Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I feel lost and frustrated, not able to manage and control my life

I feel lost and frustrated, not able to manage and control my life2010-12-09T20:56:13+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Cranky/Arguing/Frustrated I feel lost and frustrated, not able to manage and control my life

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am 39 years old and I was diagnosed just 9 month ago, I started taking the medication, and I feel some changes, also now be conscience of what do I have make me look for different options that can be compensatory strategies for all the mess that I used to have. I am currently going to graduate school and under a lot of pressure. I did not want to disclosure my condition because I feelt embarace, it has being hard for me to accept my diagnosis. Now they finally know in my program what is my diagnosis Even thought it explain so many difficulties and hard time I had in the pass everything was so hard for me, and I always feel the lazy and stupid one. The ansiety is not letting me sleep for more than a month in regular schedule and now I am having panic attacks. All toguether make me absolutly non functional at all and I am risking my graduate school. I feel that I just do not have more control, frustration, anger and depresion is all what I am feeling. Do anyone has gone for this process before and is willing to give me some hope. I just feel that I will never be able to have the control of my life and be able to funcion in society, keep a job, have a partner, etc, etc. I am so lost, frustrated and depress.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

why should you feel embarrassed? Show me a perfect human being – in either appearance or mind?

It would seem from the numbers I see around here that you are probably not alone, even in your school or work………….

You for sure are not alone here!

I think we are all brothers and sisters – we’ve simply not met yet.

(I wonder what a gathering of the forum members would be like – all together in one place…..)

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

hi don’t lose heart . all the things that are overwellming know are controlable.the bigest thing is to do one thing at a time. you are lucky you are very smart so take alittle time to read some of the other posts . wellcome to aplace with alot of caring people. hope it helps that you have found alot of people just like you don’t lose heart. and again welcone.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I understand how you feel. I am an academic advisor at a college and now all of my coworkers and my supervisor, the Dean know about my ADD. It wasn’t like they couldn’t tell when I was all over the place. I have made mistakes, put my foot in my mouth, and done things that at times were disruptive. But… those folks know me and are supportive of me. They’ve encouraged me to ge help and I am now medicated and am workng on making changes. Things are getting better. There are still problems because I wll always have ADD, but I’m woking at it and putting one foot in front of the other. I’m also in recovery, so I have had to work on me before. This is just a different side to my journey. It’s “progress, not perfection.”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was diagnosed at a very young age. was on medication from 3 years old through 23 years old. i was greatful for the medication and the discipline that gave me guidance through my academic years but i kept developing immunity to the meds after awhile and so i eventually had to learn to survive without them. it’s been mixed results. job wise things aren’t going well. i try to tell myself it’s not all my fault that the recession is palying a role in this but i see all my friends leaving this shit hole and i’m still stuck here in my 30s. hate it!!! I am currently working on my writing in the hope of earning a living that way. here’s hoping

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@MIguel – I just posted on the meds forum about the immunity thing. I don’t want to hijack this post, but just wanted to tell you I’m very interested that someone else has noticed this. For what it’s worth, I don’t think I become forever immune to the meds – I just need several month off them, like 6-12. I wonder if we rotated meds we could always have one that worked?

If you’ve been off meds for 7 years it totally might be worth trying again.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@lapotra – do not despair. if you are at a university you should be able to find someone in counseling services on campus to talk to, and try to get some of this stuff sorted out. also talk again to the doctor who diagnosed you with ADD. see if he or she can get you some life-coaching to go along with the medicine and make sure they have you on the right dose for you.

if you had a physical disease and could not finish your graduate assignments, they would have to give you extra time and allow you to take incompletes and finish them later. talk to someone, and if they are not supportive, talk to someone else. do NOT let the professors make you feel worse.

there is no reason to be ashamed of not being perfect. everybody has something ‘wrong’ with them, and there is no shame in being different in some way – thank heavens we are NOT all the same. what is perfect anyways?? i’m sure i don’t know!

it takes time for people with ADD to do all those so-called normal things because they don’t come easy for us, we have to go about it differently, and try harder, but maybe it makes it more worthwhile. there are some days when i wish i was “normal” too but then i think about how boring that kind of life must be, and i really can’t see myself there. don’t judge yourself by not being able to be that so-called “normal.”

you can do this. find someone to talk to on campus. or off campus. then take small steps to get back on track. don’t let anyone deter you. i just finished my masters degree after about 20 years of trying…i switched to a different university and it made all the difference. i surrounded myself with good people. find yourself some good people. start with student health services if you have to, but find someone to talk to. you can do it, don’t despair. please.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t know if i want to try them again kim. i have anxiety because of them. i’ve had panic attacks that wouldn’t go away until i started taking anxiety medication. its not an option for me anymore. i can’t go back. not sure i want to either. i also take meds for high blood pressure that was also a side effect of the meds for adhd. also take prilosec for stomach probelms and a whole bunch of others.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)