honest read.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Scattybird – you’re welcome! It shows that you don’t have to be ADHD to be a comedian (but it helps!)

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Rats!, I wrote a reply to this and must have forgotten to post it!, hopefully I can find it on my cluttered computer desktop. I tend to save everything there first so I can find it! lol.

I have almost a dozen ADD folders with posts, and copy n pasted threads I’ve saved to study, all over my desktop. Folders in folders, first draft folders with “done” folder’s in them… A “best of”… yada yada, on and on…. can’t find it tonight. I’ve learned to give up sooner when I can’t find stuff. If I really need it, or it’s important. I’ll find it later.

I put some time into this one… hmmm. I quoted Howie on the “if it’s a gift I’d like to give it back” part too. My family relationships look halfway decent on facebook. But the truth is I’ve been “thrown out” of ALL the relationships I’ve ever had. I wanted to say “Lots” but on a few, some have taken me back in. None even know much at all about my ADHD diagnosis and treatment. Some just think I’m on another “kick” “the latest new age self help fad”. Crap!, I just imagined posting the thing I wrote for this thread on facebook! AAACK! I’m afraid to look in my facebook folder, it might be in one of the folders in that one… lol.

My doctor just shakes his head in wonder and amazement, I think I have seen him fighting back the tears of joy as he watches Robert become Robert. He knows about how passionate ADHDers can become about living life to the fullest. I told him about this site. If he reads this I’ll be glad, I doubt he can find it!. He’s the hardest working doctor I know of. I’ve know way too many doctors in my lifetime. Nurses are the backbone of our healthcare system. Nurse practitioners and PA’s run a close second. I just couldn’t sleep at all last night. So I just stayed in bed today. Tomorrows another day to try to get my days n nights un-mixed up.

We are miracles. I’ll probably find my post for this thread by accident, come back n post it later if I’m not running late that day… I’m afraid to check my facebook place now… hmm. what if I posted it on my facebook page? that’s an actual web site like page we can make attached to our facebook page. I do tons of writing there. Ugh…

Maybe some camomile tea with green tea in it, n some milk. Warm milk has never mellowed me out, but with a little bit of ritalin maybe…

Peace, n much love to ya gang.

C’-ya’ll latu’z aligaytu’z.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

AWESOME, Robbo!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)