Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Impatient with Dosing

Impatient with Dosing2013-06-25T18:21:44+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Ritalin Impatient with Dosing

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

seabassd

I find myself  impatient with dosing. It’s like I want to figure out what works and figure it out now! As soon as I get my script I start testing various doses, times, with meals, without, etc. Sometimes I’m like, “Aha, I Figured My Dosing Out!” and sometimes I’m like, “This Crap Doesn’t Work!”  It really gets frustrating and makes me want to give up on meds. For me I think the problem comes from not really knowing what to expect and also because I haven’t resolved my idealisms about taking meds. I’m conflicted,  part of me still doesn’t believe in meds and another part of me expects meds to do something amazing.

Has anyone experienced the same impatience and frustration with dosing?

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Victims of ADHD should be sent home with a box of pills.  You know like those boxes of chocolates that have all different kinds.  I like the coconut and almond clusters best . . . oh . . . oh . . . and the turtles.  Anyway with the pill sampler, you might be able to zero in on what works best more quickly.  😉

REPORT ABUSE

seabassd

Yes, exactly, that’s what I need, a pill sampler. And it needs to be given out by the psych at his office so I don’t get that slightly judgmental stare from the local pharmacist.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Seabassd, it can take a few weeks for your body to adjust to any changes in meds and/or dosing.  By changing things around on your own, you’re not giving your body a chance to adjust.

Worse, you may dismiss something as “not working”, when, in fact, if you gave it time, it would turn out to be the most effective med & dose for you.  So, you’d keep going through the trial-and-error process, when you didn’t need to!

You can spice-up the “boring” process between doctor’s appointments by keeping a daily “meds journal”.  That way, you can see how the med affects you (both good & bad ways) from day to day.  And you can see how it all adds up over a stretch of time, instead of just thinking about how the meds are making you feel on that one day.

It’s pretty cool to look at how far you’ve come!  Cool enough to keep you going, so you can see how far you’ve come in another week or two.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I know what you mean about the judgemental stare of the pharmacist. I don’t get that as much now  – on one occasion she was very stressed and couldn’t cope with several people asking her stuff whilst she was checking my pills so she was quite snappy with the other people. I offered her a Ritalin and said it works wonders for emotional regulation and focus; she politely declined my offer and has been less judgemental since.

When it’s a different pharmacist I amuse myself by behaving like a bit of a harmless nutter and it’s great fun watching them being very polite. I suppose it’s that immature streak that we are meant to have that pops out sometimes.

REPORT ABUSE

seabassd

You guys are really making this whole process so much easier for me.

It’s been a good day today.

Thanks,

Damon

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)