Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Is there a good alternative II heard AddieUP was a good one

Is there a good alternative II heard AddieUP was a good one2012-03-01T04:19:47+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Is there a good alternative II heard AddieUP was a good one

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

@PaulF, I was most interested in what you wrote — I like Dr.J ‘s video’s, he seems to know adhd —

That remark says a lot about you and your credibility.. IMO…

Anyhow, from what I’ve read on FaceBook on AddieUP; 3 key ingredient Yerba mate, Coffee bean, Guarana berry, Ginko flower, are all based on the caffeine effect …

I been having some difficulties finding Dr. Michael Baker credentials..All emails pertaining to Dr. Baker are from gmail..

Furthermore, there are no significant studies, U.S., Canada, or abroad, about AddieUP…

On this web link there is no mention that AddieUP is intended for ADD/ADHD tryaddieup / distributors

The way these sites from AddieUP are coded is to make a profit and give as little information about the product/ ingredient as possible…….. addieup / affiliates……..

It also appears lizle emedia creator of the AddieUP website is also a distributor………..

The main objective of AddieUP is to make a profit…There is no conclusive data that AddieUP helps anyone but to make money…

It’s plight to see some use gimmicks to profit from the Adder, they use the lack of enough prescribed medication available to conclude their brand is better and why wait……

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Heard about this one called AddieUP being really good for an alternative, I have tried nootropics but they alone don’t seem to do much. This one has 4 stimulants and nootropics. Buddy says they are great. Adderall just wears me out, not to mention the pharmacy hassles. Thanks..

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Paul I tried a few things including addieup and it was decent. One was noticeable but taking two really locked me in for about four hours, really clean nice feeling without jitters.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

I checked out the ingredients – several, I’ve heard don’t help. Dr. J said he was wary of nootropics. I think these ingredients have not been scientifically tested, so – they may or may not be helpful. Just my take on it – best to have a psychiatrist guide you if possible.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Munchkin, I find it suspicious that both of these posters joined the site within 48 hours and the only thing they seem to have to speak about is in this thread. I would be very wary of any product that uses such deceptive marketing tactics.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

You never know – the first person tagged the post “snake oil,” so maybe they really were just coming on here to get an opinion. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt unless I learn otherwise. They at least took the time to write a legitimate post asking a question to the group – where’s the harm?

I feel for anyone if they are unable to use one of the first line drugs for financial reasons, side effects or other reasons. I guess at that point you might be in a position to try some of these kinds of supplements – if you had run out of all other options.

Suspicious or not, I think it’s healthy to discuss why we would or wouldn’t use the product – could help someone avoid wasting their money.

I checked out the website, and wasn’t impressed. There wasn’t anything on there about clinical trials or endorsements from any legitimate professionals… so if they were here to sell the product, they came to the wrong place – I’ll go out and say it – I wouldn’t personally try it because I don’t like to experiment on my poor brain with unproven substances. That’s just my own personal feeling – as a lay person.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I added the tag, for which I apologize. Sorry, I’ve been approached by so many scammers (those that want to take my money, those that want to take over my computer) in the last 3 days that I am a little more cautious than usual. My search came up with many very nearly identical posts on other ADHD forums, indicating to me some sort of a “whisper campaign.” There were other claims for the product which made me suspect that it might be dangerous in the long run (indicating that it could be used as a “study aid” or even for “recreational purposes”). Like you, I’d like to see some verification from an independent source. So far, the only information about this product come from the creator and whomever is plastering the boards with this message of theirs.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Oh wow – other boards too. That does seem a bit annoying. Well – I have to say, if you try to sell a questionable product on a board with smart people, I think you’ll find that they just shoot holes in the gimmick. It might do more harm than good to your sales.

If it’s good, they probably don’t need a “whisper campaign” becuase we would already be talking about it here. Silly marketers!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There was a link about this board on another board, what the heck are you talking about? Not very nice way to welcome your new guest? I like Dr.J ‘s video’s, he seems to know adhd, bit if this is typical treatment to “new members” or people looking for natural alternatives to adderall”I will go elsewhere, I am not content to stay hooked on dangerous prescription meds, maybe drug company salesman? There are other boards like that also, if you ask about trying to get off the prescription meds you get ridiculed Even if you are pro-drugs, you could let someone ask a question without insulting them, thank you.

I can’t stand adderall anymore and I want a natural solution., I have been prescribed ritalin, strattera, concerta, etc. as well as adderall. My brain and body are telling me, “no more”.How long have you been taking adhd meds? You want to stay on them forever? I don’t.

Has krill oil helped anyone? That was my other question.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The posts I’ve found elsewhere are:

“I heard that this was a good natural substitute for Adderall, anyone tried it? Thanks!”, “Stumbled upon this stuff while reading about the shortages of ADHD drugs:..”, “I found a natural substitute called AddieUP and they work great they are natural and you can get them online…”, “Have you heard of AddieUP, it is great and natural has 4 stimulants and nootropics. We will be glad to send you samples thanks!”,

And now some responses (these are not my words, but the responses of posters to the above statements):

“Absolutely not!!!! Adderal ( dextroamphetamine) is a prescription only heavily controlled drug. AddieUp is a bunch of caffeinated herbs with no approval, clinical trials (not studies), and may even contain some controlled substance. Obviously a play on the Adderall name. Nothing more than coffee.”

“Addieup is rubbish.”

“Wow, is this an ad for medication? I googled your product, and the only pages I could find for it were on facebook and youtube, and you have to like the facebook page in order to see it. Personally, that sets off some alarm bells for me.”

So you can see why someone like me would be suspicious of the seeming flurry of “have you tried AddieUp” posts that are flooding the internet. Even if you are not one of those paid to sing the praises of this miracle cure, you have to admit that you sound just like them.

But since you asked – there’s your answer. If you are experiencing problems with your medication, talk to you doctor, even if it’s to say, “sorry, no more meds for me.” The proper treatment for ADHD includes many things, not just medication. I implore you to see your doctor and not waste time and money on unproven stuff like this.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

To Game guy,

Do you know what it says on my adderall warning letters that came with my prescription the last time I filled it? Something like this.

“Do not take this medication if you are under the age of 3.” If you are pregnant, please be advised that your baby may be born with a lowered birth weight, and also final birth height.” Additionally, your baby may be born addicted to the medication.”

You endorse this, but give dire warnings about natural supplements and fish oil, etc?

I had not taken adderall in a while and I felt like my heart was coming out of my chest, I was very anxious, and I had that zombie feeling. I just have had enough.

Also I want to know, does anyone’s doctor ever give them a “exit strategy” when it comes to adderall? You told me to talk to my doctor, if I tell her this, she really has no more use for me. Her job is to dispense medication, we have a 15 minute talk and it is $140. That’s another reason why I am trying to find something natural to help me.

When did your doctor tell you to quit taking your meds? Oh, you never had that conversation, huh? That’s my point, there is no exit strategy because if they think it is ok to have a 3 year old on Adderall then they certainly wouldn’t have a problem with a 70 year old on adderall.

I went over to the biggest forum of them all the add forum, and there was a woman who was bitterly complaining that the people on the board were so pro-drug that she felt like she was never warned about the dangers of the drug. She basically said it ruined her life.

You can bash natural supplements all you want, it seems to be a pattern with those that may be addicted and are defensive about questions raised.

I am going to try AddieUP, and if it works as well as the people on facebook says, then I will be back. You can trash the little guy, it makes me think you work for man, and may have addiction issues or a financial interest in protecting the drug companies. THEY can afford to pay people like you, I doubt a little supplement company can afford to pay for people to go around the internet like you say with your conspiracy theories.

Regarding paid spokesman….This happened about 12 years ago when many members of CHADD forums were shocked and outraged to find out that the people in the forums, moderators, etc were actually paid spokesmen for the drug companies and were there to get more people on the drugs. Were you around for that?

I just read their facebook pages, it does not look like a conspiracy theory, Addie UP just looks to be a small company that has an alternative to market. I scrolled thru and saw several people with pictures of themselves and I am waiting to hear back from a couple who really have good things to say, the mother of three in particular. I am also getting samples, I could not find any negative reviews on anyone who used the product, just people like you who seem to be so pro- drug….I like supporting the “little guy” and I am not closed minded.

There are no LONG TERM studies on adderall, btw. Are you going to be taking it into your 70-80’s? Have you thought about an exit strategy? I bet your doctor hasn’t, he or she keeps wanting you to come back again and again, and I think the drug companies want the same thing.

Also wanted to ask anyone if neuro-feedback had worked for anyone? Thanks in advance.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

What is your beef with Adderall that you automatically assume that everyone is defending it? I do not take Adderall and my time remaining on this Earth is not as long as you presume.

Let me reiterate. A person seeking treatment for ADHD or any other medical condition should do so with the guidance of a medical professional – not based on somebody’s say-so on the internet. Everyone is different and what works for one person does not necessarily work for another. There are a lot of medications that have been proven effective for ADHD. I’ve had more than a few prescribed for me and more than a few of the ones we initially tried did not work for me. Some people do not respond at all to any medications. Nevertheless, it is only with a doctor’s supervision can one make informed decisions about their own health care.

That being said, there is no miracle pill or treatment that compensates for the biological condition at the root of ADHD. The medical treatment being used now has been used successfully for several decades now. Even so, treatment requires a combination of techniques, including therapy to best learn how to overcome one’s own deficiencies. It’s like wearing glasses. I do not always need to wear glasses, but when I do wear them, it makes it a little easier for me to see things that I had difficulty seeing before. But while glasses help improve my vision, they did not help me understand how to read. I had to learn to do that on my own. And by the same token, every person with ADHD must learn on their own how best to adapt to life among people who process information differently than they do.

You have made your decision. I know I responded with suspicion to your post as I have recently been exposed to a lot of suspicious things coming over the internet which had been proven to be deceitful. I cannot say if the product you are referring to is legitimate or not, but there is a dearth of independent information regarding it’s efficacy. Would you buy a car based only on the say-so of the stranger selling it to you? It’s your body and it is clear you care a lot about how you treat it – do not be so quick to consume something that has not been independently tested. I have done my best to help you make an informed decision, just as I hope to help others make informed decisions about what substances to put in their bodies.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Hi PaulF – Out of curiosity – how long have you been diagnosed? I’ve only just been diagnosed about 7 months ago, and am still learning about the possible treatments, but Concerta is helping me a lot. I think there are a wide variety of people on this forum, some who are doing well on prescription stimulant medications, others who couldn’t deal with the side effects and are on a journey to find other solutions.

With Concerta, I do experience some side effects, but the “side effects” of not being on meds are so much more dire. Since I’m not pregnant or under the age of 3, I’m hoping the warnings and side effects can be tolerated. It’s a whole lot better than dying in a car wreck or having my husband walk out for good.

From what I’ve read, the Methylphenidate products (like Concerta) and the Dextroamphetamines (like Adderal) have been used for many decades and their long term effects are very well known and studied. As for an exit strategy, I’ve never heard of major problems going off these meds – but I’m sorry to hear if that has happened to you.

Still – we are all unique, and what is a good solution for one person may not be for someone else, and I wouldn’t judge them for that. I wouldn’t doubt that some of these over the counter stimulants could have some small benefit – which would be better than nothing if prescription drugs aren’t your thing.

From what I’ve read from other people on this site – it seems like there are people who are using diet and excercise, as well as omega 3’s (like krill oil) as part of their strategy. I would suggest investing some time in viewing the videos, webinars and blogs on this site. They were carefully put together by the creators of this site and reviewed by professionals.

This forum is fine for discussion and support, but there are large gaps in our knowledge, and a lot of us are newbie’s to this diagnosis. We are just lay people dealing with ADHD and muddling through our own unique situations the best we can.

If you would like to share your story, I welcome you – get to know us better, we don’t bite (too hard). The forum is here as a community more than a resource for answering specific drug questions. If you’re looking for fellowship, humour and acknowlegment that this is a real condition and not some made up excuse to be lazy, you’ve found the right place.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know this post was 3 months ago, but there still doesn’t seem to be any good, objective information on this product. Has anyone tried AddieUp yet that can report on it?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

So here’s my two cents on all this. First off I have just recently been diagnosed with ADHD (about 2-3 months ago). Also I am currently in nursing school studying to be an RN.

As far as addieup is concerned, I haven’t tried it and as others have pointed out, there doesn’t seem to be any independent info on the product out there. I can say though that people should be careful with herbal products, regardless of if they are alternatives to ADHD meds or any other use. Because herbal products are listed as dietary supplements in the US they are not strictly regulated, their claims don’t have to be approved (and aren’t), and they don’t go through any kind of rigorous screening/trial process like the traditional prescription pharmaceuticals. This is not to say that herbals are necessarily dangerous or don’t work, but both of these possibilities are more likely with herbals than with FDA approved drugs. Also, people often make the mistake of assuming herbals are better because they are “natural” alternatives. Unfortunately this is a very successful marketing ploy. Just because a substance is natural does not mean it is safe. In fact, nature is full of many natural substances that can harm and even kill you. Furthermore, because herbal products are not regulated by the FDA you often have problems with consistency of the product because the production process is not standardized. Another pervasive problem with the herbal supplements are the other ingredients that find their way into them. Things that have been known to cause adverse health effects yet are still found in numerous products, sometimes as secondary or even unintentional ingredients, sometimes as the main herb they are suggesting you take. Just a few examples would include aconite, bitter orange, chaparral, colloidal silver, coltsfoot, comfrey, country mallow, germanium, greater celandine, kava, lobelia, and yohimbe. These are a dozen listed in a consumer reports story that have been independently linked to serious adverse effects and are yet found in numerous herbal supplements. Of the more than 54,000 dietary supplement products in the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database, close to 12 percent have been linked to safety concerns or problems with product quality. Many raw ingredients used in herbal supplements are supplied by China, well known for having poor controls and exporting contaminated products.

For instance, Hoodia is a current popular herbal appetite suppressant but the demand far outstrips the supply. In fact, the amount of hoodia sold in the US alone is far above the production capacity of the region where hoodia is grown. As a result there are many suppliers out there producing product they label and sell as Hoodia that independent testing laboratories have shown to either contain a fraction of the hoodia claimed or to contain no hoodia at all.

Also, St. John’s Wort is another example. It has been widely shown to be a natural alternative to prescription anti-depressant medication. Unfortunately, again, because they are not tightly regulated, the amount of St. John’s wort can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, even if they claim to contain the same amount of the herb. In fact, studies have shown that the amount of herb contained in any individual pill from the same bottle can contain significantly different levels of the herb. Obviously this can lead to issues for something like an antidepressant which has to be built up in the system over weeks or even months not to mention the possible side effects of unintentional overdosing.

All of that being said, I’m not saying herbs are not a viable alternative in some cases, just make sure you know what you’re getting into. If you’re concerned about taking Adderall because of it’s lack of long-term clinical studies, why would you want to take an herbal supplement that doesn’t even have short-term clinical studies? That’s my ultimate concern for these herbal products. People take them as a safer alternative but there is no proof that they are safer, in fact, there is no proof that they even work. If they do work, there certainly isn’t any evidence of what type of effects they might have on the body short or long term. They’re not safer, just less studied/scrutinized.

As for the references to “dangerous prescription meds”, addictive, etc. Because of all the reasons listed above, prescription drugs tend to be far less dangerous than an herbal supplement can be. Obviously there have been several prescription meds that have later been pulled off the market due to significant health problems but that is the exception rather than the rule and herbal products have had their fair share of the same problem despite their “natural” origins. Also, although it’s not usually discussed much, most of the drugs that get pulled from the market have been prescribed millions of times prior to being pulled but the actual number of serious incidences that resulted in its removal tends to be very low, sometimes in the single digits, sometimes in the low double digits, rarely into the hundreds. If that serious effect is death, it rarely gets into the double digits before the drug is pulled. That’s out of millions of scripts and tens of millions if not hundreds of millions of pills taken. The well-known herbal weight loss ingredient ephedra is an example. It had to be linked to 155 deaths and thousands of additional adverse effects before the FDA was able to amass enough evidence to ban the product from the market. Although there are many other herbal products out there with known adverse effects, unless they rise to the level of ephedra, the FDA had decided it is cheaper and easier to just requre warning labels on the product, and even that requirement is sometimes disregarded.

All of the information I’ve done over the last couple months tells me a few things. First off the stimulant medications prescribed for ADHD have not shown to be addictive, habit forming, dependence building, or tolerance building as long as they are used as prescribed and at the dosages currently prescribed.

As for your talk of an “exit strategy” for getting off the pills, it is quite common for the prescribing doc to periodically suggest a brief “medication vacation” to see if the stimulant is still necessary. As someone else mentioned, stimulant medication is only one part of ADHD treatment and some people find that once they get a handle on the condition and begin employing ADHD management techniques/strategies in their life, they no longer need the medicine. Others may need the medication while they complete their education but find that once they are in the workforce it is unnecessary. Others are able to change careers to one more suited to their natural abilities and where they don’t have to fight their ADHD so much. For some though (perhaps many or even most), yes it may be a lifelong or at least decades long, medication. If you don’t want to take a prescription med to to health concerns, cost concerns, etc., that’s fine, but an herbal medication probably isn’t any better. If it does work then it’s still a stimulant so what makes it better. Oh yeah, and from what I’ve seen the herbals are usually not cheaper than the prescription meds… at least not the ones that have been around a while and have generic options available. Plus, insurance will pay for prescription meds and defray the cost for many as well. I personally don’t have insurance right now but I was able to get my month’s supply of Ritalin for $4 at Wal-Mart and now that they’ve switched me to Adderall it is more expensive but my one month supply only cost $40… not much more (and sometimes less) than the unproven herbal alternative.

Furthermore on the “exit strategy” idea, I think it’s a good idea for anyone, on any medication, to do whatever possible to avoid taking that medication if possible. That just seems like common sense. Not taking an herbal INSTEAD of the prescription drug, but taking nothing. With ADHD this might be by learning how to manage their ADHD, using organization tools, strategies, etc. to be able to operate without an ADHD med. Same goes for a blood pressure med. If you have high blood pressure, hypertension (HTN), and are prescribed a med for it and that med gets your BP down to healthy levels, then that’s great. But long term, that person should be engaging in a diet and exercise program that may eventually eliminate the need for a HTN medication at all. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Again though, that being said, some people will still have HTN no matter what they do, and those people should still take their BP medicine. Are there side effects of the BP med? yes. Could they potentially be dangerous? Yes. So would an herbal supplement, but regardless, if they need the medicine to control their BP then they should take it because the potential health risks of not taking the pill outweigh the risks of taking it. ADHD is no different. If someone needs the medicine to function, then they should take it because the adverse effects of ADHD can be profound and can lead to their own health concerns (albeit mostly as secondary issues of the ADHD, not primary ones like HTN would).

As to the comments about the medication notice for Adderall, not giving it to a child under 3 (I hope you’re not planning on giving addieup to your 2 yo either), low birth weight, etc. It’s true there can be adverse effects of Adderall or any other prescription drug. In fact every subtance ever taken will have side effects for some percentage of the people taking it, some minor and some serious, guaranteed. That’s true of both herbals and prescription meds. Only difference is the Adderall people give you a nice little insert that tells you all the known possible effects and you and your doctor can then make an informed decision about taking it. The herbal supplements on the other hand, give you no such information. Not because there are no side effects (that would be impossible) but because the side effects are unknown and they wouldn’t be required to tell you even if they were. With the prescription meds, you can decide if the possible side effects outweigh the possible benefits. Emphasis on “possible” as many of the possible side effects are never experienced by any one user and in fact most will experience either no side effects or at most one or two which are often minor and many times resolve themselves after the medication is taken for a few weeks or months and the body adjusts. For those who do experience side effects, they can then make the decision to either discontinue the medication, adjust the dose or dosing schedule, or bear the effects as the benefit outweighs the effect. With an herbal, people may not even associate the side effect with the herbal supplement (often because they thought it was natural and therefore safe) and may therefore suffer needlessly.

All in all, why go for an unproven, possibly unsafe, possibly ineffective treatment option like an herbal supplement when their are proven medications that work and are safe. If you are someone who is opposed to medication in general, or stimulant medications specifically, or whatever, that’s fine but you’d be better off going without taking anything at that point that taking the shot on the herbal. If you are not opposed to medications and are just not getting the results you want from the prescription meds, then I would first make sure I had engaged my prescribing doctor in a thorough discussion of all my medication options (i.e. different meds, dosages, combos, etc.). Once all prescription options had been exhausted, then you could certainly give the herbal a try… just don’t expect the miracle cure from the herbal. Realize that herbals, instead of being safer, are often more dangerous than prescription drugs. Think about it, people point out the prescription meds (weight loss/appetite suppressant ones in particular) that have had adverse cardiac, kidney, etc. effects, and those meds went through a rigorous testing and approval procedure before being allowed onto the market. Now, do you think a less regulated, less tested, unproven and unverified product that goes to market is more or less likely to be dangerous to your health?

Me? I’ll stick with the prescription drugs if I’m going to take anything at all. :)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)