Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I NEED to learn how to FOCUS

I NEED to learn how to FOCUS2011-03-22T08:52:31+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments I NEED to learn how to FOCUS

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

— I was officially diagnosed December 2010 and barely spoke to a doctor about medication last week.

one thing i hate the most is my inability to focus.

i have looked online and seen the read the same advice on how breaking down tasks can help and blah blah blah, but that is NOT enough for me! i need specific, not broad techniques!

– do any of you have specific examples you use for school or work? i NEED to learn to focus because my brain does not like to cooperate with me– dont get me wrong, i am motivated and love doing the thing i need to do, but sometimes (most of the time) i have a hard time getting it DONE!!

any advice?

—- i am beginning to feel sooo hopeless!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is the first step Cheese. Identifying what’s not working and finding a way to make it work is a huge success.

I’ve got the same issues and honestly I go through it everyday. Today I’m on here while at work. I’m looking for motivation and avoiding things that are boring and monotonous. But know what I think that’s okay. I’ll get the work done and learn how to manage me better.

Tips? Specific advice? Nobody can really give you that, imho, because nobody really knows what you want but you. I found this little quote that I printed and keep it stuck to my monitor, it’s by Lou Holtz

“Ability is what you’re capable of doing.

Motivation determines what you can do.

Attitude determines how well you can do it.”

This is also an inspirational bit for me:

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.

It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company … a school … a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past … we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way … we cannot change the inevitable.

The only thing we can do is plan on the one thing we have, and that is our superior attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. A superior attitude will produce superior results!”

“Become skilled at adapting and turning even the most difficult circumstances to your favor:”

Find your motivation, check in on yourself and make sure you have the right attitude, then keep it simple. Small goals, but complete them, reward yourself for doing it and set another right away. Once you get some momentum and turn this to your favor you’ll wonder what took so long.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bravo Crazy , great speech on attitude . i also believe this theory. i have to just keep reminding myself though.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Idoeno – Don’t we all!! :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

God……I feel you. Six years to get through high school and I think they helped me out the door, just because I’d still be there trying to pass algebra and physics. University went very well….more open environment and classes I loved. Sorry, I don’t have any tools. I can just encourage you to stay with it…….. easy to say …hard to do, I know.

You have so much to offer, and to get there we have have to go through the linear/compartmentalized educational trial by fire…..

I just noticed you haven’t mentioned meds???? They do work…..they can be a great help in the “task driven” portion of your life….really.

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

toofat , that was my first post. its all new to me . were you asking me about taking meds? or God ….. :]

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

LOL, I think that was a GAWD not a “God”.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

OK Cheez,

I use technology to help me. I use the Livescribe pen to record the lectures. I am an auditory learner, which means if I am paying attention, you tell me something and it is in my head forever. Now I move the pen around the page, taking notes, and trying to pay attention. When I drift, my pen does not. Because of the playback capabilities, I can listen to the lecture as many times as I want. This worked for my graduate courses as well as workplace meetings. We didn’t have technology, when I was in High school.

Focusing: LOL you are asking the wrong person on that. I am either all over the place or I am hyper-focused on one thing and the whole time-space continuum thing disappears. What I am learning is what triggers that hyper-focus and how to use it on MY schedule.

I couldn’t tell from your post. Are you working with a councilor? Are you living at home? Are we talking about high school, or college, or your first internship? Each one opens different options to you and makes different solutions to the problem. Which reminds me. I can infer that inattention is a problem, what other aspects of ADHD do you have? Do you have any of the other “Gifts” that sometimes “bless” us?

The only reason I ask, is you are asking for specific help, and I can practically feel the frustration coming out of the screen (hugs to you btw). I would like to answer your questions as best I can as a survivor of the academic system.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)