Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Interviewing for a job next week

Interviewing for a job next week2011-03-11T15:15:46+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Who to Tell? Interviewing for a job next week

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

The work would be great, but the pay is below average and I’d have a 2-hour commute (assuming I can’t work out a deal with them).

I’ve got several questions. First of all, what should I do if HR asks about disabilities? I’d rather not discuss my ADHD until I know I’ve been hired.

Also, the job search and interviewing process is all about “selling yourself.” And most of that advice I’ve seen is to somehow convince these people I’m someone I’m not. So no matter what job the employers are looking to fill, they always hire the best salesman.

So I’m a little concerned about this and even if I should be wasting my time. Any thoughts?

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Having had LOTS of experience with interviews. I can’t seem to hang on to a job longer than 6mo to a year. And I am over 50 now. I can’t tell from your profile if you are in Canada or the US, so I will speak to the US.

HR will not ask you your religion, disability status, sexual preference, or any thing that will place you in a group with protected status under the EEO act. They will ask you where you worked, and for how long. They may ask you why you left your last job. Since I am a contractor, the answer is simple: Contract ended. You need to be prepared for that question and NEVER bad mouth ANY former employer.

HR wants to be sure you can do the job and you can fit into the company culture. They can only ask your previous employers when you worked with them and how much you earned. Anything more can earn them a law suit.

As far as ADHD goes, my co-workers have pretty much figured it out. HR still has no clue, and I think I’d prefer it that way.

In the interview, stick to what you know, how great a job you can do for them, and you will be just fine. If you don’t know the answer to a question, ask them to explain a little. Sometimes they may even give you the answer, or let you talk about something very similar you have done in the past. Remember: they want to talk to you. They want to hire you. All you have to do is give them the opportunity.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)