Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Just Discovered the totallyadd website

Just Discovered the totallyadd website2011-01-02T10:03:50+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey My Story Just Discovered the totallyadd website

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tomorrow I intend to make an appointment to the doctor to check if I have adult ADD. I have watched all the videos on the site and I see myself in the many scenarios. I completed the virtual test and ticked yes on 17/18 questions. I am 47 and have struggled for many years with organizational tasks, getting things done, being consistent etc. My wife calls me half done. I have all the intentions of doing good but fall short. I am at the crossroads. I feel now that I have fallen well short of being the great husband or father.

Could my ADD be a result of a head trauma? I received a serious concussion when I was 16 and was in hospital for week. I was unconscious for 3 days. I felt from this point I was never the same. Thank you! Brian

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Hi Brian,

Welcome. Indeed ADHD symptoms can be the result of a brain injury. From what the Doctors have told us, the main area of the brain that is problematic is the Prefrontal Lobes. The part above the eyes, just behind the forehead. It’s the last part of the brain to have evolved in humans, it’s the master controller in some ways. PET scans have shown that in ADHD individuals the is far less activity here. It’s amazing to see the difference between an ADHD brain and a Non-ADHD brain.

One of the Doctors we interviewed recently, Dr. Derryck Smith from Vancouver, talked about one of his patients who seemed to be an anomaly. ADHD is very genetic, and runs in families. But no one else in the patient’s family had ADHD. When Dr. Smith finally asked, “Have you ever had a brain injury?” the patient calmly replied, “Yes, when I was a teenager.”

Derryck was surprised, “Why didn’t you mention this earlier?”

The answer? “You never asked.”

It happened twice more, with different patients. Now he always asks patients if they’ve every had a brain injury.

Also, the first time stimulant medications were used to treat ADHD-like symptoms was in 1937 on a group of children who had brain damage from an encephalitis epidemic in the 20’s or 30’s.

So yes, injury to the brain can indeed cause ADHD.

R

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Rick,

Thank you for this information. I will go to the doctor and talk to him.

My wife and I watched all Bill’s Adventures and had a great laugh. What a hoot! I can now see how my behaviours have impacted particularly on my wife who carries most of the load in keeping the household organised and running.

My work as a school principal in a large school is interesting. Just trying, but failing in keeping my desk tidy is a chore in itself. Thank goodness for my mobile phone which is my reminder secretary. Each day it reminds me of the many things I need to get done. My wife laughs at me when it continually goes into alarm 20 + times a day. I need it though otherwise I get frazzled very quickly. It is great having very organised people around me at school. I have all the big ideas and they fill in the details for me and take action. I keep to my strengths and this works well. Cheers Brian

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)