Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I'm getting medication!

I'm getting medication!2012-04-28T12:31:43+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Medication I'm getting medication!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Tiddler

My wonderful GP is going to prescribe for me and the psychiatrist that I’m having to wait until October to see has agreed since I’ll be getting a follow up from her.

I’m getting help!

I just had to share.

And also ask – how quickly did you feel the benefit? Was it a gradual realisation that things were getting done more easily or Bang! I can FOCUS!

I feel pretty good today…hopeful!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hey Tiddler – that’s great news! Well done for holding out and for your persistence.

It depends on what you’re being prescribed as to how quickly you feel the benefit. If you’ve been given methylphenidate then within 40 minutes. You might need to fiddle with the dose to get a balance between it working and any side effects being acceptable.

Good luck – please realise that if you do have methylphenidate then the effects can be subtle. Often you only realise it’s working when you take a break from it. Be prepared for a few weeks of tinkering with the dose.

My first day – it was BANG I can focus. Thereafter – very subtle. But everyone is different.

If you have been given anything other than methylphenidate then I have no idea.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Thank you! I’m so excited. I’m not expecting a miracle, or even necessarily for it to work for me – but I’m open to all possibilities and feeling much more positive as a result.

I think it will be methylphenidate as that’s what is recommended as first choice in the NICE guidelines. I kind of like the idea of thinking I just feel exactly the same as I normally do but then I look around and realise that the housework has been done and I’ve caught up on my paperwork…that’d be something!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congratulations Tiddler!! It’s been a huge battle for you. I agree with everything Scattybird said.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Tiddler – just one other small comment – and again everyone is different. But I find I still have to work at getting things done. So – tell myself what I need to do before I take one. That is mainly to avoid it giving me an incorrect focus – such as on a computer game!

You will probably find that you can allow yourself to be distracted becuase the meds will help you re-focus again.

Also, you might get a headache when the last one of the day wears off. Have a coffee or something then until you get used to them.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Thanks again, both. That’s a good thing to be aware of.

I keep having nightmares about having no control over my life. Knowign i’m being taken seriously will go a long way to helping, even if I do have problems with the meds.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Tiddler – don’t go onto this assuming you’ll have problems with the meds. If all is well then you’re talking about adjustments of doses that’s all.

Don’t be scared of the meds or of discussing things with your GP.

Have belief in yourself too! :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

You’re right. I’m really excited about it and hoping it’ll work but not assuming they will – if that makes sense. Going in with an open mind won’t crush me if they don’t work and won’t set me up to fail by assuming they won’t either.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

It’s my friend’s birthday today and I wanted to make her a card with some flowers she likes on it. Of course, I needed my husband to help get the picture the right size and the card printed in the right direction etc and he laughed when he realised that I needed it NOW – RIGHT NOW because she’s going out tonight and I want to get it to her before then. He’s hoping he’ll maybe get a LITTLE more notice when I’m on the meds.

:D

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I know what you mean Tiddler. Have you seen the video that Russell Barkley does where he talks about those with ADHD having two types of time – NOW and SOMETIME LATER…… and the sometime later never registers until it becomes NOW! So true …..at least for me.

The meds helps with that a little – but you have to be in that mindset. The main thing they do for me is reduce the brain chatter so I can hone in on the important thing….and control my temper too. Both of those are helpful. They also make me feel a bit subdued and …….well…… grown up. That’s good for work purposes and for being taken seriously at work, but sometimes I wonder where the bouncy me has gone. Of course she comes back again and then I am thankful for the meds!

Exciting times for you!

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Very exciting. Yes, I’ve shown everyone who was prepared to sit through it that video. LOL It’s SO me I couldn’t believe it when I saw it.

I’ve always swung between being Tigger and being Eyore – I’m ready to be Pooh for a while.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

YAYYYYYYY!!!!! *So* happy for you, Tiddler!!!! Woooo hooooo!!!

Happy dance! Happy dance! Happy dance!

I’m starting on meds too, so we’re right there together! :-)

I failed Strattera because of this awful, horrible, evil hot gas bubble burps, and now I’m trying Metadate (Methylphenidate) ER 20mg. I’m hoping that I don’t have side effects that are intolerable and that I start to notice some benefits!!!

I have the ER version, so, I’m thinking I won’t have a “Whoah – my brain works.” moment about 40 minutes into taking it, I’m expecting that it will be much more subtle, but still I’m hoping that it’s something I can notice and appreciate!

Woo hoo for us! :-D

Keep me posted…

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Ashockley – if the ER doesn’t work for you after you have given it a fair chance then try the fast release. Someone I know can’t deal with the ER but pops the fast release quite happily.

Tiddler – I love your analogy of bouncing between Tigger and Eyore – that just sums it up totally! And yes, meds make one more like Pooh!! I am a bear of very little brain but now it can at least focus. :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Ashockley, we can post together if you like – hopefully with good news for both of us.

Scattybird, I can cope with very little brain if the one I have is quieter! lol

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Yes, we can, Tiddler!

How is it going for you so far?

And, which med are you on? Did you say? Or did I not catch that?

I am on day two of Metadate ER, 20 mg.

I took it late today, because I had a hard time getting myself to get up and at ’em.

Then I was worried about taking it with breakfast because I heard that eating can cause the stomach acid to stir up (which I know, I have chronic acid reflux) and that the stomach acid can make the Metadate not work….????

So then I waited.

And did some stuff, I don’t remember what.

Oh yeah, I brushed my teeth and talked to my mama on the phone and waxed my excessive facial hair. :-/

Then I got a shower.

Then I finally took it.

Effects so far:

Maaaybe a little dry mouth, but not all that noticable or concerning. Some fatigue, which I struggle with usually, but noticed a little increase of it. A feel……emotional? sad? Emotional. But, then again, I’m entering the PMS phase of my cycle, so don’t know of the medicine is just making that more pronounced or what. Maybe starting a new med and PMS at around about the same time was a bad idea?

Also…..I feel more….talkative?

For example, I have done a fair number (more than usual) posts/responses here, and I’ve done a lot of posting on facebook.

Kind of stream-of-consciouness, humorous ADD-brain observations, motor mouth randomness type stuff…so…..

why would the Metadate be making that WORSE for goodness sakes?

or, more likely to share it?

When I get around groups of people, friends, I sometimes get….energized? and can be very talkative, funny, over-share.

But not it’s like that when I’m not around a group of people…I’m going out there and doing it on facebook when I’m sitting here alone in my room. :-/

Makes me concerned that maybe there IS some bipolarity and that this Metadate is touching on my mental mania overly talkative aspect?

Lord, what to do! what to do!

I just want calm, thoughtful, serene brain so I can get my stuff done and write a poem!!!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)