Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

living with Add

living with Add2010-12-01T20:23:15+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! Other living with Add

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

mikecor18

hello to all here this is my first post here to this site just found out about it by flipping though the channels on the tv and came across vpt where playing the tv show about add and gave this site for us living with add.

i was first diagnosed with add at the beginning of high school but had a very rough time in elementary for the teachers just did not under stand what was going on and why i was having such a hard time doing my work in class and at home so they just placed me in the special ed classes so that they would not have to deal with me. and that did make me a little angry and frustrated for i was trying my best to get the work done but was unable too. the same in high school it was not until eighth grade that they figured out hay maybe there might be something else wrong. and that is when i got tested by the school shrink who then sent me to the children hospital in montreal for further testing and that is when my mother was given the results that i had add and that is why i was having such trouble in school. so flash forward to today i have been coping with it now with out any meds of any kind even as a child my mother refused to have me on any meds which could have helped me out but i will never know. and now i have found ways around some of the problems i have faced but still struggling with it day by day i hope now that my wife has now read and watched some of the content here she will be more understanding of what i have to go though on a daily basis. i just now hope that my kids do not have to go though what i did and get diagnosed early enough to get the help they need.

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

Mikecor18 said:

so flash forward to today i have been coping with it now with out any meds of any kind even as a child my mother refused to have me on any meds which could have helped me out but i will never know.

It’s not too late Mike. If you want to see if Meds can help you, you can still talk to a Doctor about trying them. I’m 37, and I just started Concerta last month.

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Mike – your story is kind of sad really. To learn at such a young age about your having ADD, and not being given the tools to handle it. I’ve been in the workforce for years and have *just* been diagnosed by a psychiatrist. Like you, I learned different ways around my ADD all of my life, without ever realizing that what I was going through wasn’t “normal”. I figured everyone else had the same struggles as I did – only I thought they managed it much better.

Now, after all of this time, I found out that I had this…thing….that was preventing me from reaching my full potential. And even at this later stage in life, I FULLY intend to get my hands on whatever tools are available, if only to move forward and reach some of the goals that have never been reachable for me. This includes medications, cognitive therapy, and even martial arts.

Like Ivriniel said, it’s never too late to turn things around. I sincerely hope you’ll take advantage of whatever tools you need to help you focus in order to reach some of your goals.

REPORT ABUSE

mikecor18

i thank you both for your kind reply and will do my best to seek and use any tools provided to me to help me though out life i wish you both the same of reaching your goals.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)