Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Hyperfocus

Hyperfocus2012-02-02T22:41:58+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anyone else have the ability to hyperfocus? I know it it sort of a polar opposite for those with AD/HD, but I have the ability to hyperfocus when things are down to the wire. I can get more work done and remember more work in that time than normal people can, and it stuns my friends when I say that i got a months worth of work done in 3 hours, and still pulled out an A. while they did it on time and got a C. Is it just me? Or can others hyperfocus like that? And if so could you tell me how to tap into that more often? Because it would make the rest of senior year and my college life alot easier.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Actually hyperfocus is an ADD trait. While I agree that it can be useful at times – your description of how you get your school work done sounds EXACTLY like how I tried to get through school – it also leads you to crash and burn. And I can’t stress enough as to how detrimental it can be.

By my 2nd year at university it was not enough. There was way too much work and I ended up failing courses because I didn’t have proper study skills and trying to catch up at the last minute.During the times when I might have pulled off a last minute paper then stress often got to me so I bailed by dropping out of the course or just not writing an exam because I figured I was going to fail anyway.

I did end up going back many many years later and finishing up with high marks but it was well before I knew I had ADD.

WHile I didn’t pull the last minute 36 hour study stints then because I had realized that doesn’t work, I still had to hyperfocus in a sense by cutting my life down to the bare essentials – my focus was either school work or kids. Socializing, outside activities etc went out the window.

But what really made a difference, well not just a difference but changed my life in terms of school success, was the skills outlined in a book called The Master Student. Expensive but worth every single penny. i wish I had been able to read it when I was first in school, I think it would have made my life much easier. For that matter I wish I had known I had ADD when I was first in school!

Hers; a link for the book: http://college.cengage.com/collegesurvival/ellis/master_student/10e/students/index.html

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you. Ya i know the feeling about last minute, it’s like “oh I have tomorrow, I have tomorrow.” Soon tomorrow becomes the due date.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)