Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Keeping a journal

Keeping a journal2009-11-30T22:33:16+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Keeping a journal

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Elizabeth – I have a budget book I made myself; I divide the page in 3 columns, 1rst pay of the month, 2nd and 3rd. Then I divide each pay amount in sections enumerated below from insurances payment, accounts to pay, lunch money, extra (for little unexpected needs), Christmas, vacation, food and so on. I cover everything. I divide each of the 3 pays to make it so that at the end of the month, everything is covered, keeping about 10$ to 20$ of each pay from it in case of eventual adjustments. In the meantime, it’s in my pocket :)

I know it seems a little basic. I think making sure every expense is covered is crucial. And you have to tell yourself that the money put in the Christmas, vacation or accounts to pay sections are frozen to you. ‘Do not touch’. It works well for me. If there is one thing that I don’t worry about, it’s my budget!

I hope it helps.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone, something that I have recently began to do, is to use the voice recording software on my cell phone. Most wireless companies bundle in this type of software. It has been very handy in getting quick thoughts documented, or especially reminders. I have a button on the phone designated to activate the program with one touch, and away I go. It’s so quick, that I can be as ADHD as I need to be, and still get my thoughts and task captured.

Downloading to the Desktop is a snap, and with a few additional but short keystrokes one can quickly put the recordings in the right file for the right month, day, or topic.

Regards

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have problems with journals too… requires discipline… remembering…

I tried dragon software on my computer years back, but it wasn’t very accurate… maybe because I speak softly… but still a good idea if it works for you.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use a piece of software called Rednotebook. http://rednotebook.sourceforge.net/ It’s free and you can set it up to start as soon as you boot up your computer. So if you’re good at typing, you can give it a try. I enjoy using it as an agenda as well.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have kept TONS of journals!

I don’t know where ANY of them are, and every one of them has all of two or three, and some only ONE entry.

Couldn’t tell you what ANY of them say.

Hey!

SQUIRREL!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I keep my journals together and always at the same place, in a plastic bag. Except the current one which is near my rocking-chair. Hey, by the way… a rocking-chair is great for ADD! I mean… constant movement without looking foolish! I could not live without mine :-)

MrXxx – The Squirrel… I laughed so much! Thanks :-) So representative of our ever distracted minds!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I started keeping a journal of sorts, I write down my daily activiteis, what I do when how much I acomplish etc.., adding in some personall thoughts here & there. It helps me to not procrastinate & lets me know I am getting things done. I am self imployed & keeping my daily log keeps me on track. I just joined this outfit, so please bear with me as I become familir with it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I will second using Red Notebook. I have used it for a couple years. Of course I have been very bad about keeping journaling going during that time. But I keep coming back to it.

I do find it useful for some basic tracking and thought/reminder stuff. And I used it to vent. It’s supposed to be a part of my stratagy to manage my ADD. You can setup Templates that you can then load that has some pre-entered data like reminders to take your meds, checklists or otherthings. I havent done it in over a week. Well. since we moved to our new house. Need to bring it back out.

MrXxx, ref to squirrel. There is a Tshirt that says something about people not understanding ADHD and look a chicken!. My daughter who is ADHD in a big way and I were joking about the Tshirt in the car when she stopped in mid sentance, pointed and yelled “Squirrel!” There was a brief pause as we looked at the furry creature, realizing what just happened and then just fell over laughing.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Keeping a journal of events can cue a flood of images and memories that otherwise have pretty much been lost or forgotten.

Just a few written words or sentences can do this.

When I do this, keep a journal or log, and read it later, I sometimes find it to be very rewarding, like a personal treasure from my life experience.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)