Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

It all makes sense now.

It all makes sense now.2011-09-21T02:27:47+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey My Story It all makes sense now.

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I havent been diagnosed yet. I will be speaking to my doctor soon about getting a diagnosis. But based on my entire history I’m very sure I will be diagnosed with ADD.

My earliest memories were of me walking home from school as a small child feeling that I’ve missed some thing. It was like I was in a movie and didn’t have a script. I knew I was different but couldn’t figure out why. My report cards are all over the place but what has always been consistent were the comments that I was bright but lacked focus, motivation or was daydreaming. For my parents I was lazy or not paying attention. I knew I was as smart as most of the kids in my class but why didn’t I know what the did? Why does my desk look like it had been vandalized, why could I never find the papers for my mom to sign.

Adult life is a little different. I still feel different but it’s not as obvious to everyone else. My marriage, raising children and working were difficult. I’ve never felt like I’ve fulfilled my potential. I’ve spent a great deal of energy just trying to get through life. The days seem too short.

I’m now raising 2 children on my own and my little guy has been diagnosed with ADHD and has just started meds. I knew before he was born he might be ADHD but tried to deny it until he was about 6. My goal is that he will feel like not only does he have the script but wrote the movie.

Realizing that I might have ADD gives me the opportunity to finally take steps to live the life I want to life rather than just getting through the day.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

welcome, to the neighborhood hope you enjoy the site. these people that put this together did a great job enjoy.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I’ve GOT to try hard to remember this line:

>>Why does my desk look like it had been vandalized<<

That’s classic.

And this I can TOTALLY relate to ->

>>Adult life is a little different. I still feel different but it’s not as obvious to everyone else. My marriage, raising children and working were difficult. I’ve never felt like I’ve fulfilled my potential. I’ve spent a great deal of energy just trying to get through life. The days seem too short.

<<

GET A FORMAL DIAGNOSIS. A family doctor can’t do a good job. A neural-psychologist can, and will rule out all the other stuff that can cause the same symptoms – including difficulties at birth, exposure to certain chemicals, etc. I went through a diagnosis – took an initial 90 minute intake followed by an hour interview, then referral to a neural-psychologist/PhD who spent 4 hours with me, and several hundred test questions in 4 different written tests, and a half dozen or so interview style tests. Unless they work that hard at it, it’s a guess and they’ve not ruled out other possibilities. I learned a TON of things then – including all the OTHER stuff that has symptoms almost exactly like ADHD, but that need different treatments.

In my case, I’m exhausted, but it is a solid formal diagnosis from multiple pros, there’s no doubt. All other possible caused have indeed been ruled out. I guess it’s as official as it gets.

Good luck, you have a good attitude, get it formal, then once the issue is solidly defined, you can make little changes, (which may include drugs) that will help you make the most of the rest of your life.

We’re almost all on the same bus here (i’d say boat, but I’m thinking we are more like on that bus in the one Harry Potter movie)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)