Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I was anxious to have my ADD confirmed but now what?

I was anxious to have my ADD confirmed but now what?2012-12-01T06:23:06+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! My Story I was anxious to have my ADD confirmed but now what?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve just been diagnosed with ADD-inattentive. I started taking generic concerta er 27 mg. I found this site to do some investigating and I have been on an emotional roller coaster since. I always suspected that my forgetfulness, scatter-brained, impulsiveness, addictive tendencies, excessive procrastination, lack of reading comprehension…. you know the rest, was not NORMAL! I honestly don’t know how I am sane at all, with everything that I’ve been through as a result from the symptoms of ADD. The depression bouts, the anxiety and panic attacks, sometimes a flare of euphoria from what I couldn’t tell you. I have even had to stop typing this to make sure I’m saying what I want to say and not just blurting out all the stuff that’s really going on in my head..

The worst part, was being afraid to tell anyone, including my doctor. But the symptoms have become so severe that it has impacted every aspect of my life! And being married to someone who is the polar opposite can really be challenging as well.

It’s frustrating, embarrassing, frightening…

So as I said, I came here to find some answers but I’m finding myself asking more questions than ever.I just don’t know what to expect! Will the meds work? How long will it take before I know its working? Is there a “moment” when you say to yourself, “Wow, I’m feeling better!” or ” I did that and didn’t procrastinate at all!” I realize these are unrealistic questions but at what point did YOU start to feel better?

Earlier today I was on cloud 9 because I had the diagnosis but now (maybe because the meds are wearing off) I feel alittle depressed.

One more thing…. I self- diagnosed myself. From there I knew i had to approach my doctor (a few times). It is very frustrating to know that there is something wrong with you but the doctor dismisses it because you possible couldn’t know more than they do. After taking the confirmed results back to my doctor, as she was reading it she was doing the, hmm- really-ahha…. as if it was something humorous. I visualized myself jumping out of my chair and slapping the crap out of her!

If you only get one thing out of this post, get this…. You and only you know yourself better that anyone else! Even the highest paid Dr. who wears allegator shoes and drives a BMW! So if you don’t like how they treat you, walk out! Your doctor is supposed to WORK for you! There are plenty of great doctors out there! Just don’t give up!

Thanks for letting me vent!!

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

Hi,

So glad you found this site. It’s late where I live and I’m about to go to bed. But I always look and read the forums before turning in. That way I go to sleep knowing there are others out there like me and we’re not alone in this.

I so very much felt similar feelings as you wrote about. I got diagnosed ADHD about 2 years about about age 43. I always thought I probably had it but didn’t really come to terms with getting treatment until things got so severe that my life was falling apart and I lost a job in the wake of ADHD symptoms wreaking havoc at work and my personal life.

I’m so glad I found this site. I had watched the PBS documentary but it took me a while to get on the site and the forums.

Yep this whole thing is a roller coaster of emotions and ah ah’s. I have gone from relief of the oh yeah I was right there is something wrong and I’m not crazy. To anger about why couldn’t I have known earlier and It would have saved me sooo much grief. Add in a side of depression about it. Then to ok lets learn how to manage this, get things working as best I can. Then learn to advocate for myself and others.

When things started to work better I didn’t really see it at first. I had a good therapist who would point out the differences to me. Like I could stay on track at my sessions. My speech was different in a good way and all the fidgeting and hands moving all over was settled down. I said well I’m glad you notice because inside I still feel like I’m all over and going a million miles an hour. It took a couple of months for the “rest of me” to catch up to my new self. And no this was not like a big drastic change. I expected also that medication would just all of a sudden make all the difference in the world! But for me it was more subtle than that.

I’m on a low dose of adderall since I’ve found I’m sensitive to most any medication. It doesn’t take much but it makes a good difference on most days. There are still days that can get a little off but now I know it will not go on for the long periods of time like I had before with forgetfulness and procrastination, impulsiveness etc. It’s so much more short lived now. I feel more like the self that was trying to get out but was so bogged down with all the undiagnosed symptoms.

Mostly what I can tell you is that with some time you will feel better. This site is so great for support for asking questions to find out how others have gone about living with ADD. And a good place to have a nice rant. It’s a great place so stick around and give yourself a well deserved high five for getting here!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks misswho23… I will have to look for that PBS documentary that everyone is talking about. In a strange way it does feel better to know that so many ppl are going through what I am going through. I have prayed extensively over my issue and my first prayer has already been answered by confirming my diagnosis. I hope we both continue to get better. I will definately keep checking in on this site because it has been extremely helpful so far.

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

The documentary is the thing that jump started this whole site. Look on the home page and you will find information about it. It’s also available in the online store. I’ve read though some of your other posts on the site. Stick around. For me it’s a life line.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Having ADD is like hitting a dead end regardless of which way you go.

Finding out that you have ADD is like learning that you are in the middle of a big maze.

Finding this site is like finding people who will help you find your way out. But it takes time . . . and you have to stay plugged in and ask for help. It’s hard to do it alone.

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

Well put KC.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)