Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Internet vs. Clock: Round 20,345 — Tips??

Internet vs. Clock: Round 20,345 — Tips??2013-08-30T11:41:59+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Strategies for Work Internet vs. Clock: Round 20,345 — Tips??

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

blackdog

@meltruett

Sorry for the delay, I didn’t see your comment until now for some reason.

Your welcome. I hope it is helping you. I first learned about it from a friend who has ADHD, before I was officially diagnosed. It helps me a little, when I can get started in the first place. That is the biggest challenge for me. Once I start I usually build up enough momentum to keep going, as long as I don’t stop or encounter too many distractions, interruptions and frustrations along the way. But breaking the larger task into smaller chunks definitely helps because then it becomes less overwhelming and you don’t feel so much like you have to “force” yourself, which never works that well.  Plus, it kind of turns it into a little game- how much can you get done in 10 minutes? I was surprised at what I was really able to accomplish in such a short time.

REPORT ABUSE

dithl
    Participant

@Franklin, I like your ideas, removing control so much as to give somebody else the password. Thanks! (I forgot I had started this thread!)

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@Franklin

“It really isn’t important to Google that interesting thing that just came up in conversation”

Oh yes it is. If I don’t Google it it will just sit there in my brain taking space until I do.

I don’t think I have ever actually done it during a conversation. I actually rarely use my smart phone. It’s too slow and I don’t have the patience. Also, I forget to plug it in to recharge. But I have missed whole movies and TV shows because something interesting came up in them and I Googled it on the iPad. And Wikipedia articles always have all those links to other articles…..

And yesterday I just had to look up owls. It was very important. We saw one in the backyard the day before and I had to identify it. Which took about 5 minutes, plus an hour of looking at random pictures and reading about owls in general.

Those are some great tips though, really. And it is important to remember that 5 minutes later it will be ok. It’s just that first 5 minutes after turning it off that is so painful it feels like you’re going to die if you don’t turn it back on. 🙂

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)