Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Is it just me… Weird phobias.

Is it just me… Weird phobias.2012-10-30T23:43:30+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Is it just me… Weird phobias.

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Carrie

There isnt really a heading for anxiety, unless you group it with fears… Ah well. I want to know more so if im the only nut out there with these fears….

I won’t cross the road at a busy intersection. I HATE the fact that I have to stop highway traffic to cross. Im not scared of being hit, im scared of all the watching eyes. I’ve thought about it, and its just plain silly. Who cares if they watch me cross the road? Who cares if its someone I know or dont know? I just can’t do it!

I HATE WALMART! I don’t mind the store I CANT stand the line ups. I feel so trapped and start to get hot and panic. I dont go to Walmart unless its really late at night or really early in the morning.

Grocery shopping. I try to avoid it. I usually go to the super store… As I said before I HATE line ups. I HATE people blocking my way. I have a very specific routine I follow going through the store. I have a very specific way I load food onto the belt and my husband bags them because I cant. I panic. I dont know how to organize and I feel so stressed knowing someone is waiting behind me and then I have to try and pay at the same time while trying to get out of the way!! NOOOO THANKS!

I can’t go in a public bathroom if someone I don’t know is there for the fear they might hear me go. I have no problem hearing them and I could care less about them in that sense. One time I had to go so bad, I got in the bathroom was relieved to see no one in there… I just sat and someone walked in. I couldnt go for the life of me. I tried to relax, I tried not to think about it… just couldnt do it. Almost soiled myself… could hardly walk when I got through my own door. If I have a family with me I have them turn the tap on or guard the door so no one can come in hahahahaha In college I wouldnt drink so I wouldnt have to use the bathroom.

When sitting in a room full of people, a dining room, restaurant I HAVE to sit in the chair by the wall and so I dont have my back to anyone. I need to see the entire room. I dont like people behind my back and I wont sit at a table in the middle of the room.

Im still terrified of going to my kids school for the fear someone might talk to me.

Meanwhile I LOVE meeting new people and LOVE social events… I do get very nervous but once there im ok depending on the situation and my mood I guess. Ah well eh!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Don’t worry about the drivers watching you as you cross the street. Worry more about walking along a busy street for half an hour, with a 5-foot-long “tail” of toilet paper sticking out the back of your pants. (Been there, done that, laughed like an idiot when it was pointed out to me.)

I don’t worry about people hearing me going when I’m in a public washroom. What worries me, is that when I make a rude noise in there, I will try to stifle my inevitable giggles, but it won’t work. Rude noises are to be expected in a public washroom. Insane giggles from the person who made them, are not!

In restaurants, my brother always insists on sitting with his back to the wall, and facing the door. It’s not a phobia. It’s his self-defence training. You can’t defend yourself, if you don’t see the danger coming. And all those little kids running around are pretty dangerous!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My 6 year old won’t go to the bathroom at school. Its been almost 2 months and he’s gone maybe a handful of times. He says its because its not fun (which I assumed meant boring), but he does have anxiety so maybe I should explore that.

I have lots of little quirks. I too, have a definite order to loading the grocery belt. I even have an order to shopping (dry goods, bakery, produce, dairy, deli, butcher, freezer), and if I miss something, 60% of the time I won’t go back to get it. And I have also directed the bagger/cashier how to bag my groceries, even though I’ve loaded them on the belt in rhe proper order, they seem to grab them randomly (it drives me nuts). Though I too hate bagging it myself, it just takes too long.

Also you should see me pick out produce. It gets sooo over examined, I probably spend at least half of my time in produce.

If I gotta go I gotta go, but if I do anything gross while someone else is in there I listen to hear where they’re at and either wait till they’re gone or rush out so they won’t see me.

I get panic in elevators. I used to walk up 8 flights at my grandmothers. My brother lives on the 38th floor so I can’t do much about that so I hold the bar and lean against the wall and focus on my breathing trying to stay concious. I won’t go on an airplane because if I can’t handle a 2 minute elevator ride what will happen on a 2 hour flight.

I can’t load the dishwasher if the sink is full of dirty dishes. I’ll leave it for my husband (which is insane because I’m home with the kids).

One definition I read of agoraphobia was avoidance of spaces or situations for fear of panic attacks.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

allan wallace

Hmmm, lots of weird phobias…

I loathe shopping with a passion. I detest waiting in long queues, and I cannot bear being surrounded by a seething mass of people. I don’t really know what a ‘panic attack’ is but maybe I had one. It was a xmas eve, and I had gone to a supermarket with my kids to get some supplies for a xmas lunch etc. Before I’d even filled the trolley I was becoming increasingly flustered, but when I lined up with the other trolleys I could scarcely breathe, my face was bright red through anger and frustration, and I started grumbling aloud about woolly headed stampedes etc. After a few minutes I just rasped a loud ‘fuck this, let’s get out of this rancid hell’ to my kids, and the trolley was abandoned as I almost ran for fresh air outside….

I avoid public loos, and swimming pools. The thought of swimming in other people’s urine holds nil appeal. I don’t like being near creepy leering men in speedo trunks either, particularly bald, fat hairy backed ones. I don’t like crowds, can’t stand traffic jams, and I don’t like going to restaurants. I don’t like waiting for a meal, and I don’t like masticating upon morsels in front of complete strangers either, nor do I relish being near enough to other diners that I might be inflicted with their banalities…

Spiders. Sheesh, where do I start? These creatures are horror movies. I was worse as a kid, even if a harmless daddy long legs was in a room, that was enough to keep me from entering said room. I would rather call Mike Tyson a chickenshit wimpy nigger to his face than pick up a daddy long legs…most insects scare me. Cockroaches make my stomach turn. Moths scare me. Stick Insects are grotesque assemblies of vile atoms. In fact, the only insects that I’m very fond of are butterflies and ladybird’s. To the bewilderment of some spectators I ran the risk of being charged with ‘attempted escape’ when I rescued a ladybird from drowning once when I was briefly ‘banged up’ in the early 90’s….when I gently blew upon her as she lay lifeless in my fingertips the exhiliration that I felt as she began to stir reduced me to tears! She survived!

I have a terror of needles as well. It takes a lot of dtermination for me to sit quietly whenever I need a blood test, or get a jab. Under no circumstances will I watch the needle pierce my skin, and I cannot watch those revolting medical shows which show even minor operations. Heck, I couldn’t even watch my kids being born. I’d rather not even think about that stuff, never mind bloody well watch it! I reckon that I’d run the risk of drowning in my own vomit after I’d fainted….’water’s broke’? ‘What the hell does that mean?’ I’d be thinking as the blood drained my face….no thanks, I’d rather remain blissfully ignorant. As for the opposite, Ye Gods. One time in the mid 90’s I went as far as going to a Funeral Parlour for a job interview. The Lady that owned the parlour and I had flirted whilst conversing a few times, and we’d struck up some kind of rapport. She’d told me that I’d be a terrific asset to her company and that she’d like to formally interview me etc. and to show me around….I turned up on the appointed day and was enjoying the flirting, but then she began to un-nerve me. I told her that I hadn’t ever seen a dead person before, but that I had uncles in Scotland that were undertakers, and they’d told me that one just has to do what one has to do, and that it was a rewarding career….then she opened the door to a ‘cold room’ and she paused. I only saw the end of a stainless steel trolley and I froze. She saw that hesitation, and decided not to take me into the room, something for which I’ll be eternally grateful, for I’m sure that my curiosity would have made me have just a quick peep, whereupon I would undoubtedly have fainted on the spot, and perhaps hit my head on something steel and perhaps ended up on a trolley next to the lifeless form that had caused my collapse! I got the hell out of there and apologised for wasting her time….

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Larynxa – Yeah, thats why I like to sit with my back to everyone too! Im more a fighter than a runner. hahahahaha I find it hard not to laugh as well when people make those sounds!

oh oh oh!! Distracted mom! I TOO HATE putting my hands in dirty dish water! I wont touch dirty dishes either. I will unload the dishwasher but I cant load it.

KC – Hilarious video! Reminds me of another paranoia of mine… that there are cameras in the bathroom. I check vents and screws and in the toilet for things that may look suspicious hahahahahahahaha

Allan – I can give needles no problem but I can’t watch myself get one. I still remember when I was a nursing student and I gave my first needle. My teachers feedback was “Your “dart” action was a little too “darty”” hahahahahaha I wont forget that!

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I used to be afraid of spiders. Then one time I kept a black widow in a jar. I threw a horsefly in with her, Joanne, and she went for the kill. First, she threw liquid silk on the unfortunate until it was bound up like wrapped in cellophane. Then she injected her venom at various sites on the fly’s soon to be corpse.

After a short rest in the corner of her rickety web, she returned to her kill to suck out the juices. Finally, like a cat, she went off and groomed herself by running her long black legs past her mouth and slicking down her shiny black abdomen. Supremely entertaining!

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Ugh, watching a psychopathic spider commit homicide in a jar is not something that appeals to me 😯 *shudder*

Another thing that I have a bit of a phobia about is filling out forms! I get myself rather vexed when combatting the brandisher of a clipboard! For example, given my terror of needles I decided to go and donate some blood. Apparently there was a critical shortage or something, anyway, I wandered in and said that I’d talked myself into donating blood right now, and I as I had a terror of needles they’d better just bloody well get the vampires out and take it whilst I was ready! The intrepid bore with her bulging clipboard wouldn’t listen to reason, and insisted on boring me with her spiel about procedures and forms and blah blah bloody blah! We argued for about 10 minutes and I just pissed off! What if some poor sod or two died because they had no A+ blood? I’d only recently discovered my blood group, and was quite excited about sharing my newly discovered fact! I feel a migraine coming on the moment that I’m assaulted with a handful of forms! I want to roll them into a phallic shape and stick them up the rectal passage of the bore assaulting me…

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Oh, I don’t like using dishwashers either. I’d rather do them in the sink, and I tend to be a bit ritualistic about the way that I do them. I like to set the dirty dishes up in a particular order, and I have a ‘system’. I like to stack them a certain way as well…recently my wife and I have arrived at a bit of a compromise. I’ve started to stack them the way that she likes, because it was something that we’d had blazing rows over in the past, and I just got worn down by years of nagging. I still believe that my way is better, but to have one less source of conflict seemed the more sensible choice to make. I dislike washing cutlery or pots though, and will often leave them in the sink…when confronted I revert to my defense of ‘something else needed to be sorted out’, but that is not accepted by The Prosecution anymore…seriously, I reckon that disposable plates and cutlery would make life so much easier, but she won’t listen to sound logic!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

KC! I do that all the time too! We had a black widow on our doorstep. It was sooooo cute! Beautiful spiders they are! But then my son squished her :( Sad day. As a kid I would always catch grasshoppers and throw them in spiders webs and watch the spider come down, wrap it up and haul it away! There was a girl I couldnt stand when I was a kid… I was a tom boy she was a priss…. She was rude to me so I would catch spiders, throw them on her, make her cry, and walk away smug. heh. Its also fun to put two different spiders into a jar and see who wins… Is that any better than dog or cock fighting? hahahahahahaha

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

For a good time put a jumping spider in a jar full of flies. They are amazing. Sort of like 007 dispatching a bunch of bad guys.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

8OUggggh, dirty dish water. Giving me the heebie geebies

I had a panic attack last night. It actually started with physical symptoms, then the thoughts came.

I haven’t had a panic attack in a long time. I blame my kids’ halloween candy I gorged myself on a couple of hours before. Had a yogurt and felt better (feel totally hungover today).

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Allan, thanks for reminding me, I’ve been meaning to donate blood… For about 15 years, lol.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Phone calls! I have to make an appointment with my kids paediatrician to get forms filled in for carers benefits (to help pay for their medication etc) but I just cannot bring myself to make the call to book it. If I leave it too much longer then I’ll have to start the process all over again 😥

And cockroaches! And parties with loads of people I don’t know :P

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Yes!! Phone calls and paper work! ugh!

KC! I HATE JUMPING SPIDERS the ONLY spiders that creep me waaaaaaaaay out… ewwwwww. they watch you!! They literally follow your movement! And how they leap! WOW! They are creepy! I dont even like to look at your avatar! ewwwwwwww terrible! hahahaha

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)