Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Listening to Lecture While Working Out

Listening to Lecture While Working Out2013-01-06T23:26:18+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Time Management Listening to Lecture While Working Out

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

pancakes

I think best while doing a monotonous activity, so I figure I may absorb my lectures better if I listen to them while on the bike or treadmill or elliptical. This would save me valuable time. Has anyone ever done this? If so, how did you find it?

REPORT ABUSE

haraldbenz

Doesn’t work for me. My mind wonders off in no time.

I used to read an awful lot when I was young. It was a nice way to escape for me. Had no problems concentrating and pretty much devoured books en mass.
    Later on I lost this ability. Couldn’t read a page without my mind drifting off. This was really annoying me to no end. It’s not that I lost interest in reading or such, I just couldn’t finish a book.
    Than one day I had an epiphany. I was watching some movie about U-boats in WW2 when I realized that in my head was Glenn Miller music playing. It had nothing to do with the movie, it was just in my head. Strange.
    Then it hit me. I used to always listen to music when reading. Not loud, though. Just loud enough to make the noise and other distractions disappear. As a kid I was for a while reading everything I could get my hands on about WW2 and U-boats in particular. When I was reading those books I had always a Glenn Miller record playing, over and over and over.

Funny how the mind works. Now when reading on my iPhone I have always music turned on as well. No problem finishing books anymore. 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Welcome to the coolest zoo in town pancakes. I like your login name, very cool. Got maple syrup?.

It’s amazing how many times we used to listen to the same albums over n over n over back in the early 80’s, 70’s, etc. Hyper-focus. Nowadaise I have to fire up the computer and re-design my playlists if I hear the same song twice in a single month. Okay I eggzagerate.

The world has gone crazy, but I’ve decided I’m not coming with. I’m better off staying here

At the zoo. grrr

REPORT ABUSE

Phil, Just Phil.
    Participant

Hey welcome Pancakes.  (mmm, welcome pancakes)  err sorry.

It has been suggested many many times that physical movement helps ADDers with their brain function, so I suggest this is what you are experiencing. 

Glenn Miller, ha, remember going through a phase during my high school years (about 15 years ago now) loving his back catalogue.  Quite a guitar player too.  Yeah, I found music helped sometimes, otherwise it just compounded my lack of interest in what I was doing.

World has gone mad indeed Robbo, maybe one day it will be as far gone as we are hehehe. But I think it has gone in a decidedly sad (one) direction. 

Ouch, just another clown sinking the boot into those boys, Mum would be so proud.

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

@Pancakes, I wish I had thought of that in university. I find audio lectures one of the hardest things to focus on. Rewind. Rewind. Rewind…

Like you, @Haraldbenz, I also used to read tons of books when I was young but somewhere along the line lost the ability to finish a book. I’ve been trying to figure out what happened. Music isn’t a factor for me like it was for you. I think it might have to do with TV/internet. I default to screens now instead of reading.  Also, I have a hard time sticking with one book and tend to be trying to read about 15 all at the same time, never finishing any.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I used to have a stack of books (including the excellent series of “Uncle John’s Bathroom Readers”) & magazines in the bathroom, and I’d always read on the loo.

Then, all of a sudden, after starting on Concerta, I cleared out the books, and now go in there, do what I have to do, and get out.

Weird, eh?

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

It’s fun to just stop by and read here, all you freaks really crack me up. Thanks for the entertainment gang.

I think I’ll start calling my mom mum!, guess this means I’m gonna have to call her then, huh?. Yikes… She might think I really love her. Sometimes it’s a good idea to just call mum and tell her I love her then shut up and listen. In theory, I’m sure this can be a good experience.

It’s possible for me to actually shut up and listen at the same time. I’m raising the bar.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)