Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Is it just me?

Is it just me?2009-11-30T23:42:01+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is it just me or are tools and treatments and all the stuff about ‘beating’ your ADHD not really worth looking at until you’ve allowed yourself to go through some of the emotional ups and downs? I can see it might be good to immediately start trying out tools and getting treatment, but when you see how quickly some areas of life get handled, especially with medication, it’s so disheartening to realize you could have avoided all that struggle if you’d known, that you almost don’t want to deal with it. Or is that just me?

REPORT ABUSE

purlgurl

Hey Ava – I can see where you’re coming from. On the other hand, why spend *even more* time not at your best/have it take even longer to find meds/therapy/etc. that works for you? Do you think that you might have some real anxiety about change? (i.e. “My life is crummy, but at least I know what’s what.”)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Meds stabilize our brain

and after we use it the best we can to take control of our life

REPORT ABUSE

Mike

And in the documentary ADD & Loving It, it was Doctor Kurtz who said the idea is to use the medication as ‘training wheels,’ which you put on a bike to help until you don’t need them. The hard part for me is that with the medication things get easier, clearer, I can do what I need to do, but I don’t feel motivated enough to do the other stuff, like Yoga or meditation or whatever to retain my brain. And I don’t want to take medication for the rest of my life. For one thing, it’s expensive.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found meditation, yoga and like minded things way to slloooowwwwwwwww and difficult to stick with… not enough patients… HOWEVER I did find that there were active and engaging alternatives.

My favorite is known as ‘poi’. below is a random YouTube clip as an example (most people don’t use fire, but it’s a far more exciting example then someone spinning tennis balls in an old pair of socks!).

The combination of movement, exercise, flexibility and focus take all of the things I enjoy about martial arts, meditation and good old escapism and combine them, into a evolving challenging but rewarding hobby.

I spin during study breaks and whenever I need to just relax… like a moving meditation… anyways… I’ve found it very helpful.

Maybe something like this would help you out?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)