Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

"Life in the Subjunctive Mood"

"Life in the Subjunctive Mood"2011-09-05T14:56:10+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Stuck in Regret/Anger "Life in the Subjunctive Mood"

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Wgreen
    Participant

I’ve decided that’s going to be the title of my book—the one I’ll never get around to writing—about the people I’ve met here. The subjunctive is a verb mood that expresses hypothetical (but unfulfilled) conditions/situations : “If I WERE (fill in the blank), I would/could….”

It’s falling out of use in the English vernacular, but the subjunctive still hangs on in other languages. And it expresses perfectly the “what-if” lives of (most) people who contend with ADD/ADHD.

I know. I know. We all have to learn to confront our “indicative” issues, whether it’s dealing with a serious injury, the loss of a spouse/partner/child, ADD, a natural disaster, or something else. Life is full of challenges. Still, for those of us with ADD who have reached middle age, it’s hard not to lie awake at night and wonder what might have been—and what could still be—if only….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Too much heartbreak.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)