Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Just Diagnosed – Where's the Party?

Just Diagnosed – Where's the Party?2011-09-27T18:44:19+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Have a Diagnosis, Now What? Just Diagnosed – Where's the Party?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Lucky77

Hi all!

Well, I just got an official diagnosis. It is confirmed that I have the combined form of ADHD. The Dr. actually congratulated me! (minus the balloons and confetti falling from the ceiling) Sounds funny, but she said it is a validating moment for folks with ADHD, and talked about being able to move forward.

Of course just starting to go through the feelings named “I wish I knew earlier”, “guilty for the sludge I have put my family and friends through”, and… “what now?”… *sniff*

Has anyone attended the “group sessions” usually offered locally? I am interested in the group sessions, however am not sure what to expect and have only been exposed to the group session you see in hollywood (Fight Club, 90s sitcom Dear John) EEK!

Any good books that worked well for you?

I currently am on medication and have counselling booked, and was just looking for any additional tips or support that has worked to supplement this.

Just want to also send a HUGE thanks to everyone here in the forums. Being able to see what other people go through has been very comforting.

HUGS for all the folks at totallyadd.com – your hard work is so appreciated! :D

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Wooohooo! Congrats! hahaha Its always a big relief to know its not just a character flaw!

These forums were a great help for me! From the stage where I was just diagnosed and still in denial about all of it… until now, where I FINALLY found the right med for me and have began to work WITH my ADD rather than against it! Meds help a lot… I got myself an ADD coach which helped a ton!! And of course reading some books! I havent finished reading them, I only read a bit here and there. Good ones I am reading are: “You Mean I’m Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!”, “ADD-friendly ways to Organize Your Life”, and “The Disorganized Mind- Coaching your ADHD Brain to Take Control of you Time, Tasks, and Talents”

A combination of the forum, meds, coach, and these books REALLY REALLY helped me! Well are still helping me! Good luck on your journey!

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

Thanks Carrie!

Yes, I was a bit scared that they would just tell me I’m lazy, stupid, or crazy… wait… guess I better read that one! LOL

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Congratulations! I know the feeling well – in my case it was one of relief. I was sure that if they said I didn’t have ADHD, then it meant I was likely a little bit crazy, or had early onset of Alzheimer’s or something equally alarming.

Even before the final diagnosis, I started attending the bi-weekly ADHD support group offered in Toronto, which I found on http://meetup.com and found it invaluable and very supportive. They’re careful about ensuring membership discretion, because not everyone wants anyone else to know they have ADHD: such as their employers. In our case, they try to have a different topic every week, which someone comes in and gabs about for 20 minutes, and then there is general discussion around the table (usually about 30-40 people attend). After that, we split up into a bunch of groups to have more deep discussions. Some of us go out afterward to a local coffee shop if we want to continue. Meetings usually start around 6:30 every other Monday, and end at 9:00ish. Let me know if you have any other questions.

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

Congrats! It really is a good feeling, all that relief! I agree with Carrie’s book choices – although I haven’t read the third one she mentioned, but from the title alone it sounds really helpful; I might have to take a look at that one myself! Another one that emphasizes the upbeat side of ADD is Ed Hallowell’s Delivered from Distraction.

Sounds like you have a great doctor! Good luck in your journey forward!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Funny, but when folks mention group sessions, etc. – I keep thinking back to those on Bob Newhart many years ago………..

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

wolfshades: Thanks a bunch! What an awesome recommendation, however there is no meetup group where I am, but the CHADD local chapter does. I agree with the anonymity of it – it seems these groups invite anyone who has ADHD or those that know someone who does. I go to Toronto every couple of months – perhaps I will check out the meeting days/times and who knows , I may be able to pop into one while I am there!

quizzical: Thanks for the additional recommendation! I looked at that book and was a bit scared off by the length of it, but am thinking of giving it a shot. Gotta love the library! Oh, and yes, this Dr. is fantastic. He isn’t my family Dr., but I have seen him through the years. Once my family Physician told me to “get over it” when I was seeing him about depression, I have kicked him to the curb!

billd: Yes, Newhart had that as well! Not the “bed and breakfast” Newhart, but the one when he was a shrink, I think. I see I’m not the only one brushed up on my 70s/80s pop culture! I will easily remember obscure and dated TV shows, but cannot seem to remember anything of importance… heehee.

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

Congratulations! LOL! What a weird thing to say, but it is such a relief to know what the heck is going on, right?

As far as group therapy goes, I had horrible luck with it myself, but am not willing to say everyone will. I was in two groups in college. I’m just horrible in groups, I think. Also, it was on a college campus, and they let kids from the school run the group, which was not their best idea. Now I’m just kind of shy of going into groups altogether, because those experiences left a bad taste in my mouth, and actually ended up making things worse for me.

However, if the people you find in a group are half as helpful as the people on this site, you will probably do very well. I imagine that if you find someone competent that runs a group, and facilitates it well, it will be a great experience.

Do me a favor if you join a group and let me know how it goes for you.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi L77……I did some work in a “Men’s Group”, about one year-ish. It was not ADD focused, it was a men’s issues group, but I really did enjoy the experience. I guess I am suggesting (at least for me) that a group setting for speaking out on my issues did not have to be ADD specific, there was a huge benefit to just working through things, and just listening and sharing in a non judgmental open environment. It was amazing where the group experience would go and what benefits could be derived.

Groups are a little difficult to find, and mens’ (I do not know your gender) are a little more difficult yet. If i may suggest, should you find a group, it’s fair to ask what the premise is, and what the group conditions are. There should be a defined set of rules that the group operates under….if they suit your needs……..dive in. What is the risk, or the down side?? Either way you will likely learn something about yourself and how bad can that be????

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

billd

>>I will easily remember obscure and dated TV shows, but cannot seem to remember anything of importance… heehee. <<

That’s me to a T……….

You get into those groups and discover that wow, not everyone is as “connected” and “all together” as you’d think……… it’s a good way to learn and learn to feel better about yourself. (as long as it’s not like the Possum Lodge men’s group thing…)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)