Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I so hate myself…Part II

I so hate myself…Part II2011-12-19T15:05:45+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other I so hate myself…Part II

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Wgreen
    Participant

There are several strings up here about the difficulty ADDers have within marriages. How about problems with parents? Because ADD is most often genetically transmitted, most of us have at least one parent with the disorder. This can set up a vicious dynamic with devastating consequences: a son or daughter who has inherited the unforgivable “sins” of a parent. What happens is the non-ADD parent projects frustration and anger at the shortcomings of his/her ADD spouse onto a similarly behaving child from a very early age. That ADD child, who has enough to deal with, consequently has to carry the burden of one parent’s shortcomings, the subject of the other parent’s unrelenting harangues. “Your dad (or mom) is worthless, and (because you act like him/her) you are, too!”

Sinister stuff.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

I wish I could say it isn’t so, but I’ve lived it, and even 400 miles away it still goes on.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

How many times have I had sneered at me, “You’re just like your father!” At least now I know why I’m so much like him.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Yes.

I changed my name in my late teens because I heard it in an exasperated tone so often I couldn’t stand the sound of it.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Oops. Sorry. Apparently didn’t read your post properly as this isn’t quite what you’re talking about!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)