Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

It's as if I can finally start my life…

It's as if I can finally start my life…2012-12-27T20:19:01+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Excited/Relieved It's as if I can finally start my life…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey all, it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything on here, but lots has been going on in my life lately.

The biggest change has been taking medication and returning to work (although a vastly different position). I know it’s a little difficult to judge how well stimulants are working if you’re not at school or work, so it was quite a surprise to me when I started work…

After the initial anxiety from starting a new job wore off, I found myself being able to focus on my work, remember nearly everything my coworkers and supervisor say, and work very quickly and efficiently. Everybody kept commenting on how fast I was and how quickly I learned. It was great! I’ve never experienced anything like that before! All my previous experiences ranged from frustrating to traumatic.

Now, I don’t want to give all the credit to the meds… I think moving into a position that plays to my strengths (very technical, lots of computer use and organizational stuff) helped me tremendously too. Finally I think that this whole process of self-discovery has made me more aware of my strengths and limitations, and so now I focus on building my strengths and working around my limitations. I’m feeling pretty good now– it’s like I feel like my life is finally starting, and I can do whatever I choose…

It’s great to feel useful, competent, accepted and productive. This site has been a great resource for me and helped me tremendously. Thank you 😀

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Ah, grasshopper, you have learned the secret!

The meds can help you to function, but you need to become self-aware, figure out your strengths and limitations, and find a job that fits you.  When you find it, it will make a huge difference in your life.

Unfortunately for us, most of the jobs that really fit us, are part-time, and/or low-paying.  This is why so many people with mental disorders are chronically un- or under-employed.  And why mental illness costs the economy billions of dollars each year.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know! I do feel like I’ve uncovered a secret…

I agree with your assessment of jobs. While many of us can work around our limitations, it’s not easy, and there are too many jobs out there that would be a terrible fit. I feel very lucky indeed!

One demonstration I saw a while ago was to take out a pen and write a short sentence with your non-dominant hand. The point of that exercise was that while you can train yourself to do something you’re terrible at, it will always require a lot of effort and take a lot out of you. That’s what I found in my experience with work. I was doing jobs that I tried to “tough out”, but all I ended up doing was burning out. It was like writing with my right hand (I’m a lefty), but now I think I’m finally writing with my left, so to speak 😀

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)