Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I have Advanced Musically

I have Advanced Musically2011-10-09T02:37:20+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Excited/Relieved I have Advanced Musically

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

laddybug3

Something wonderful has happened and I am not sure how. Okay. I have been playing the clarinet since I was nine and now I can play advanced music. This is a shock to me. Now I can play all the notes–no more of your pitch is good, so why can’t you play these notes, or timing is off. Maybe the timing will be off still, but hey! I am advanced clarinetist.

My first advanced piece is called “mediation from Thais” artist Massenet, Jules

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you believe in magic, come along with me. We’ll dance until morning ’til there’s just you and me,

and maybe, if the music is right I’ll meet you tomorrow, sort of late at night,

and we’ll go dancing, baby, then you’ll see how the magic’s in the music and the music’s in me.

– John Sebastian (The Lovin’ Spoonful)…….said it all.

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wonderful news, laddybug3!

I can’t play a single note but I sure do appreciate those of you who can!

I have absolutely no musical talent. If you are old enough some of you out there may remember the movie with Steve Martin called ‘The Jerk’. The movie opens with a group of black Americans singing and clapping and having a great time together on the front porch of a home down in the south of the US. Steve is trying to sing and clap along with the rest of them (his mom, dad, etc) but is totally ‘off beat’ with the rest of his family. Totally out of sync with the singing and clapping. It’s at that moment that he suddenly realizes that he must have been adopted….

I laughed at this portion of the movie (the rest is totally forgetable) because Steve was just like me in some of my classes when I was at university The prof actually yelled at me one day in class because he said I was intentionally trying to be ‘off the beat’ while he was trying to teach us choral conducting! In fact, I was trying to disrupt the class, wasn’t I?

I was so humiliated at the time. I was quite aware that I was totally out of sync with him and the rest of the class and everything I tried to get me ‘in sync’ was just not working. If you want to see something really scary, I show you how I dance.

I’m thrilled to hear of your successes in clarinet. I know for a fact that musical accomplishments don’t come without a lot of hard work. Your hard work in the past is now paying you big dividends, with interest!!

The neat thing is, a musician feels rewarded by his or her musical success but everyone else is rewarded by it too. We get to listen and enjoy!

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

I am soooo excited about what treating my adhd will do for my music!! I am thrilled to hear about this Laddybug!!! Music is the salve for my soul, and something I have sacrificed due to guilt that – if I wasn’t being a good wife, daughter, employee, etc. – how could I justify spending time on “selfish” pursuits… Of course this was pretty unfair to me because – music or not – I wasn’t going to be able to make everybody happy. I have the idea in the back of my mind that music actually heals in some way. I also heard somewhere that music came before language in humans… I like the thought of that… :mrgreen:

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Munch…..what. or where would we, or anybody be without music???? I don’t seeing playing an instrument as selfish……spiritual growth makes me a better me, and I owe it to me, and to the others in my life to be the best possible me I can be.

I too believe music heals…….it is a large part of medicine in many many cultures, and has been forever. In recent times it was music that brought the Africans through the oppression of slavery, which evolved into the wonderful genres of Jazz and Blues. Elle Fitzgerald, Sam Cooke, Duke Ellington, BB King, Beyonce………it is a living breathing source of “feel good”!!! Medicine will tell you over and over how music heals from the inside.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

While I was a departmental manager at On With Life (a head injury rehab center) one of the disciplines was music therapy.

It uses different parts of the brain than normal sounds or spoken words.

It was often helpful to go through that therapy prior to some of the others.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

I logged back on just to reply to this thread, can’t sleep again. I jammed a little along with the TV n then just got in bed to read tons of posts here, I got lucky and a bunch of great music was on Austin City Limits late last night. I couldn’t possibly agree with you more toofat about the music. I’d give up any other two senses to keep my hearing, and I truly love photography. And sunsrises/sunsets. A sunrise from Carmel, the only place on the west coast to see a sunrise over the water, made me bawl like a baby it was so dang beautiful. Yet music moves and heals me more. At age 42 I finally found out a mid life crisis wasn’t some kind of joke, went out an purchased a bunch of used and new guitars, amps, etc. The only thing I held on to from my past was a Rat, distortion box, old school. possibly older than me. I got a new Amp about 6 or 8 months ago small enough to keep in bed with me as I was recovering from surgeries. I had to be able to play my guitar, on my back, in bed. I’m not even that good. But lately somehow I’ve been able to jam along with so much more of the music as it’s playing. It’s heaven. I just grew my fingernails back because I always drop picks and some days I just can’t find one soon enough. I found a bunch of new sounds to make with my fingers and the different characteristics of my fingernails, or groups of fingernails. My last girlfriend has a masters degree in music, lot’s of CD’s her dad recorded and burned for her, on piano. Talent, and she’s a dang genius. Too bad she had no patience for my adhd symptoms. She had her issues too. In college at 16 and her IQ was so high I think it may have made her nuts. Who am I to judge her anyway. She’s another person now. I need to stop calling her my “last” girlfriend. I haven’t given up on romance. Just on a long vacation, sortof. I’m always meeting women I get very interested in very quickly, but just don’t follow through, or give up too easy. If they play hard to get, I go fish somewhere else! and just say “I’m goin back to my music now. The strings have always been my first love. If I ever decide not to get cremated, I’ll be buried with a giant whad of all the used strings I’ve saved from guitars I’ve played. Nothing sounds as awesome as brand new perfectly tuned strings, huh?

I’m a heavy metal rocker, but I’ve been on a county n WESTERN kick lately. Willie, Waylon, and the boys. I found an awsome CD of “classic country outlaws” and a willlie nelson and johny cash “storytellers live” treasure too, reminds me of the stuff my folks always played when I was a yungster. My current favorite tune is “Are you Sure Hank Done It This Way”

Music sweet music, I wish I could caress, n kiss kiss, Manic Depression is a full straight in mess… -Hendrix-

Keep playing Ladybug, yer so dang lucky!

Love, peace n music forever-

obert.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Robbo – I’ve weird musical tastes, I guess, but I do sort of get into certain country. A like SOME of Garth’s stuff (Friends in Low Places) and Johnny Cash I think was really good. I guess the good old country outlaws as you call ’em.

Otherwise, it’s a strange list:

Moody Blues,

Klaatu,

Bond,

Queen,

I liked some of Robert Palmer’s stuff – love heavy percussion, don’t like screechy guitars – with a few exceptions.

I need music most of the time – other times, I like quiet.

I respect those who are musically inclined. It’s a real neat gift. I used to be good with drums, and was told over and over I was a natural, but the interest, dedication, and ability to pay attention for 3 minutes sort of stopped that.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Yep Billd, if I could make myself practice more, I’d be on a stage bangen out repeat after repeat. And improvising. I couldn’t handle a musicians life on the road though. I just finished a long post for the “high five” thread but can’t find it.

Heck I’ll just post it here. later I’ll ask the folks who run this taco stand to include what thread and from where in our profile so we can go back to the one we lost. I agree with a post Tofat left a while back about changes to this site. I said change is good. But it’s all grey, ya know. 20,000 people coming to this site! That’s a lot of work. So I’ll just be grateful and post where I can.

Peace.

Here’s my post for the high five thread. It’s just for fun too.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Perplextinuation

New word for ya; It’s the perpetual feeling of being perplexed, continued. It’s a positive thing. Please remember not to eat any sugary sweets or quick carb’s before you read this. I bet this community of 20,000 can be very creative in coming up with more “Sniglets” I’ve searched for them in the past but they haven’t been found by me since 1997. I think I first saw them on Saturday Night Live. This is a new one. How can the English language evolve without minds like ours coming up with the new words our dictionaries need? We have too many multi purpose words like were. LOL I wonder what I mean/said that time.

It’s fun to be ADHDc (the little c is for character, being a character, having character, whatever) a lot of the time. Other times not so much.

I’m finding out it can be love-able. Me, that’s a little more difficult. I’m listening to a new play list of old school metal, new stuff, Rap, and some awesome classical. Also watching Nature on PBS, and writing all at the same time. And I’m fairly sure it’s not manic depression. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. I once had a girlfriend who was a bully. Hmm actually most of em turned into bullies after being with me for a while. I used to always think I had a problem picking angry men haters. The fact is, I created them! What a crappy thing to find out. Nothing is completely black or white. But mostly, I wasn’t trying to re-live my relationship with my mother and get her to love me as I am. I fell in love with a manic depressive lady once. She didn’t like to take her meds. That sucked. In most of my romance relationships, It was me torturing a nice gal with my forgetfulness and squirrelly, moody, and immature behaviors. I’m very grateful to say I was never violent. My eyes were though. So much that I’ve had cops called on me just because I looked! Dangerously angry. I probably was. Usually got away. One time I FORGOT they were on the way. That long story turned out great. Honest. Cool judge. Saw right through me. (he did see my insides, gentle, just frustrated)

Wow, coool, “Tennessee Stud” by Johnny Cash just came on, followed by “Behind Blue Eyes” by The Who. Batting a thousand tonight. High five for not screwing pu today. Hehe. (accept for the dyslexia when I used the atm earlier) I need a single word for a non senior having a senior moment… any ideas?

Got any new words for the dictionary that need to be there?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)