Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Immune to peer pressure

Immune to peer pressure2011-06-17T05:29:22+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Immune to peer pressure

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Shadow Nexus

As a teenager, I was totally immune to peer pressure. I never took drugs, got drunk, or stole things. Did stupid things on a dare. Also, I never had too many friends. I did my own thing. Had fun with the few close friends I had. I want to know if anyone else had it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

um… i did some stuff that you mentioned, but not because of peer pressure. i was pretty short of friends to be influenced by, and relatively sure that the majority of my ‘peers’ were complete muppets anyway. i didn’t have a whole bunch of fun, but meh. :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t recall being particularly influenced by peer pressure. Didn’t have all that many friends to be influenced by! When I did end up with a few more friends at uni, then I would generally walk away from their activities if not interested. I just didn’t see the point in acting like a bunch of sheep being herded by a dog! I preferred individuality. Maybe it’s why I don’t see many of my uni friends anymore!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Same as you, filmbuff, until I went away to university and was living away from home (no parental influence. Then I starting skipping classes, drinking (but not a lot), marijuana, letting other people influence me, etc. no discipline, no direction, doing what I wanted. I wasn’t really bad, but it still took a long time to become more independent and get back on track. I quit uni in my third year and never really had a career, just moved from one job to the next. Have been self-employed for 6 years now and it’s the first job I’ve ever held that long.

I wonder if being immune to peer pressure as a child/teen is because I didn’t have many female friends and they were not the wild and crazy type. I was a tomboy, though, and one of my male companions as a child was a bit reckless so I happily went along with that, mostly adventures. As we got older, we stopped playing together, obviously, and the influence diminished.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was a tomboy too, and got up to plenty of mischief as a youngster. Lots of bike riding, playing in creeks, making crazy things out of rope and wood, digging big holes in the yard, and climbing trees. I became more introverted as a teen, as I never felt like I fit in anywhere, though I never felt the urge to follow my peers in an effort to fit in better, as I felt that it wouldn’t make a difference so why bother.

REPORT ABUSE

Just_Nemo

Even as a teen I thought other teens were kinda stupid I mean that point of doing that was what now?

and as far as friends I had few but good friends that I’m still friends with and all but one has ADD.

I guess it is because we did not get it.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

realte to just_nemo……. yeah.

Friends? I’ve had a few over the years, they come and they go, most don’t last more than a few years, but it’s great for that time. (A few have lasted, but for moves, changes, etc. – there’s distance and other stuff in between.

The doctors, esp the two dealing with my ADHD, act like they think I’m lying through my teeth when I answer their questions:

A. any recreational drug use? No, never. “not even try”. Nope. “Never?” That’s right, never, not even a sample, a snort, sniff, lick or otherwise. None, zip, zilch, zero

B. alcohol use – how many drinks a month average? A year? Oh, maybe 6 or 8 a beers a year. “That’s it, take your time” No need, that’s it – I can keep track it’s so little. I have a glass of wine (or less) every few days, that’s it. It’s rare, and I have been “tipsy” maybe once in the last 3 or 4 years.

C. Smoke? Nope. “not at all?” Nope, not at all. “Ever?” I had one cigar, or rather part of one, back in the mid 1980s when a friend had a baby, and he handed out cigars at a big town celebration raising funds for the fire-fighters. I did it out of friendship and respect, and remembered why I never took up smoking, and never finished it.

I used to make tennis ball cannons and shoot them down the street at friends who also had one, shooting back our direction. They were made from beer cans taped together, and used lighter fluid as fuel, and shot balls a good block or so. My mother furnished some of the stuff to make them (except the beer cans – ours used soda cans)

She also furnished me bottle rockets, firecrackers, B-B guns, archery sets, etc. but do even a TINY amount of damage to someone’s property, and that was the end of life as I knew it, so was always careful not to abuse her allowing us to be kids.

Yeah, they had to fill their share of holes in the yard as I was certain there was something buried in the yard, like some pioneer or pirate had buried secrets out there, and I could dig clear to China if I kept digging long and deep enough.

>>I became more introverted as a teen, as I never felt like I fit in anywhere, though I never felt the urge to follow my peers in an effort to fit in better, as I felt that it wouldn’t make a difference so why bother. <<

Yes, that statement REALLY sums it up for me quite well. I could have written that myself if I had such writing talent.

REPORT ABUSE

Outoftune

Wow! I always just thought I was wierd! I was the only one of my friends who never even tried a cigarette, weed or anyother drugs. I also turned down dares and never did any of the bad stuff my friends did. That is not to say that I was a prude by any means lol I found alchohol but on my own meaning I drank because I discovered it and wanted to not because my friends presented it to me or encouraged me to. I was very careful with that because of my family’s history with alchohol and never got drunk and never drank emmotionally just socially. Any trouble I got into was my own ideas lol and we’re talking nothing bad at all really. Have you seen the wet paint video? More like that. Nothing that would cause anyone any harm or anything but a great deal of inconvienience ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

It’s interesting that there seems to be a theme of this among us isn’t it. Especially considering we are renound for lacking impulse control. I wonder how that works then? Very interesting anyway. Especailly since it doesn’t sound like any of us are prudish or necessarlity against some of these things. Me for example, I would sit in the pot circle chatting with my friends out in our school’s field knowing that the teachers/principle could emmerge at any moment and didn’t really bat an eye. So it’s not that I had a problem with my friends doing it or was worried about getting in trouble at all it’s just that it’s not something I wanted for myself. I cared too much about the well being of my brain.

One time I lent a friend my car which my Mom and I shared and my friend returned it to our driveway and left when I wasn’t home. I didn’t tell me Mom I lent it cause she would be furious so when she assumed I had taken the car somewhere that afternoon I said yes. Well it turns out that when I was gone and my freind had returned the car my Mom decided to go to the store. When she got in the car it had been totally hot boxed and the radio was blaaaaaring a certain raunchy Ludacris song called Splash Waterfalls (I’m some of you of my age know this one lol) which was on my cd. Yes I love my some Luda lol) Anyway you can imagine her horror! ๐Ÿ˜† Needless to say we had a big talk about peer pressure when she got home lol ๐Ÿ™„

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I won’t let anyone else drive any of my cars for the most part. I have, but it’s only under real duress. HA. I let my son borrow my pickup, but it almost made me crazy. I let another person drive my prized Javelin back from a show when my trailer burned up an axle – but I had little choice. Let another AMC fan drive that car for several hours, or let it sit at a race track for a week then go back and pick it up…… relax, bill, relax, it’s all fine.

I went to those parties, I was among those with the powders and weeds and hard stuff. We respected each others choices pretty much.

I’ve been drunk out of my gourd, I had to be carried out of a bar on penny beer night when I was in college and we all went out drinking and partying. apparently there was another group there, and someone said something, and well, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wasn’t able to run, could hardly walk, so I got dragged to the car. Ug, never again. Well, not that bad anyway! I guess I don’t like that feeling, and hate the day after. Reason enough for me!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Luckily, I wasn’t influenced much on peer pressure. I did try doing those things at one point but only because I was curious and did it only once. :) I was lucky enough that the private school I went to has a strong background on not tolerating peer pressures. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow. I just posted something like this on my Facebook. I didn’t ever give in to peer pressure. I never understood why anyone would. I like what control I have and I don’t like giving it to anyone else. I also though, obey the law. Not blindly in that “if they say it’s a law, it will always be so” way, but in the “it’s a law even if I don’t like it, so I’ll obey it” way.

I also have never tried drugs or even so much as a cigarette (so gross), and didn’t even have my first real drink until I was legal at 21. I went to tons of parties etc, and was surrounded by plenty of it, I just never wanted to do it. More often than not, I would be a designated driver to get people safely home.

I only recently did my first “dare” sort of thing (a couple of years ago) where someone said they’d pay me and another girl to dance on a bar. I sort of thought, “when else would I ever do this again in my life?” I’m just not usually that type of risk taker.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Me too…. always been stubbornly resistant to peer pressure, would rather be alone than do something I didn’t want to do just to be accepted….at times I was so stubborn about not breaking my own rule that I annoyed myself….but I just couldn’t do it…it was like my own kind of integrity….from a very young age….8 I think. I was terrified of drugs…I think I knew I had unusual brain chemistry and was scared of how things would effect me. Vodka makes me cry and gin makes my arms ache. Wine makes me dissociate. I ‘tried’ a little bit of marihuana when I was in my early 20’s, took 2 drags and the first one wasn’t even a proper one, I was paranoid for 2 whole days, couldn’t leave my apartment. It didn’t effect anyone else like that….just me, that was the one time I gave into peer pressure…but it was more like giving into my bf because he wanted me to try it.

I really hate the idea that I need to take medication for my ADD symptoms. I don’t like feeling like I ‘need’ anything if there is a chance I wont be able to get it…. I think its a control thing. I already feel so out of control of myself and my life…I really don’t need anything else to be out of control of.

My bf became my ex-boyfriend and went to jail for something, then he got addicted to heroin and moved into his parents basement.

Sorry, got a bit off topic….my meds have worn off. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)