Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

living without meds

living without meds2011-07-26T16:12:18+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

What are some of you doing to live with Add/Inattentive without taking prescription meds??

REPORT ABUSE

caper

look at the webinars archive; tonight’s discussion had some ideas.

REPORT ABUSE

Bibliophile

I survived for many years not on meds, but with serious repercussions. I stopped the stimulants when I was 12 after a number of years of benefit from them. In my situation, it was a control issue and I have never liked relying on medication. It took years to develop coping strategies and lot of tutoring, most of which wasn’t helpful. I am back to taking meds now, many years later, because of work and family stresses that are making it more difficult to rely solely on coping strategies anymore

Some of the strategies I rely on:

• A planner (preferably digital) that is used for planning not only what needs to be done but when I have to start on it. If digital, it must have reminders in place.
    • Making sure I do things as I am given them. Right then and there. If they are put off, the likelyhood of completion is greatly diminished and approaches never.
    • Work extremely fast. Text can be checked after the fact. Attention is like an hourglass with the sands continually falling a rapid rate. The goal is to finish the task before the metaphoric sand is out.
    • Stick-it reminder notes in prominent places as reminders, e.g. on computer screen that I stare at for hours each day.
    • Avoid driving as much as possible as being distracted while driving is just downright dangerous.
    • Do a chore before doing anything fun just to make sure some of the chores get done.

There are more, I am sure, but these are the ones I can quickly come up with. I would say that I would not have developed as much anxiety as I have if I had worked out coping strategies sooner or probably stayed on meds.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@librarian_chef

I love that list. I think that would benefit me a lot. The part with the digital planner having reminders is definitely a must. I can’t count the number of times I have an alarm set so I’ll do something but then decide to keep doing what I’m doing instead.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I customized my droid to be organizational friendly. The front screen has a digital sticky note and my calendar because I am not going to remember to slide my thumb to see the other screens to look. I also have the little grocery list icon there. because if you turn on your phone, i can’t help but look at the sticky note and calendar. right now, I’m just feeling defeated every time I open my phone. it’s getting late, so I should probably do at least one thing on the growing to do list.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)