Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Is thoughts of death and suicide signs of ADD?

Is thoughts of death and suicide signs of ADD?2010-12-17T23:32:36+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Other Is thoughts of death and suicide signs of ADD?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is thoughts of death and suicide signs of ADD?

I used to have suicidal thoughts a while back. Now I wish I would just die, hoping I get hit by a tractor trailer on the way to work or a pallet of concrete falls on me. I also used to have like thoughts of doing injury to other people, just randomly. Am I going crazy?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

No you’re not. I have a bunch of thoughts running through my head too. Some of them violent. Some of them sexual. I act on neither of course. As for suicide it could be that you feel that you’re not getting what you want out of life because your adhd is impairing you and you’re not getting the services you need to overcome the downside. I’ve been there many times. You’re not alone dude. Sometimes the violent thoughts I have are not to people i necessarily hate or even know that well. it’s that part of the brain that is driving the impulsivity. so long as you don’t act on those violent impulses and get the ehlp you need you’ll be ok. it’s all about the synapses misfiring. that can be helped these days. ask dr j to see what help you can get.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

No, you are not going crazy. And no, suicidal thoughts are not part of the diagnostic criteria for adhd. The suicidal thoughts may be completely separate from the adhd. I would suggest talking to a professional about your thoughts especially if they are persistent. Sometimes depression is seen along with adhd and it may need to be addressed. But again, your not going crazy. Your human just like everyone else and one of the common afflictions of humanity is that we need help from time to time. Thanks for sharing this.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Product 2007,

If you are currently still experiencing thoughts of suicide please SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP!

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

yes- those are symptoms of depression. really severe depression.

getting beyond actively considering suicide, to wishing death would just happen to you- (that you’d vanish off the face of the earth, or have a plane fall out of the sky onto your head, in my case- i lived under an airport flight line!)- thats not exactly a step up. in many ways its a step down, from depression to apathy, cos you’ve stopped feeling *something* (all be it misery and despair) and fallen downhill into feeling nothing- or not enough to bother even trying any more. at least when you feel something, you’re still ‘feeling’- you’re still alive emotionally in some respect- but feeling nothing is like a flatline. :(

depression might not be a symptom of ADD, but it often goes alongside it- feeling like you’re mentally running into brick walls day in and day out can make a person feel really unhappy, and dopamine and seratonin and the other brain chemicals that affect impulse control, motivation, concentration, etc (ADHD stuff) also control feelings and emotions.

it might not feel like it right now, but this IS fixable. i’ve been there, and i’ve come back from it. you need to haul your arse to a medical professional and spill your guts about whats going on in your head- don’t beat around the bush or make them guess- tell them that you’re suicidal, and that you need help NOW, and keep saying that until you get the help you need.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

With me I was actually homeless walking the wrong way on a one way street at 2am watching traffic coming towards me at a distance somehow, for some reason I backed off. I repeat if you still feel suisidal please get PROFESSIONAL HELP! Jen is right, You are not experiencing ADD or ADHD you are dealing with major depression.

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This sounds like depression to me, too (not that I’m a Dr., but I’ve experienced it!) It could also be a thyroid problem. I once had trouble with the kind of thoughts you’ve described and it turned out to be my thyroid. You need to see someone. I started with my regular physician even though I was afraid I’d gone crazy and he would send me to an institution or something (obviously I wasn’t thinking straigt). I hadn’t gone crazy and he delt very well with me and the situation. Keep us all posted and good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

if everyone who went to the doctor with symptoms of depression ended up in the funny farm, we’d have a problem- cos the stats (depending on which you read, where you live, etc) say that as many as between 1 in 3 and 1 in 5 people experience depression at some point in their life- not ‘feeling sad’, but actual ‘depression’.

its very common- people just don’t talk about it, which is a huge shame- cos talking about it really helps. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I had a son, who had ADHD. I say I “had” a son, I mean that. He took his life due to depression and he suffered from ADHD. But he also suffered from bullies. So what did he die from symtoms of ADHD or depression due to being bullied because he was different.

After his funeral a brochure came in the mail that said that ADHD can cause depression. When this son would come to me and tell me he didn’t want to live, I asked him, “What was going on in school?” . He reluctantly told me he was flunking Math and Science as a Freshman at a mainstream high school. He was taunted by his teachers and students, think this was probably when the teacher would pass out papers or tests and his had a bad grade on his or probably didn’t turn it in.

Anyway, I went to the school and talked w/ the Vice Principal and he suggested he stop going to these classes since he can’t make it up, as it was late in the school year and suggested he go to an alternative high school the following year. I also took him to a Psychiatrist who put him on Adderall but he didn’t take it because he didn’t like the way it made him feel. 7 months later he took his life, not because he went to the Chartered High School where the teachers there were very kind and supportive, but because he chose to take an Auto Tech class at a Vo-Tech school and there were bullies there and the Vice Principal was the biggest bully that embarrassed and humiliated him in front of his peers.

So an Interning student to Marrage and Counseling told me that it was the bullying that caused him to commit suicide, not the ADHD. But did the ADHD cause him to be so different and was sensitive that made him an easy mark to bully?

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

I was bullyed when I was in school and all I can say is I am sorry for your lose. I hated it when I was young and undiognosed thinking if I could just quit school then things would be all right. I still never realy fit in and always tried to hang whith the older croud because I had a brother that tried to help me fit in . finaly no such luck. I have been so add over the years including friends . When socalizing and still not fitting in I end up at age 48 and few freinds ,thats ok I kind of like it that way already. I don’t undersand why all those things that I thought I left behind in my youth are coming back to hant me at this age. as if this is some strange form of midlife thing that I have no clue what it’s all about.

the one thing I can say is things when they build up people think and do crazy things. I know I found myself going to google and typing in the pros and cons of suiside. and the one argument that helped me was there is someone at least one person realy hurt by this. it made me think of my two boys stratiened out the thinking any way.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tigerlilie, i think that for me at least, everything intertwined so much that there was never one thing that caused everything to fall apart.

it can be hard to function with ADHD, and that in itself can be depressing. being bullied can be depressing as well, obviously. you can get bullied because you have ADHD or depression and those things deem you scornworthy in the eyes of your peers, or because they make you into an easy target who won’t fight back so much. because you’re depressed the bullying hurts more than it otherwise perhaps would, and its harder to shake it off- especially when you’re being mocked for something that you feel is also a defect or failing of yours….. and because you have ADHD your thoughts may feel even more unfocused, racing, intense and chaotic than they already do with depression, and your impulse control might well be even less functional- which can lead to doing things on the spur of the moment that you otherwise might not get beyond just contemplating.

tragically you’re never going to know what exactly was going through your sons mind at the time, and its quite possible that if you could ask him now, he wouldn’t be able to make too much sense of it either- depression makes simple straightforward things very warped and twisted in your mind, and ADHD can give you moments where thoughts and feelings rapidly turn into a big messy slippery ball of spaghetti in sauce thats moving at high speed off the table towards the floor. they’re a crappy combination, which, combined with unfairly crappy experiences and some very crappy people, create a big pile of … intense crapness.

i hope i’m not overstepping the mark here, but in the tactless and unsubtle, impulse-control- limited ADHD mind of jen i feel like i need to blurt this out in as sensitive way as i can manage- while i’m sure i can’t relate nearly 100% to whatever was going on for your son, i do know that at my absolute worst, most despairing moments, my desperate sincere hope was that no matter how things ended up, i wanted my mother to know that i loved her very very much- more than anything, and that i knew how much she loved me, and that i didn’t want her to have to even dream of questioning her parenting skills or doubt any choices that she made, even though everybody does those things- but to be able to try and remember me when i was at my happiest, with as much pure love in her heart as i felt for her.

i am sincerely sorry for the greif and loss you’ve been through, and for how things played out for both your son, and yourself. *hug*

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

I had for most of young adult life depression and those thoughts. I got help from therapists over the years. One day, it dawned on me it was a yo-yo effect(depression <-> anxiety) . All had to do was wait it out and it would go away. It’s that simple for me, maybe it’s that for others. Then I learned deep meditation to balance my ADD (extreme) emotions. I would/do spend about 20 mins and I would be back to normal(for me) whenever needed.

As for violent thoughts, I see it as part of ADD. Our emotional regulator is defective. Some people use physical things like hitting a bag, etc, as an outlet. Some use video games. I’v read that many people in prison have ADD. As long as you keep it in the game and out of the real world, you’ll be fine

If I have a bad day, I play violent video games to get the anger out my system: Crysis, The Witcher, Oblivion, F.E.A.R., Empire Earth. I’m totally different in game. Depending on the game, i’ll wipe out everything and leave nothing standing or alive and enjoy it. Afterward, my mind is clear and i’m more able to rationally deal with the real world. Also, I’v been playing these type games for about 30 years. I’m about as non-violent as you can find. :)

Just remember your wired differently. Most of us have Yo-Yo emotions. Know that whenever the thoughts come around. Also, I dealt with bullies myself, but i’m still here. Our emotions can overwhelm us, the spikes up and down. When your a teenager, it’s “i’m trapped and there is no way out.” However, as an adult with wisdom. You know it’s just temporary. When I was teenager, I learned specific deep meditation techniques to balance my emotional states.

Don’t blame yourself for not seeing it coming. My parents never knew about those thoughts in myself and they don’t to this day.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)