Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I am new here, sort of just found out

I am new here, sort of just found out2011-01-19T09:32:14+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! Finding Help I am new here, sort of just found out

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

rebekkajm

Hello!

I’m from Iceland so sorry about the english!

I am finding it very hard to read these forums, looking for answers I need so I will post this here.

I have recently found out that I have ADHD, I haven’t been diagnosed by a doctor yet, but I am thinking about it.

90% of what I have read here fits me, the symptoms that is.

So my question is: Why would I pay alot of money for getting the diagnosis if I am not going to take medication (I dont want to) ?

thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

turbo

Getting a formal diagnosis can help put a name to a condition. It will allow you to learn about the condition and understand it’s implications for you – both short term and long term. Self-diagnosis is dangerous, especially with a condition like this that has some characteristics that are common to other disorders.

For instance, did you know that if you take a person and chronically deprive them of sleep they will begin to function in a way that clinically looks like they have ADD?

The doctor who helped put together this WEBsite wants paitents that are comfortable with the medications using them to facilitate changes to their lives. Once we develop better routines and habits, you can try life off of medications and see if things are improved to the point you can live without meds.

I feel that ruling out medication before even looking at the potential benefits is ignorant. It has changed many people’s lives.

REPORT ABUSE

rebekkajm

Ok thanks for the input, Im no longer ignorant, I just came from a pshycologist and she thought a lot indicate I have ADD so we booked a diagnostic session in march.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Rebekkajm,

Your English is better than mine! and it’s my native language. I am new to this whole thing as well. I am being evaluated for ADHD so far I am passing with flying colors. On one hand, these are the tests I *WANT* to fail. On the other I want to know why I am the way I am. Does that make sense? What I have been reading from all the great people on this site, is knowledge is power. Knowing about ADHD and how it affects you, will give you tools to live with it. Eventually use it. If it means drugs, therapy, or what ever… go for it and get on with your life.

I am not to the point where I am working with this condition. I’m working on that. I still think I have a defective brain. in fact if my brain were a car, it would either be scrapped as a lemon or recalled by the manufacturer.

REPORT ABUSE

rebekkajm

Lol thank you for the reply :)

It makes a lot of sense to me that you would like to know why you are the way you are :)

I am hoping for an positive answer :( then everything will make sense to me, it already does after reading this forum and other info about ADD peeps!

If I get positive answers… I want to try drugs, just to see how I am after. When I was diagnosed with light depression 6 years ago I only just saw how I really felt, after taking drugs…. when looking back

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)