Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

It's a family thing…

It's a family thing…2011-09-01T01:20:14+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! My Story It's a family thing…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, lets start again. (I accidently deleted my first post)

I went through years of misdiagnosis, most of the time MD’s tried to treat my problems as depression even though I was telling them I wasn’t depressed its somthing else. After many years of being put on one medication after another and none of them helping I finally WAS depressed (lol) and decided that no one could help me and resigned myself to live misrable. Then my Mother saw ADD And Loving It on PBS one night and called me to tell me what was wrong with me. The funny thing is that I’ve always know that it was ADHD but I didn’t know how to get help for it or I figured maybe I was wrong because two phychologist and several MD’s couldn’t be, right?

So then another funny thing, my Mother, StepFather and I all took the WHO self screening test and I scored the highest (two 9’s and the rest of the questions 10) with my Mom and Dad close behind me. On a side not we tried to get my Husband to take it but he refused, still in denile I guess. So that makes a family history of ADHD marrying ADHD but thankfully we’re all still married.

My husband and I are raising a 5 year old boy who is off the charts (if there is such a thing) ADHD. He hasn’t stopped moving since conception. It’s really because of the ADD and loving it movie that I decided the future was not so bleek and I could get help for me and my son. My Mother bought the DVD and then all of us sat down to watch it together, we had to pause it many times to laugh, cry. or say somthing like “that is so me/you!” and even though my husband wouldn’t take the assesment test he was definitly seeing himself.

So I finally decided to get really proactive because my health is detriorating and I decided while I was wrestling some MD’s down to get them to help my health I’d address the ADHD too and my new and improved GP refurred me to a wonderful clinic in town and I really like everyone there which makes all the stuff I have to talk to them about even easier. (I went for the ADHD and got that as my main diagnosis along with OCD, Borderline personality disorder due they said to past abuse(my biological father), and Generalized anxiety disorder so I have to go back for talk therapy, oh goody, not looking forward to that)

I decided since they were so good with me I felt good taking my son to them and he got to go in the next day. I got a comment from one of the people who worked there as we were waiting to go in that he was soooo precious. Of course he would act perfectly the one time I want him to be observed. So I’m thinking oh great, he is being unusually quiet and sitting and playing with an etch a sketch like a perfect wonder. Well that started to change when he got in the Dr’s office. He was really nervous because he suddenly realized that this wasn’t a “normal” MD. So he was really fidgety and didn’t want to sit down and I told her that was how he acts when he meets someone new and she said it was probubly his way of dealing with stress. So after five minutes she’s saying that she doesn’t really want to put a label on him at such a young age ect. Well he showed her (lol) by they end of the appointment he was, in her words, bouncing off the walls. (He literally did do some bouncing and banging into things) And with a raised brow she said he DEFINITLY had ADHD and could I come back later THAT DAY because as a PA she couldn’t prescribe what my son needed but the MD who would be there that afternoon could.

So we did and the MD after talking with us a bit and observing Harry decided that a theraputic trial was in order. (he said he rarely medicates young children but I explained to him how much my problems colored my childhood and that I didn’t want my son growing up that way too.) So for the next two days my Husband and I and my Son’s teachers will fill out some observation forms to get a baseline and then on saturday he starts med’s and we will fill out more observation forms then and the Dr. can then use that to see exactly how he needs to be dosed and what delivery system may work best for him. On the way out of the Dr’s office another of the staff there said how wonderfull and sweet he is. Talk about a charmer! He really does have that personality that people are drawn to. I had the same thing when I was younger, my mom struggled to get my teachers to understand that I really needed a firmer hand and they would let me get away with all sorts of stuff. Even though my son has what I consider good teachers I still tell them that they need to be firm as well. They understand but he is just so darn cute.

As for me, because I get so little sleep at night and I now do possibly have some depression with the anxiety I am on Trazidone since it has helped me in the past to sleep and Lexapro to stablize my anxiety and help my mood. I started Lexapro first without the trazidone last night just to make sure I don’t have a reaction and it went well and I was up at 5am! I have not been a morning person since I was 14! So it seams to have helped me sleep through the night but I still need the trazidone to get to sleep so I start that tonight and in a week or two we’ll see if the Lexapro has also stablized my mood. I feel much better already just getting some sleep, I couldn’t believe the difference it made to my day.

So that is my story. In two weeks I will probubly be starting ADD med’s, they just wanted to get the sleep and anxiety under control as much as they could first. So maybe very soon I’ll stop burning dinner, lighting the kitchen on fire, losing my car keys/purse/wallet/phone/anything else I touch and be in a better mood to boot. I am so greatful to my Husband and Mother for just MAKING me go get help and to eveyone who put together the ADD and loving it video and this website, as well as the self help screening tool, and I can’t wait to read ADD stole my car keys.

Oh, as a side not, since I got a good nights sleep the hyperactive part of my problems has be very notable today while my inatentaveness is mildly improved. I almost forgot to pick up my child from school on time though so its deffinitly still there.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

So as an up date I ended up getting saratonin syndrome from taking the lexapro and trazidone together. Turns out you aren’t supposed to start those two medications together untill you gave taken one of them by itself for a while. There’s an FDA warning on it and everything. I called the woman who prescribed them and she was very unhelpful. She didn’t think they were a problem. So I never went back to her and stopped taking them and felt better. Harry also never started his meds because the same week we found out that the singular he was taking might be causing some of the problem. So I took him off of it. (I have since been told by several doctors and nurses that he, a non asthmatic at the time, should have never been put on it. It may have even caused his asthma) I forgot to let his teacher know we had not yet started meds and so after a week they told me he was doing SO well on the medication! Their eyes got huge when they found out all I had done was take him off singular. So I also got off singular and my brain actually seemed better too. Not as many outbursts from either of as. Since we I was feeling better the longer I was off singular I decided to wait on medication either of us.

Now it’s almost a year later, things have leveled out, and it’s still obvious we need medication. So Harry just got his script for addiral and will start it in the morning and I’m waiting on my scrip cause my Dr. has been on vacation. Will do an update when I see how he does. He hasn’t stopped moving and making noise all day and I’ve had a headache. Ugh. And concentration is just out the window for both of us. Here’s hoping! :)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)