Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I was finally diagnosed! But I'm not surprised.

I was finally diagnosed! But I'm not surprised.2010-07-17T11:11:31+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! My Story I was finally diagnosed! But I'm not surprised.

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m 27yrs. old and was just diagnosed with ADHD about a week ago. The Psychologist that diagnosed me actually referred me to this site. Which is great by the way.

Okay from the beginning, since well before I can remember while in my mothers whom I was kicking and squirming when she was just 4months with me. So much so that on my way into the world, I ended up getting tangled in the umbilical cord, luckily I had a good Doctor whom noticed and untangled me before I lost any oxygen to brain. (Which wouldn’t help matters much). When I was young I had an over active imagination, couldn’t sit still, always fidgeting, wondering off where I shouldn’t be, bugging my sister etc. In school I was like many kids with ADHD I was talkative thought to be disruptive to other students learning. So much so, that my desk would be moved away from the other students to a separate area in the class room, (usually next to the teachers desk) or I’d be sent out side to stand there until I could settle down. It wasn’t much for the ego; being pegged as lazy, class clown, under achiever, bad or weird kid. Which made it hard to make friends. Not to mentchin constant worrying of my mom getting a phone call from the school again. Now I later found out that the school suggested to my mother about putting me on Ritalin but she refused saying I don’t need it because I wasn’t that bad at home. Well yeah, because I didn’t have to sit in a chair for what felt like an eternity. Even though I was at home my ADHD was still there. I was just freer to move around and daydream as I pleased.

By the time I entered high school some of my hyperactivity seemed to mellow out, one he out side. Mean I wasn’t getting out of my chair during class any more but inside I was still racing. I was unorganized, losing homework assignments, and I found it even harder doing things such as taking notes (which my dyslexia didn’t help much in) or listening during lectures. I often at times would try so hard to stay focused and feel so board I’d fall asleep, which doesn’t go over to well with the teachers. At this point I began skipping school or classes that I knew I had a hard time staying present in. This didn’t help my academics much, and I ended up taking an extra year to get my high school diploma. I was told “If only I you applied yourself you could do so much more.” But that’s just it I did at least I felt like I did. At some point I found out that I really enjoy working with my hands and helping people so I decided to become a CNA out of high school in hopes of becoming a Nurse in the ER. When I lost interest (things became to over whelming) I was on to something new Cosmetology. I thought this would be a great field for me; I always enjoyed doing hair for my friends in school. But when I didn’t pass the practical exam from being stressed, distracted and disorganized. I felt so embarrassed and ashamed for failing in something again it took 2 years for me to pick myself up and retake it. Then when I passed I was so happy to finish something, I felt silly for not doing it sooner.

Currently I’m working and trying to get through college for the third time. Now I suspected I had ADHD when I was in my late teens after a friend asked me “Do you have ADD or something?” after getting distracted by a poster in the hall way, during a deep conversation. After gathered what little information I could find at the time, and was shocked that I could agree with just about every one of the symptoms listed with ADHD. Not sure what I should do, I putting it off, doing nothing about it. It didn’t last long. I couldn’t put a side something that is so much apart of my life. So I became aware of my “Spacey” habits (as I like to call them) and did the best I could to work with and around them. Setting reminders on my phone for paying bills, and important dates the moment I find out about them, or leaving big notes around the house in places so I would be sure to see them. Now when it comes to finishing school I’ve accepted that I might need more then reminders to do home work and stay focused in class and that is why I decided to get tested of ADHD. And the results as you can guess where what I had suspected for some time, that I do have ADHD. YAY I’m not LAZY! I feel relieved, and now onward! To getting the proper treatment and support I need to be successful in the way I know I can.

Thanks for reading my long…story :-)

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Thanks so much for sharing, SweetPea. So much of this resonates with me as well – and I’m in the final stages of getting diagnosed. One of the things that came out in my discussion with the psychometrist – I often wandered off as a toddler, taking my tricycle down the street and into the construction zone, wandering around the neighbourhood, striking up conversations with strangers. Just about drove my mom crazy with worry.

That note you made about how the teachers thought you could do better if you just applied yourself…..*laughing* Yes, that’s familiar too.

And isn’t it just amazing to know that: 1) these behaviours aren’t “the usual” (especially when you grow up thinking that everyone has the same issues as you); and 2) that there are more of us out here, in such a great supportive area.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@SweetPea

Really glad you checked out the website. Reading some of the member’s stories and advice has helped me very much. Sharing with each other helps you to see, that there are many people that are going through what you are. Things that I thought only happened to me are common place. Hopefully you will find that ADD, while being a challenge is also a gift. So welcome!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@

wolfshades

&

so_calvin

Thanks so much for replying, its a nice feeling to know that your being understood.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)