Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Make Time for the Work That Matters – Harvard Business Review

Make Time for the Work That Matters – Harvard Business Review2013-09-08T18:23:12+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Time Management Make Time for the Work That Matters – Harvard Business Review

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Irish10
    Participant

blackdog

But, what do you do if you have no one to outsource the work to? 🙁

It is an excellent strategy, for any kind of work. I often would pile too much on myself at work, convinced that I had to do it myself for one reason or another. Im the only one who knows how to do it right, it will take longer to explain it to someone than it will to do it, I shouldn’t push my work onto someone else, etc. But my best days were always when I did delegate tasks more. By lightening my work load I was able to float more and help in all areas while still doing the things that I had to do.

Now if only I could “outsource” my housework…

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

This is very good.

Whilst we may or may not be able to outsource, we can decide what is most important to us. Yes I know prioritising is really difficult, but if you ask yourself which task is going to benefit you most, then do that task first.  You may not be liked by your colleagues if you do that because they have probably used you as their dumping ground whilst they use the priority strategy. This is something I am slowly learning at work. Watch this space as I start to say NO …… if I pluck up enough courage to cut the need to say yes…..

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@Scattybird, That is so true. That is exactly the situation I always found myself in at work. Doing all the things that the others didn’t want to do and chose to “delegate” to me. Learning to say no is difficult but sometimes you just have to.

I am considering working from home for my next job. That way I can make my own schedule and prioritize the way that works for me and not have anyone around to pester me and disrupt my day. And I don’t have to worry about being on time. 🙂

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)