Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

I'm getting more done and I'm less distracted, but I'm not happy about it…

I'm getting more done and I'm less distracted, but I'm not happy about it…2012-01-27T23:59:10+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta I'm getting more done and I'm less distracted, but I'm not happy about it…

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

For the past several months I’ve been off work due to work related traumatic stress and I have been undergoing treatment which has included 6 different antidepressants, clonazepam, and concerta at various times. I started with concerta about two months ago, and gradually increased the dose to 36mg but found it was pretty intense. I switched to 20mg Ritalin SR twice a day, which was gentler and seemed to work about the same.

Here’s the problem though: I am finding myself becoming anxious more than when I started taking stimulants. It’s pretty noticeable, since some times I get so anxious I feel this overwhelmed feeling, which makes me want to shut down, curl up and cry. I thought my anxiety was under control as a result of CBT I did recently. I know that some stimulants can increase anxiety, especially in someone who is prone to it. The only thing is now, I’m really noticing it more than ever!

I’m also finding myself getting these really really bad “funks” lately. Not every day, but some days I will wake up and just feel like it’s going to be an awful day, that I’m feeling terrible, and so on. Even when I try some mindfulness techniques or keep myself busy, I still just have that sad, empty feeling that persists for a good part of the day. I’ve kept an eye on it, and it doesn’t seem to be related to the ritalin dose wearing off. In fact, I tend to improve slightly in the evening…

So here’s the problem! I’m more focused, motivated and find it much easier to sit still, as well as have much more energy. BUT…. I’m getting some unpleasant anxiety and depression symptoms along with it. At this point I wonder if it’s even worth taking the Ritalin anymore…

Anybody got any ideas or similar experiences? And in case you’re wondering, yes I will be talking to my doctor soon!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would let your doctor know of the things your are seeing in terms of symptoms and

improvements,

The doctor should be able to discuss with you the next steps.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think Robert is steering you right Bender……..see the Doc…tell him everything…everything!!!! It might be beneficial to jot your thoughts down at home while the feelings are fresh, and take your notes with you for reference. I do that….just in point form, so I make sure to get everything covered….information is your Doc’s best ally. Notes keep me from getting 1/2 way home and going……SHIT I forgot to say……this or that?????

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m having similar experiences with fluctuating anxiety and unstable mood. I’ve also noticed that my natural tendency to have OCD symptoms, which had stopped, has now returned since starting on stimulants. I agree that its a good idea to talk to your doctor.

I was on an SSRI medication for 13 years and it took me a lot of struggle to get off it, because it wasn’t helping, so I am trying natural alternatives before I consider going back to chemical methods of treating my anxiety. At the moment I’m experimenting with a natural GABA supplement which also contains other ‘calming’ ingredients. I tried NAC (an amino acid) for the increased OCD, but it tended to increase my physical anxiety by giving me slight nausea and an increase in blood pressure, well that’s what it felt like, so I stopped taking that.

So far the GABA seems to be helping, but I’m only taking a low dose of 200mg which is part of a formula called “True Calm’. I have 500mg supplements, but haven’t tried them yet.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bender

I am just adding to what toofat mentioned

You are seeing improved sets of symptoms

“I’m more focused, motivated and find it much easier to sit still, as well as have much more energy.”

“I’m getting some unpleasant anxiety and depression symptoms along with it.”

Even if you tell the doctor the two thing you said above …it will provide information that will help with the next steps in treatment

You have made positive gains. The anxiety and depression is what the doctor will try to manage

Number 7

You should tell this to your doctor. They can make some treatment recommendations. Your negative symptoms “anxiety and mood” is causing you problems. You should make an appointment!!!!!

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Bender,

I started off taking Ritalin, then Concerta, then Adderal, and now I am taking Focalin XR. RItalin made me feel like there were ants under my skin. Concerta had no affect at all, but I noticed if I needed to use my brain at all that day, I got blinding headaches. I called Adderal my “Stupid” pills, cause they made my brain not work. Focalin seems to do it for me. I can think, concentrate, and I don’t get headaches or any other noticable side-effects.

Short answer? Talk to your doctor. Let him/her know about what you are taking and why it isn’t working for you. Be as specific as you can. Write your experiences down in a notebook. That last part worked for me, because I don’t have to remember what to tell her.

These people see hundreds of cases like ours, where we only see ourselves.

Good luck, and be persistent.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your replies, everybody! It’s really nice to know that there are others going through the same thing as me.

I saw my doctor and told her about the symptoms I had been experiencing. We discussed what time I take the meds, my sleep, other symptoms, and so on. She seems to think a big part of the problem is the “crash” associated with taking Ritalin SR. This makes sense because I often get the low moods in the early evening (or early afternoon if I only take one)

I mentioned that the first time I tried name-brand Concerta I found it to be a little intense. However, last week I decided to test a theory and took the one remaining Concerta I had instead of taking the ritalin SR. I found it to be less intense than I remembered, and I didn’t get the “crash and burn” that I did with the SR. She agreed that it would be a good idea to try Concerta again for a couple weeks and see how it goes.

I think it might be a case of me getting used to the effects of the meds and managing them better. I’m not familiar with Focalin and I’m not sure if my doctor is too familiar with it either. Maybe my doctor is just being conservative and playing it safe with the older, tried-and-true meds?

As for the anxiety, my meditation has helped, and I try to focus on my breathing more and more. It’s just hard to calm yourself sometimes when a medication gives you all the physical symptoms of anxiety! In all the meds I’ve tried, what helped me the most was a small dose (0.25mg) of clonazepam. As a result of CBT and meditation I only take it a couple times a month. I’m not a fan of taking PRN benzos, but it really does help.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)