Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

If I can't keep a job, can I start a company?

If I can't keep a job, can I start a company?2015-10-19T17:55:35+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Self-Employment If I can't keep a job, can I start a company?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

theoutlier

This may be a generic question for this forum, but since I am on my 23rd or so job and I have recently bought 2 books on how to start your own business, I need to know what I am getting into. Is self-employment more sustainable for someone with my track record? I read the beginning of the “Small Business for Dummies” book and was intrigued by one of the questions: “On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being poor and 5 being awesome) When you experience loss, does it scar you for life or do you focus and keep moving forward?” As for the answer to that question, its my 23rd job, so yes I do press on when I get turned down. So far, no one has been able to convince me that I cannot do a good job. Superman is invincible. I’m unconvincible. That’s my super power. I may not do a consistantly good job, but as an engineer I have ideas that no on else has, and what keeps them from coming into fruition half of the time is people writing them off because of the stigma that I forget things. I have untried ideas because no one wants to try them. I also have ideas that don’t work because I did not understand what it was my employer wanted- in other words, misunderstood instructions.

Until I got demoted last month over a misunderstanding, I was making more money than I ever have before with more responsibility than I ever had before. I have also been at this place longer than any place before (2 years and 2 months). If someone like me is not convinced that they can’t succeed, is starting my own business a good idea? Any feedback or questions is appreciated. Y’all don’t know me from Adam, so if you want to know more, just ask. I should probably find the introductions forum and introduce myself. Im just frustrated about my job and forgot to do it.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

The short answer is “yes”.

I have several friends who own their own businesses, who are VERY ADHD. One of them gets himself into financial trouble, by biting off more than he can chew, and forgetting to pay the vendors.

He solved that by hiring an office manager/bookkeeper/receptionist/dispatcher/…

I loaned him some money to get his business going, because that is what I do as part of my business. I make secured loans to companies, and people. I also have rental properties. And when I am not busy enough, I do some financial advising for my oldest clients. I have an office manager/bookkeeper/receptionist/dispatcher/legal consultant/partner to help me with the day-to-day details.

It can be done and the best thing about it is, since you are the boss, you can bend the workplace to fit your needs.

Hope this helps.

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

theOutlier, I love the line “Superman is invincible. I’m unconvincible”.

In other topics, I have a lot of things I used to like and some things I sort of like but nothing that get’s me excited enough to “commit” my imagination to. In the past I would create some success by having a committed imagination, where I couldn’t NOT do a thing, Passion is what it’s called in the neurotypical world, but for me I think it must be more. Maybe I’m wrong about that observation and just think I different but it seems right.

I had everything planned a few days ago and now I don’t even remember what it was all about.

this is so frustrating.

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

My browser is not working right. I clicked submit, when it didn’t go I remembered I wanted to be notified of replies so I checked the box then hit submit. I still took nearly forever, then I get this courtious little pink box that says ERROR: Duplicate reply detected; looks as though you’ve already said that!

Oops! Bad Browser!

REPORT ABUSE

theoutlier

Thanks for the feedback. Now the question is, what business to start, and whether to wait to get fired or quit. Thats a big decision. Looking for another job is an 8 hour/day job. Right now I think so hard at work than when I get home all I want to do is stare at the computer.

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

Why not try a computer business. Start slow while you are still working then as you pick up start cutting your own hours.

Videos and podcasts are big, just start giving away content then as your audience grows monetize only the products you believe in.

What do you really like and can talk about for hours?

Do you know how to make phone Apps?

If you play video games talk about your favorite few, give tips on how to get to the next level, or ”3 things you should never do…”

I’m still learning about computers, I have a couple of websites but I think I need to be a little more consistent with my content. I also need to pick just one and give it my best attention.

I wrote this in the friends section first. Seems if you write in the Forum it will go to your timeline but if you write in the timeline it stays in the timeline.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

A professor of entrepreneurship — who himself has ADHD — has launched a series of studies investigating how entrepreneurs with ADHD are helped or hindered by their symptoms. The results of the first study — though far from conclusive — indicate that ADHD traits like impulsivity and hyperfocus may positively impact an entrepreneur’s business success.

The study, led by Professor Johan Wiklund and published last August in the Journal of Business Venturing Insights, examined 14 entrepreneurs who had been previously diagnosed with ADHD.

We have been doing executive coaching and business consulting specifically for people with AD/HD for a long time. About 70% of the business owners we engage have ADHD. Either we attract all the people in the world with ADHD…not likely…or the majority of business owners have ADHD, AS or something similar.

We have several staff psychologists that are experts in ADHD and most of our staff have ADHD, we have a lot of experience in blending people with AD/HD and people/business partners that compliment someone with ADHD. As the article states, we have many great qualities that work in business…but the fact is, there are many areas that are a challenge for us. Running a business has its own difficulties. You need to understand your strengths and be able to fill in the gaps with neurotypicals that are great at things you are not.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)