Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I was just diagnose with ADHD

I was just diagnose with ADHD2011-05-26T03:37:50+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Have a Diagnosis, Now What? I was just diagnose with ADHD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Today after waiting a year to see the doctoc, I have been diagnosed with ADHD!!! I don’t know what to do, and I am abit scared of the pills i have to take starting tomorrow (CONCERTA)

I don’t know what to do now or who to talk to. I live alone here in Quebec and all my family lives in Nova Scotia. I wish I had someone to talk to about what I can do.

I really not sure what to say on here other than I’m scared and nerves!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is a great site for general information. I also highly recommend that you find a book, either on the internet or at your local bookstore, called Delivered from Distraction by Edward M. Hallowell M.D. (whom also has ADHD) and John J. Ratey M.D. It has given me a lot of insight and confirmed the diagnosis I was given in July, 2005. There are other great books, but this one is at the top of my list, I think partially because it’s written by someone who knows what it’s like from the inside out instead of vice versa.

Now I know this was posted three days ago, so I hope things are going well. Sorry, I would have responded earlier, but just got into the forums as I was browsing around today (have been here to this site several times but never really took the time to get on the forums). How is the new meds doing for you? Can you tell any positive difference yet? Can those around you tell a positive difference?

I’m going to give you a few tips. First off, if concerta doesn’t work for you, or if it works but gives you some pretty bad side effects, talk to your doctor about trying something different or changing the dose. At this point in time, finding the right medication still requires some guesswork.

Secondly, the whole “medication solves it” attitude that seems (unfortunately) common for most doctors, is far from sufficient to really get you on the right track. While medication does help a great deal, it’s not a cure. It’s similar to going to the doctor with a badly broken leg, the doctor sets the bone, hands you crutches, prescribes you pain medication, and sends you on your way saying you’ll be just fine. OK, the crutches and pain medications help you cope, and setting the bone helps for a short while, but without things like a splint or cast, the bone will likely never heal correctly, not to mention that checkups and the like after a while are also very helpful.

What I am basically telling you is that there’s a lot more to it, which is actually good news! It means that this isn’t just some simple issue that anyone who’s not an idiot can just snap their fingers and fix. It’s more complex than that. It means that there is much much more to gain than to loose.

Try to make yourself an expert on ADHD. Not overnight of course, and if you can’t read a book, find it on CD or MP3 and listen to it while you’re on your way to work! Find people who will give you some help and support you! Find or look to good friends who really like you for who you are! The more you learn, the better off you will be.

And it’s OK to be nervous! This is the first step into a whole new world that even now you cannot imagine. It’s going to take a lot of effort to get there, but with the right kind of support from education about ADHD and those around you, I think you’ll find you can go places you never thought possible! Hope to hear from ya soon!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s a new video that was just released that I think will be helpful. Hope you enjoy!

http://totallyadd.com/lets-get-on-with-it/

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I totally agree with Alden, knowlege is power! The more you learn about your diagnosis and your behaviors, what ADHD means to YOU specifically as well as the diagnosis in general, the better off you are and the less scary it all becomes. I became borderline obsessed with learning everything I could about my diagnosis precisely because it’s so ‘big’, especially when you get diagnosed later in life. I was diagnosed with ADHD 3 years ago and the mixture of emotions from elation that my problem had a name to downright sadness frustration and regret at the things I ‘failed’ at because I just didn’t know. It’s a lot to wrap your head around.

This site has been a godsend to me in the most important ways. I have a great support system with my family, my sisters in particular, and my friends, even my boss and employer are awesome, which I am finding out is rare, but truly “you don’t know til you know” and hearing other people’s stories, successes and stuggles helps get me through. I had a challenging time a couple of weeks ago and this site, and the forum, helped me tremendously to get through the issue with my sanity mostly intact. There’s a comfort in knowing that I’m not alone, not just as someone who has ADHD, but someone who got diagnosed as an adult.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions, even if they seem ‘silly’. Every time I meet with my doc, I have some new ‘sensation’ I want to ask him about or some question about past behavior that may have been ADHD, You are your own best advocate and you are the only one who can guarantee that you get top notch care for your ADHD. If something doesn’t seem like it’s working, let your doc know. I was started on a low dose of Vyvanse, which worked well until it didn’t. I was afraid to mention to my doc that it didn’t seem like it was working because I was afraid that I would look like I was a pill seeker and wanted to abuse the meds. My doc assured me that most people who are started on my dose move up and that if it’s not working, why would I want to waste my copay on it? I felt a little dumb, but again, you don’t know til you know.

I hope to hear about your progress! Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)