Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Left right confussion

Left right confussion2012-05-09T13:24:43+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Excited/Relieved Left right confussion

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ipsofacto

I’m new on the forum, and at the age of 55, recently diagnosed. I did a search but couldn’t find a related thread, so I apologize if this has been discussed before.

As a child I had problems with left and right. At some point in my late teens I seemed to resolve this and gave it no further thought until I moved to the US from the UK about 18 years ago. Suddenly, especially when driving I started to mix up left and right again. Eventually I reasoned that for me, right as in right turn meant turning across traffic and now in the US this no longer applied. Is this an example of the conceptual learning style of ADDers. Thinking back, my confusion of left and right ceased during my first couple of years of driving.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I always need to think about left and right. It’s the way I’ve always been. North south east and west are also a challenge. My GPS saves me huge amounts of time and gas.

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

BTW I posted in this section because excited/relieved is how I feel every time some part of my past starts to make sense.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

ipso,

I too have a problem with the whole left/right thing. It may be ADD or something else not wired correctly in my head. What works for me, when I am giving directions or taking them, is “my side” and “your side”. The whole left right thing is eliminated and I can concentrate on the direction we need to go.

REPORT ABUSE

Ginniebean

I still have to think each time when it comes to left/right. I sincerely think I’d end up dead if I had to change sides of the road. What I think you are experiencing is one of the thousands of compensations we make in order to function has now been foiled.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)