Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Learning disabbilitys and ddhd

Learning disabbilitys and ddhd2010-11-11T11:47:00+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Learning disabbilitys and ddhd

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

trashman

HI sorry , to bother you all I am just wondering if Iam the only one on this site the with reading , writting ,gramer andspelling problems or am I just a little slow.

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

First off, you’re not bothering anybody. This is exactly what the site is for. :)

Secondly, if you have been diagnosed with ADHD and a Learning Disability, then you are not “Slow”. Slow in this context refers to someone with an intellectual disability. Someone with a Learning Disability is of average or above average intelligence who has specific weaknesses. Someone who is “Slow” is of less than average intelligence. (Don’t mind me, I’m teacher with Special Ed training.)

Thirdly, no, you are not the only person with reading, writing, grammar and spelling problems here. A lot of people with ADHD also have learning disabilities as well. Or even if they don’t, their issues with attention interfered with them learning those subjects, or makes it more difficult for them to apply what they know to their reading and writing.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

thank you, Iwill be getting my test results on friday from the four hour testing i had afew weeks back.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ivriniel,

Well put!!!! I am a college graduate whose I.Q falls within the normal range. My mother has mentioned that I was slow on more then one occassion. I told her the exact same thing as you have but she doesn’t get it. My ex is a Special Ed teacher and she doesn’t get it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Probably not even a little slow Trashman. You probably think of stuff that others would never have come up with and then you’re wondering how in the world they can’t see it like you can. I read a great book called “In the Mind’s Eye” about learning disabilities and the different way of seeing that many people w/ LD have and that the world could benefit from, if only they could figure out how to do so.

My brother and I both have inattentive ADD and he has LD and I don’t. Or I didn’t think I did until I began studying for my praxis for teaching sped and realized that I have an auditory processing disorder and that explains why I’ve always received a garbled message when people are speaking. Oh I get most of it, but if someone says there is a meeting on such and such a date and such and such a time and it’s very important that you be there and I’ll dutifully write it down and then be off by a month when the time comes. I must see it in writing to get it straight. Also, I tend to have a poor memory for things that people have told me and that’s bad for social skills. Funny thing is, people tell me I’m a good listener!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

trashman,the “slow” for many ADD/ADHDers (when not in conjunction with developmental disability(ies)) tends to be due to needing to sort through all of the white-noise in your own head before you can even know what you’re thinking. For me the medication has helped a lot. The diagnosis can — depending on your school & doctor — also get you accomodations like extra testing time. I never passed an algebra class until I got 150% of the allocated time for quizes & tests in a quiet room. Now I’m working on my pre-req’s to apply to a masters program for math education. You may find that you not only can do well, but enjoy subjects that previously were daunting.

Peace & happy learning

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a pretty high-upper average IQ but it seems like my brain works slower than anyone else’s, which is a pain when I want to participate in conversations that ping and pong amusingly all over the place. Oh well.

But here’s how I see my brain: it’s like a maze that I’m going thru for the first time. Things go in, and they hit a wall. Oops, gotta go another way, but wait, look at that pretty bird over there. . . oh yeah, I’m in a maze–now let’s see how we can go this time. Oops, another wall. Eventually I’ll get there and it will be an interesting process, but it’s certainly not a straight shot. In that sense, I’m slow.

Another thing to know: in sped circles it’s “common knowledge” that AD/HD comes with about a 10 point higher than average IQ, and that 1/6 of those with LD are also gifted. In order to be dxed with LD, you have to have at least an average IQ, so it’s unlikely that any of us here are “slow.” Too fast for most people most likely and we can understand things that most people would never dream of.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

thanks the only reason I keep saying a iam slow is on my test that they did to test for adhd they said I have an IQ of 86 which is on the very low to borderline. with six other learning and developemental things going on. the funny thing is i was told that I was only two points from being slow.my biggest problem is i left school and one of my learing challanges is called visuwal spaceuall . then that effects my spelling .then if you add that to my memory problems,iget up set because ican think faster than i can t type very fast and my brain wants to go faster than my ffingers and than i am to slow down,justto get frusterated . which does not helpor when i start reading some thing i lose my place and then i have to start over because i can not remember what i have read.so i would like to know at what time am i concidered to have a legal dissiabillitys. i am at a loss how to move forward.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Trashman:

contact your local DSHS (Department of Social and Health Services). They will be able to tell you if you’re eligible for services, which ones, and help you fill out the paperwork.

For social security (in US) check-out: http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Trashman, I can see why you’re frustrated and I would be too. All I’m saying is that I wouldn’t automatically accept that IQ number b/c I’ve seen far too many kids with AD/HD be put into a class for those with a lower IQ. Here’s an example. I work with sped kids in high school and was reading a test to a couple of our kids. I had one boy in there who has the maximum amount of AD/HD that I’ve ever seen on a person. He is in the lowest sped classes–the ones where they’ve given up trying to teach them 2+2. They just teach them how to read a clock and count change at that point. I got up to get a drink of water and the young man blurted out that we had 26 more problems left and I did a double take. He wasn’t supposed to know that–he had no time to count the remaining problems so it had to be subtraction–that is, 35-9=26! He was not supposed to know that–he’s not even “supposed” to know 2+2. Needless to say, I’ll be going to bat for him to have him retested, but I doubt they’ll listen to me–fortunately though, his case manager did.

Think of it this way: if they’re testing your IQ and you’re distracted by anything, you’re not going to do well. Maybe you’re hungry, maybe the test is boring, maybe it’s worded in such a way that it makes absolutely no sense to you. There could be any number of reasons and one could be that the counselor doing the testing just “doesn’t get it.” That happens a lot btw. My cousin had her 6 yo tested and he tested low b/c it was done during recess and lunch time and went on for over 2 hours and he was so worried about missing his lunch that he just popped out any answer to get them to hurry up. They got someone more competent to do it and it turns out that he may have an IQ of over 140.

So, if I can make any difference at all, I want to leave you with this: DO NOT ACCEPT THIS NUMBER. If you doubt it’s so, you’re probably right. If you want to test yourself, look up a non-verbal IQ test on the net and see how you do–you know the kind where you see which way the box is oriented and that type of thing.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

thanks, tinkywink i really am just trying to learn what areas ican fix and whitch i am stuck with. i find even with taking my concerta i still fell rushed. the good thing is it is working or i would not be able to sit here and typ with one finger and not just get frusterated. so i feel that this is already a big plus.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, so trashman, your first assignment on concerta is to take a typing class or find a good online tutorial and practice with all 10. You’re going to need all of your fingers to type from now on. ; )

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

tinkywink, so far still getting a lot wrong . the thing i am learning is i have to slow down, so i will keep praticing.THANKS SO MUCH trashman

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

@ t-man:

I second the assignment from tinkywink. When your fingers can keep up with the flow of your thought processes, you’ll be amazed—-it’s likely to open up a whole new world for you in terms of expressing yourself and seeing what you’re really capable of. I do understand that frustrations with spelling don’t make it any easier. But I’m glad to hear you’re practising and not giving in. And if you take a typing course, it will train your hands, using physical memory, to type with all of your fingers.

Two other thoughts: I have a *very* hard time believing that your IQ is “very low to borderline.” I believe that you would score much higher given proper time to complete every question, for one thing. Also, I have the very same problem you describe with reading (i.e., losing your place and having to start over because you can’t remember what you’ve read).

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Trashman,

I’ve been following along; don’t give up I started in the same boat you are in I still have a long way to go but I’m comming along you’ll make it I know you will since you have exhibited enough patience to type in your entrys into this website. Hang in there brother! Hang in there!

K

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)