Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I am perplexed.

I am perplexed.2014-08-13T21:09:48+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Vyvanse I am perplexed.

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

cbirgel

I recently read an article that changed my mind on continuing my medication, I am hoping for some outside thought. I reminisce the days staring out the window dreaming about owning Ferrari’s and Lamborghini’s once I started my successful business.  I remember creating websites in kindergarden and showing them to my friends,  they were silly ideas but I enjoyed it and pushed myself to learn how to create better ones.  Those days have passes.  My grades since then have improved drastically and school is a easy farce, but I miss the color my life had when I was not on meds.  What if I am missing out?  What if I could accomplish more without medication? After all, Albert Einstein didn’t take it and look what he became; the most famous scientist ever to live.  Perplexed I am.

The article that that led me to writing this :  http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB110738397416844127

Someone please provide some experienced insight on this.  Thank you.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Cbirgel, please be very careful about basing any decisions about medication, on a mass-media article that’s (once again) trying to sell papers by promoting the idea that “meds are evil and turn people into zombies”.

It seems to me that what the article is really saying is, “We need to do more to nurture creativity and independent thinking.” The “ADHD meds” angle seems like click-bait, and the purpose of that article is solely to sell papers and get online “clicks”. It has nothing to do with actually helping people.

Remember, each person’s experience is different.

Einstein was a very high-functioning person, so he didn’t need meds. I’m high-functioning too, but I get a lot less done if I don’t take my meds to help keep me on-track. And Rick Green has often said that he’d been worried that meds would take away his creativity, but discovered that they actually enhanced it, because now he’s able to actually use more of his ideas…and ideas are useless if you can’t turn them into something.

What’s your experience been like? What was your life like without the medication? Don’t just rely on your own memory. Ask your friends and family, and see what they say. And if they do say that you’ve become zombie-like, or lost your creativity, then perhaps it just means that your current medication isn’t right for you, and you & your doctor need to try something else.

One more thing: Considering the events of the past week, the last sentence of the WSJ article takes on a rather chilling new meaning:

But she believes a child on Ritalin is less likely to be the next great dot-com pioneer or even a Robin Williams-like comic.

REPORT ABUSE

BabafredDenandenanda

If Einstein had been diagnosed and medicated, he would have probably developed the theory of relativity a lot sooner. If Edison had been diagnosed and medicated, he’d have probably invented the lightbulb a lot sooner. Churchill? We’d have won the war in 1942.

Okay, I’m exaggerating on Churchill. 1943.

I’m on meds. My creativity hadn’t changed, in fact, it’s improved – the ideas are still coming fast and furious, and I’m now able to get them accomplished.

The meds saved my marriage, saved my finances, and, to be blunt, saved my life.

Do what works, not what others tell you to do.

REPORT ABUSE

seabassd

@BabafredDenandenanda

I love your statement…”Do what works, not what others tell you to do.”

I needed that.

Thanks

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)